AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.63
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 94%

Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt

Reviewed by: SlumanTheLegend (07/08/10)
Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt
Release Date: 29th March, 2010
Record Label: Warner/Roadrunner Records

Dirt is Kids In Glass Housesí second full length album after the successful Smart Casual was released back in 2008. Since then fellow British pop/punkers You Me At Sixís popularity has gone through the roof, and with the quality of the latest offering from the Welsh quintuplet they will surely both be battling it out for the crown. It has felt like an age since Kids In Glass Houses released new material and I wondered how relevant they would remain in the fast developing music scene.

After a two year stint away from the studio and touring Smart Casual like nobodyís business, I was able to witness some of the new album material when attending a recent Lostprophets gig. Kids In Glass Houses have grown in more ways than one, the material that I heard that night included the chorus storming "Youngblood (Let It Out)" and "Matters At All" alongside the uplifting and inspiring "Sunshine." The coming of age for Kids In Glass Houses is not only noticeable on the record Dirt but the new sound that has spawned from it makes for a much more comfortable live performance.

The voice of Aled Phillips takes a different vein on this second album. It sounds grittier, more natural and untouched. On second track "The Best Is Yet To Come" he adds so much personal style with his new raw singing approach as he rips out the contagious chorus line "Lay down slowly, donít you fool me, Ďcause I donít wanna be alone tonight, the best is yet to come." They are even able to get away with the "make or break" inclusion of vocalist Frankie from pop group The Saturdays on the albumís third single "Undercover Lover." The slower songs on the album "Giving Up" and "The Morning Afterlife" are powerful and rousing which allow the album to boast variation.

These are all positive signs that Kids In Glass Houses are not only evolving as a band but also in sound, stage presence and intensity. Dirt is not only an improvement on the previous work, Smart Casual, but is the result of a smart band taking quality time to deliver quality songs.

Recommended If You LikePop-Punk; All Time Low; You Me At Six; Canterbury;

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
12:17 AM on 07/09/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Pretty decent album. It's no AOTY contender, but eh, I enjoy it.

Good pick
04:00 AM on 07/09/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
I love this album, this will be one of my Summer mains for sure.

I was at the Brixton Lostprophets gig, which one were you at?
06:06 AM on 07/09/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
I'm not fussed on the single with Frankie in, but i'd watch the video anyday, plus I was sad enough to see the Saturdays live for free. Might check this album out though, enjoyed the last one.
08:30 AM on 07/10/10
youngguns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album, only bad thing is Frankie, as they are now going to attract a load of unwanted fans :/.
03:38 AM on 07/11/10
SlumanTheLegend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album, this will be one of my Summer mains for sure.

I was at the Brixton Lostprophets gig, which one were you at?

I was at the Brixton one also.
04:34 AM on 07/11/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
I was at the Brixton one also.
Awesome :) "Godzirra, godzirra...WE'LL PLAY IT IN A BIT IF YOU'RE GOOD BOYS AND GIRLS"
03:03 AM on 07/16/10
Jake Waltham
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this album <3. Great review :).
12:27 PM on 07/27/10
pursuingdesign
User Info.
Definitely beats first album, much harder and the songwriting has got so much better.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests