AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Deftones - Adrenaline Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Deftones - Adrenaline

Reviewed by: eatbabiesyum (07/03/10)
Deftones - Adrenaline
Record Label: Maverick, Warner Bros.
Release Date: October 3, 1995

After all the recent fuss over their fantastic new album Diamond Eyes, it’s easy to forget where it all started. Emerging in the mid-90’s quickly growing nu-metal scene, Deftones separated themselves from the rest of the pack with a more controlled and calculated brand of nu-metal. With a broader range of influences in comparison to their peers, Deftones crafted a sound that’s artistic in a sea of bands based solely around aggression.

Though that’s not say their debut Adrenaline wasn’t full of it. The band’s now very present new wave and shoe gaze influences were only slight with Adrenaline, as their debut was about as full of aggression as an album can be. Adrenaline starts with “Bored”, a simple yet great song that shows a nice balance between both the lighter and heavier sides of the band. Things then slow down a bit with “Minus Blindfold” and “One Weak”, two solid tracks that lead up to the explosion that is “Nosebleed”. Bouncing between Chino’s whispered vocals and his signature screams, this song is nu-metal at its rawest, and is distinctly Deftones.

The album gets progressively heavier leading up to the monster of a song “Engine No. 9”. Chino raps and screams to a fast and crushing rhythm that still stands today as one of the most intense songs I have ever heard. It’s easy to see how Deftones influenced deathcore acts like Suicide Silence and Whitechapel.

This is a much rawer and simpler Deftones than the band we know today, but a level of sophistication remains. The chaos is always controlled, and the songs are hardly skin-deep (as opposed to much of nu-metal). Adrenaline was a great debut and is very similar to Korn’s self-titled debut, the biggest difference being Deftones artistic approach to the genre. An element that has always set Deftones apart and that has helped them grow into the more developed Deftones we now know.

Recommended If You LikeKorn, early Limp Bizkit

http://www.myspace.com/deftones

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
06:01 PM on 07/08/10
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
limp bizkit....it does not sound like...at all. and how dare u not mention root.
08:06 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
limp bizkit....it does not sound like...at all. and how dare u not mention root.

this album influenced eary limp bizkit (their first album), and the influence is quite noticable. deftones took them on tour repeatidly and fred even guested on engine no. 9 often live. fred took a lot of pointers from chino vocally on that record too.

though i wouldn't be surprised if you havn't heard old LB, as it's not the more mainstream sound that band got later on.

oh and about root...there's no excuse for that. amazing song. sorry :/
09:17 PM on 07/08/10
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
this album influenced eary limp bizkit (their first album), and the influence is quite noticable. deftones took them on tour repeatidly and fred even guested on engine no. 9 often live. fred took a lot of pointers from chino vocally on that record too.

though i wouldn't be surprised if you havn't heard old LB, as it's not the more mainstream sound that band got later on.

oh and about root...there's no excuse for that. amazing song. sorry :/
honestly i was unaware that chino and fred ever shared a stage let alone influenced eachother...seriously. and your right i havent really listened to EARLY limp but i assumed it wasnt as hard or even as melodic as Adrenaline.
09:29 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
honestly i was unaware that chino and fred ever shared a stage let alone influenced eachother...seriously. and your right i havent really listened to EARLY limp but i assumed it wasnt as hard or even as melodic as Adrenaline.

yeah old limp bizkit is WAY different than their later stuff. it's still LB, but it was much rawer. i've heard many people say they love/like LB's first album, but hate their later stuff. and yeah adrenaline is heavier and more melodic, and has a lot more punch.
10:31 PM on 07/08/10
Simulcast
Light without heat
User Info.
100%. Plus you forgot "Fist", so add 10%.

110%
10:38 PM on 07/08/10
Simulcast
Light without heat
User Info.
Also, Birthmark is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard... and it's in standard tuning. Holy shit I want to punch someone just thinking about it.
11:33 PM on 07/08/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
Also, Birthmark is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard... and it's in standard tuning. Holy shit I want to punch someone just thinking about it.

yeah not many bands can make really heavy songs in standard tuning. reason number 314876148974123 why deftones are amazing
05:28 AM on 07/09/10
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
7 Words! Wait a minute, am I being a bit too obvious here?

Great review, dude! Pleasant surprise seeing this on the front page...
06:26 AM on 07/09/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Adrenaline is awesome. It was the first actual CD I ever bought (before that I owned several cassette tapes...and before you make fun of my age, I'm only 25 haha) and I still love it to this day. I did own Limp Bizkit's first album (TDBY&) back in 1997 when it came out but I got rid of that trash not too long after whereas deftones have been quality non-stop.
10:13 AM on 07/09/10
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
good debut, especially since i was 11-12 when i got it. but mannnnnnn they got so much better.
11:30 AM on 07/09/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
7 Words! Wait a minute, am I being a bit too obvious here?

Great review, dude! Pleasant surprise seeing this on the front page...
thanks and 7 words is one of my favorite songs off this...the bassline...the build...the punch...just perfect
but this and the other songs i didn't mention, all have about the same characterisitcs of why i love them. so i didn't want to reiterate the same thing over and over again, though i still should've mentioned them...
11:33 AM on 07/09/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
Adrenaline is awesome. It was the first actual CD I ever bought (before that I owned several cassette tapes...and before you make fun of my age, I'm only 25 haha) and I still love it to this day. I did own Limp Bizkit's first album (TDBY&) back in 1997 when it came out but I got rid of that trash not too long after whereas deftones have been quality non-stop.

yeah i thought LB's debut was good, but more that it was a fun album. where adrenaline is awesome because it's simply put together so well. this album is and always will be a classic,
oh and im writing a review for around the fur right now actually...i want to complete the deftones catalog on here, they definatly deserve that
11:34 AM on 07/09/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
good debut, especially since i was 11-12 when i got it. but mannnnnnn they got so much better.

yeah they really did. their new stuff is amazing. and i do hate when i see people claim that they "went mainstream" after adrenaiine. how they can't see how much they improved....it's just crazy
11:48 AM on 07/09/10
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
if i had to rank:

white pony
around the fur
diamond eyes
ST
Adrenaline
SNW
Options