Password

Album Review
Sleeper Skylight - A Moment to Feel Alive EP Album Cover

Sleeper Skylight - A Moment to Feel Alive EP

Reviewed by
Sleeper SkylightA Moment to Feel Alive EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 6, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Toronto’s Sleeper Skylight are a pop-punk band reminiscent of acts like The Dangerous Summer and The Starting Line.

How is it?

Recorded with Matt Grabe (The Maine, This Century, A Rocket To The Moon), A Moment to Feel Alive is excellent for a debut EP and an ideal foundation for Sleeper Skylight. “Carried Away” begins the EP with upbeat guitars and Michael Reale’s upbeat vocals. Co-written by The Dangerous Summer’s AJ Perdomo and Cody Payne, their influence is clear throughout the track; in fact, Reale’s voice often resembles Perdomo’s own work at points, which is not at all a bad thing. Title track “A Moment to Feel Alive” is driven by Reale’s vocals with a more relaxed feel to it as he sings about bliss and renewal. Picking up the pace, “Falling Into You” features an incredibly infectious chorus, despite cliché, surface level lyrics while “Keep Me,” another track co-written by Perdomo and Payne, is a slower track. The Dangerous Summer’s writing is clear on “Keep Me,” as it features some of the best lyrics on the EP as Reale asks “If life were a dream, would we need to sleep?” over soft drum beats courtesy of Crash Coordinates’ Jon Stoddard. Final track “By My Side” reminds listener of Stories and Alibis-era Matchbook Romance, as Sleeper Skylight ends A Moment to Feel Alive with this ballad; featuring the best vocals on the EP, “By My Side” shines with its contagious chorus driven by Reale forcing listener to sing along. Ending with Ryley Young’s guitar solo and gang vocals, “By My Side” ends A Moment delightfully.

Recommended If You LikeThe Dangerous Summer; The Starting Line’s Direction; Hit the Lights

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Carried Away
2. A Moment to Feel Alive
3. Falling Into You
4. Keep Me
5. By My Side

Sleeper Skylight are:
Michael Reale – Vocals, Guitar
Ryley Young – Guitar
(Jon Stoddard of Crash Coordinates played Drums on the EP)

Website/Myspace - Twitter - iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:29 PM on 07/08/10
HometownHero
User Info.
For five songs this review is way to short my man. Give this band some credit!
06:52 AM on 07/09/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
For five songs this review is way to short my man. Give this band some credit!
Yeah, it is one of my shorter ones, but the EP itself is only 15 minutes ha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos