AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Silversun Pickups - Pikul EP Album Cover

Silversun Pickups - Pikul EP

Reviewed by
Encompassing dynamics from all over the spectrum while maintaining a melancholy, rhythm-based fluidity, Los Angeles’ Silversun Pickups ring true to their influences, My Bloody Valentine and the Pixies, keeping their 2005 release, Pikul EP, a record for those indie-rock fans that are willing to sit and discover the depth this quartet took time to create.

Banking off the use and advantages of lyrical prose that are far from facetious, guitarist Brian Aubert and bassist Nikki Monninger craft candid lyrics and melodies around the theme of death and isolation in a social sense. Being influenced, and almost a tribute, to the death of a friend, Silversun Pickups catch morbid gusts of melody, though, keeping it in an optimistic tempo as to persist in preserving an ironic contrast between the despondent lyrics. Careful not to stray too far into an avant-garde hell, SP are quick not to dig themselves a grave by keeping the background aesthetics to a minimum, but leaving just enough to manifest an artsy feel, a totality in a sense, to the EP. In “Booksmart Devil”, Monninger shapes patient verses with her flawless voice, comparable to Kim Deal, before breaking into a fuzzy guitar solo that expands upon the bridges previously featured in the song.

The only track, however, that is currently breaking radio waves (apparently in Seattle) is the very first track, “Kissing Families”, and for good reason. The song creates such a cathartic wall of elegant acoustic crescendos, cyclical bass lines, and a striking violin backing that it will instantly beckon a replay. Aubert belts out suddenly, “It’s everything that’s connected and beautiful/And now I know just where I stand/Thank god/Your heart’s too close” during an especially robust chorus. Aubert’s voice, gritty yet appealing, takes on aspects from both Isaac Brock and Billy Corgan, however fitting into his own niche of vocal individuality. Track five, “The Fuzz”, launches with electronic spam that leads into a spunky, though refined, bassline, actively attempting to overshadow Aubert’s lucid lyrics and distorted guitar twiddles.

Nonetheless active on the indie-rock circuit, Silversun Pickups have yet to garner the attention that the band’s debut EP, Pikul, shows they very much deserve. Intense with dismal theatrics and endowed with a polished melody, indie-rock has just been given another dimension.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
09:28 PM on 10/10/06
aaron_187
User Info.
my bloody valentine and pixies?? hmmm... interesting
10:38 AM on 10/11/06
skeeter988
We, The Vehicles
User Info.
i heard this band or really saw them on MTVU
02:49 AM on 12/09/06
PAR
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is the one to watch.

This album and their new one "CARNAVAS" show a band just on the cusp of something really big.

I'm also really sick of the Smashing Pumpkins comparision ...... its there slightly, but if you know what your really talking about .. you will hear greater influences coming thru and not to the point of total rip-off either. More than enough substance going on here to secure a sound all their own. Finally a (new to a wider audience) band worth following to see what happens next. I look foward to it.

Thank you silversun pickups .... i've been waiting for you.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos