Album Review

Lovedrug - EP Part I Album Cover

Lovedrug - EP Part I

Reviewed by
Lovedrug - EP Part I
Record Label: Street Talk Media
Release Date: March 2, 2010

Who?

Lovedrug, known for their grasp of haunting melodies and occasionally grungy guitar-driven work that compliments the unique range of singer Michael Shepard, has started their journey into the digital EP world of 2010 with the first volume in their series of EPs.

How is it?

As someone who has previously only digested Lovedrug in small quantities, I can say with confidence this is the best way I've experienced Lovedrug's work and it is at its absolute finest. While thematically tied EPs may be a nice fashionable way to bring in the recent need for smaller, bite-sized portions in the music industry, Lovedrug has walked with their chin up and created a truly fantastic EP that not only is easy to swallow, but seems to have no overarching story to complicate or obscure the content. What it does have is "Pink Champagne", the opening track that is filled with moving bass lines that thump the track along into a chorus where Shepard's voice rings out and gives the EP an impressive start. For those who felt burned by The Sucker Punch Show and just wanted some slower Lovedrug tunes with heart-felt lyrics, "We Were Owls" gives you exactly what you want with exceptional talent. The true shining moments of this EP are that while each song isn't as polished as they could be, every song has a certain moment that calls for a windows-down, car-stereo-on-max moment that feels like it breathes fresh air into the EP every time the fear of it becoming stale arises. The lyrical content is admittedly inconsistent and makes up for the low points by shaping out the feel of the story the song is telling quite well, the smooth rhythm of "She's Disaster" being the best example as it undulates as Lovedrug paints a picture of a heartbreaking suicidal situation that is portrayed tastefully with the relentless but gentle beat of the song.

While condensing all the good parts of Lovedrug and making them even better still doesn't make the package perfect, Lovedrug has taken a significant turn away from their previous album and could not benefit more from it. Excellent vocal melodies ever-present and musicianship that compensates for every turn it lacks, this first venture into the world of EPs is a pretty good start.

Recommended If You LikeDeas Vail, Bite-Sized Bits of Lovedrug, Copeland

Listen For Yourselfwww.lovedrugmusic.com
This review is a user submitted review from Kbm600. You can see all of Kbm600's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:31 PM on 07/08/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
No mention of "Pink Champagne"?? Nice review, regardless.
07:26 AM on 07/09/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
No mention of "Pink Champagne"?? Nice review, regardless.
I directly mentioned pink champagne.

Quote:
What it does have is "Pink Champagne", the opening track that is filled with moving bass lines that thump the track along into a chorus where Shepard's voice rings out and gives the EP an impressive start.
09:44 AM on 07/09/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Baaaahahahhaha, guess I missed it. My bad.
07:54 AM on 07/14/10
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
"Pink Champagne" is easily one of the best tracks of the year. It's a shame EP 2 isn't nearly as memorable.
08:18 PM on 07/19/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
"Pink Champagne" is easily one of the best tracks of the year. It's a shame EP 2 isn't nearly as memorable.
I think the first EP felt way more consistent than the next, but still had a few key tracks that make it worth listening to.

Now that you mention it, I should probably review that one too..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos