Password

Album Review

Analog Rebellion - Ancient Electrons Album Cover

Analog Rebellion - Ancient Electrons

Reviewed by
Analog RebellionAncient Electrons
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: January 26th, 2010
A lot can change between the ages of 17 and 20. You can head off to college, develop potential long-term relationships, sign to a major label, tour nationally, and get dropped from said label all in that three year span. This was the case for Daniel Hunter and his project formerly known as PlayRadioPlay!.

Under the moniker of PlayRadioPlay!, Dan released one EP (The Frequency EP) and a full length album (Texas) for Island Records. Both releases were of the sugary pop synth genre that were dripping in cheesy musical clichés. From the corny lyrics, to childish electronic beats, Dan made music exclusively for young teenagers. Then something happened; Daniel Hunter grew up. He changed his name to Analog Rebellion, and while his music maintains the use of electronic elements, he now adds a stadium rock vibe, and in turn gave himself the genre label of “stadium-lo-fi”.

Dan’s first album released under the name Analog Rebellion, is Ancient Electrons – a refreshingly great take on stadium rock. Crunching guitars and steady paced drumming with synthy electronics gives this album a very atmospheric feel; very airy.

The album opens with “Brain ≠ Heart (I Need To Know),” which fits the above descriptions perfectly. Dan’s high vocals soar over steady drums, nice keys, and huge build-up that segue into jam-esque guitar solos. The song goes up and down in levels and ends with a huge flourish.

The great thing about this record is how each song flows together, really upping the value of an album’s worth. “Brain ≠ Heart” transitions perfectly into “A Particularly Long Elevator Shaft,” which leads into one of the albums highlights, “A Real Clever Trick Fur A Bear.”

“Clever Trick” opens with a nice relaxed synth beat, with other interesting elements. It also shows another area of growth Dan has experienced; lyrics. This song, as well as others on the album, has a very clever tongue in cheek vibe, making it an easy favorite with its great beat and what I believe to be the use of the e-bow on the guitars.

“You’ve Been Had (Machine)”, is a real kick in the face, with Its build up to big guitars and cymbals. This song proves that his new music could fit on stage along side big stadium rock bands like Muse. You can hear his influences throughout this song, from the likes of The Secret Machines to Radiohead.

The growth on this record is astounding. From the synth happy “Sombrero Negro” to the best song on the record “Marla Singer Doesn’t Take Standardized Tests (Disposable Smile),” you can see that Dan has really grown. Again lyrically it is a huge step forward and the song earns even more points with an awesome Fight Club reference.

Ancient Electrons touches on some bigger themes then just the regular girls and relationships approach, but rather it touches on political and social issues. Not to say it does not get angsty in spots, but it is nowhere near the cutesy babble that littered his PlayRadioPlay! efforts.

The album suffers in places, and that could be due to its 15-song length. Songs like “The Parasite Life” could have been cut as well as the interludes “All These Parasites, Uh Huh” and “North Korea + Kim Jong II’s Fat Fucking Face” could also have been kicked to the curb.

Yes a lot of the songs have terrible names but should not be a turn off to what the songs contain. If this growth between records is any indication of what is to come from Dan and Analog Rebellion then he can have me as a fan forever. If the maturity and musicianship improve this much to the next record, then listeners should be prepared for greatness. Daniel Hunter could very well take over your scene.

Recommended If You LikeThe Secret Machines, A serious, mature, musically advanced PlayRadioPlay!, Alive In Wild Paint, Lydia
This review is a user submitted review from HometownHero. You can see all of HometownHero's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
10:44 PM on 07/07/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
great album, he's only getting better
11:56 AM on 07/08/10
HometownHero
User Info.
great album, he's only getting better
I can't wait for his next EP. And future albums. He is amazing.
01:15 PM on 07/08/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
"I wanna be an astronaut and get high"

I'm sorry, I know it's the wrong album. Just one of my favorite lines.

And I agree, Fight Club references never hurt.
01:24 PM on 07/08/10
HometownHero
User Info.
"I wanna be an astronaut and get high"

I'm sorry, I know it's the wrong album. Just one of my favorite lines.

And I agree, Fight Club references never hurt.
Some of the PlayRadioPlay! lyrics get so many lols. Haha they were pretty bad.
11:11 PM on 07/08/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Great album, great review. I can't stand when people say they miss PRP!, this is such an improvement.
11:30 PM on 07/08/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Never actually took the time to listen to anything this guy put out, but your review is tempting me to.
12:06 AM on 07/09/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Great album, great review. I can't stand when people say they miss PRP!, this is such an improvement.
Thanks man. I hate it too. When they say he shouldn't have changed his name and stopped doing "electronic" music. He still uses electronics in such a better way.
12:07 AM on 07/09/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Never actually took the time to listen to anything this guy put out, but your review is tempting me to.
Thanks for taking the time to read my reviews all the time man. I really appreciate it. Hope you check it out. It's great stuff.
01:53 AM on 07/09/10
Auals
studiocity.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Didn't think I would like it, but just like the occasional play I give PRP! (Madi Don't Leave is damn catchy), this will be getting a bit more play than I expected it to.

Really liking the growth on this, "A Particularly Long Elevator Shaft" is especially good.
06:18 AM on 07/09/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
This is probably the best review you've written so far. However, towards the end of the review your writing quality begins to diminish. I know that can happen when you've spent a good amount of time on the review and just start writing to kind of finish it off. The last four paragraphs each come off as a little disjointed and read as if they were put together quickly; like you were making a post commenting on a review for this album.

This is just constructive criticism, after seeing you have thousands of opinionated posts and sometimes begging for a staff position, it's good to see you put your "money where your mouth is" so to speak and write some reviews. When I write reviews I send them to a friend to edit (often times an english major but generally anyone I find who speaks and writes well), preferably one who hasn't heard the music so I can get their take on just the way I write. I find my writing improves tenfold, not just for that one review, but the next time I write my first draft is that much better. I think even staff members should do this (and maybe they do).
10:24 AM on 07/09/10
HometownHero
User Info.
This is probably the best review you've written so far. However, towards the end of the review your writing quality begins to diminish. I know that can happen when you've spent a good amount of time on the review and just start writing to kind of finish it off. The last four paragraphs each come off as a little disjointed and read as if they were put together quickly; like you were making a post commenting on a review for this album.

This is just constructive criticism, after seeing you have thousands of opinionated posts and sometimes begging for a staff position, it's good to see you put your "money where your mouth is" so to speak and write some reviews. When I write reviews I send them to a friend to edit (often times an english major but generally anyone I find who speaks and writes well), preferably one who hasn't heard the music so I can get their take on just the way I write. I find my writing improves tenfold, not just for that one review, but the next time I write my first draft is that much better. I think even staff members should do this (and maybe they do).
I appreciate that. I would really like a staff position so I have been writing like a fiend hoping that someone will notice. I just submitted another yesterday. I send mine to my ex girlfriend who majors in education. And yes this one was kind of hard to wrap up, but I made an attempt. I appreciate you saying all this. I am going to try even harder on reviews to come.
01:18 PM on 07/09/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
i haven't listened to this guy in years.
01:23 PM on 07/09/10
HometownHero
User Info.
i haven't listened to this guy in years.
You changing that in the near future would be appropriate at this time.
01:28 PM on 07/09/10
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
Have you checked out any Porcupine Tree, Kyle? This album reminds me heavily of them for some reason.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos