AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Soletta - The Road Back Home EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.56
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.38
Production 8.69
Creativity 7.44
Lasting Value 8.13
Reviewer Tilt 8.06
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Soletta - The Road Back Home EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (07/06/10)
Soletta - The Road Back Home EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: Aug. 17, 2010

Who?

Soletta is a Philadelphia quintet that plays commercial pop-rock, with tinges of pop-punk. This seven song EP (the band's third release to date) was produced, engineered and mixed by Paul Leavitt and the song "New Wave," features backing vocals from Fred Mascherino.

How is it?

Rather impressive. Lord knows the world doesn't need any more exuberant 20-somethings singing about leaving town, forgetting the past and toasting regret. But sure enough, this cadre of Philadelphia citizens, using the moniker Soletta, have indeed staked their claim, and if their seven song EP The Road Back Home is any indication, this band has an incredibly bright future.

Production can make all the difference and Soletta seem to understand that. Every pulsing second of this EP is crisp, lucid and nary a flaw. Sure it's a tad derivative, but Lord, if this dominated radio airwaves, this writer certainly wouldn't complain. Whether it's the bursting opener, "Where You Belong," or the punchy anthems, "This Road" and "If You Want It Enough," there's just something self-assured, confident and polished about the entire effort. When the band chases down the mid-tempo, like on the plaintive, "The New Wave," they sound phenomenal.

Something about the restraint, something about the crooning, all of it leaps out of the speakers with authority and sincerity. A second (and probably) better example of this is the deeply affecting piano ballad "Only You," which seems destined to make high school girls cry rivers of pain. The EP's last two offerings, "Hold On," and "Wake Up," present the best and worst of Soletta. The former is a disappointing throwaway, while the latter is a shimmering piece of vocal gymnastics and arguably the EP's best song.

That The Road Back Home sounds this effortless, this comfortable and this pristine, makes one wonder, what exactly is this band capable of? Can they write hit singles in their sleep? All seven songs on The Road Back Home indicates that they probably can. So there it is. Urgent, passionate, explosive, sun-drenched songs ruminating about the quandaries of the college years. If this sounds enticing, give Soletta a try. Chances are, they might just save your life.

Track Listing 1. Where You Belong
2. This Road
3. If You Want it Enough
4. The New Wave
5. Only You
6. Hold On
7. Wake Up

Recommended If You Like Boys Like Girls, My Favorite Highway, We The Kings

Find Them Here.Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
10:37 AM on 07/06/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sometimes it surprises me that you listen to stuff like this, Greg. And it surprises me more that you give it fairly high marks.
10:42 AM on 07/06/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Sometimes it surprises me that you listen to stuff like this, Greg. And it surprises me more that you give it fairly high marks.
It surprises me more. I'm still impressed I love this as much as I do. Trust me the bluegrass fan inside of me isn't thrilled. But I can't help it. I don't know if I give more credit to the band or Leavitt, but something about this just screams success.
10:49 AM on 07/06/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It surprises me more. I'm still impressed I love this as much as I do. Trust me the bluegrass fan inside of me isn't thrilled. But I can't help it. I don't know if I give more credit to the band or Leavitt, but something about this just screams success.
I see. And I certainly don't discount your ear as a review at all. This bubbly commercial stuff just makes me cringe so bad that I almost have to throw on the most art-fuck experimental record I can find. But you always make up for it with your other great folkie reviews. And I gotta tip my hat for keeping up with the Twin Cities scene. By the way, have you checked out the new Sun Kil Moon record?
10:50 AM on 07/06/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
I grabbed "This Road" for free last week. Should get get the rest of this now too.
11:13 AM on 07/06/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I see. And I certainly don't discount your ear as a review at all. This bubbly commercial stuff just makes me cringe so bad that I almost have to throw on the most art-fuck experimental record I can find. But you always make up for it with your other great folkie reviews. And I gotta tip my hat for keeping up with the Twin Cities scene. By the way, have you checked out the new Sun Kil Moon record?
Somehow Kozelek slipped it past my radar. That bastard. Anyways, if you want folk, check out my review of Katzenjammer's Le Pop. Should be on the front page. P.S. I <3 the Twin Cities scene, will always give it top billing.
11:17 AM on 07/06/10
ffght ff yr dem
User Info.
Really Disagree with is. Was really looking forward to this but its such a disappointment.
11:18 AM on 07/06/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Somehow Kozelek slipped it past my radar. That bastard. Anyways, if you want folk, check out my review of Katzenjammer's Le Pop. Should be on the front page. P.S. I <3 the Twin Cities scene, will always give it top billing.
Yeah, the new Sun Kil Moon isn't the most breezy, carefree summer listen, but it's worth checking out. If you are ever looking for new TC stuff check out Reviler.org, which is made up of guys, myself included, who were formerly of Culture Bully. Cheers, man.

http://www.reviler.org/
11:54 AM on 07/06/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
awesome review as usual, greg. i'll be checking this out.
12:05 PM on 07/06/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Thank you, kind sir.
01:18 PM on 07/06/10
JEWRock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm friends with these guys and I had heard that they did almost all of the production themselves from the string arrangements down to putting tambourines in.
01:34 PM on 07/06/10
Drums4life97
mattwelsh
User Info.
Agreed. Nice review man. Ima hit it up
02:50 PM on 07/06/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm friends with these guys and I had heard that they did almost all of the production themselves from the string arrangements down to putting tambourines in.
That's freaking awesome. This only proves my point further. They could probably write hits in their sleep. They just seem to know their way around a song.
06:21 PM on 07/06/10
Epilogueboy
User Info.
I Love This Band :)
11:58 PM on 08/09/10
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Awesome review. Sound more like Valencia to me IMO.

Love Wake Up.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums