Username
Password

07:42 PM on 07/13/10 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Jersey
Male - 23 Years Old
True, the lack of a salary cap is at the heart of the problem. But MLB baseball has been built around farm systems in developing talent. No other professional sport has this unique system attatched to every team. Having to develop "home grown" ball players adds in another tricky element in running a successful top to bottom professional organization.

I agree with this. And I also acknowledge that both of the yankees major crops of home grown talent came at periods when George was banned form baseball (Jeter, Posada Pettite ect in the early 90s) and too sick to run the club (Hughes, Cano, Chamberlain ect) in recent years. But that all has nothing to do with stating "But, ask many die hard baseball fans (that aren't Yankee fans) and they will likely express that he changed the state of modern day baseball into a sport of giant contracts and inflated egos." George was simply the richest man in a system that rewards the richer.
07:54 PM on 07/13/10 
User Info.
hello299
NC
Male - 26 Years Old
I agree with this. And I also acknowledge that both of the yankees major crops of home grown talent came at periods when George was banned form baseball (Jeter, Posada Pettite ect in the early 90s) and too sick to run the club (Hughes, Cano, Chamberlain ect) in recent years. But that all has nothing to do with stating "But, ask many die hard baseball fans (that aren't Yankee fans) and they will likely express that he changed the state of modern day baseball into a sport of giant contracts and inflated egos." George was simply the richest man in a system that rewards the richer.

I guess what I was getting at with that statement was that Steinbrenner was the first owner to start signing players to HUGE contracts and as a result it has since upped the market for players. Thus many baseball fans will point the finger at Steinbrenner.

Finally, as I said in my first post, I respect him because he was an innovative businessman and a owner that cared deeply about his organization.
08:02 PM on 07/13/10 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
*sighs*
Seinfeld.... never gets old. Love it.

this.

rip george steinbrenner.
09:44 PM on 07/13/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
i was born holding elemental poison
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Not trying to be tough. Just saying that I detest this man and everything he stood for, so I really can't muster the urge to care... bro.
09:47 PM on 07/13/10 
User Info.
SayNothing
Bloomingdale
Male - 25 Years Old
anyone know who sings this song, "shes a hard breaker, shes a love taker"?
05:53 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Platinum Member
Not trying to be tough. Just saying that I detest this man and everything he stood for, so I really can't muster the urge to care... bro.

but let me guess, youre a red sox fan and them having the 2nd largest payroll is just fine and dandy?
09:09 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
DrStrong
Suck a Fuck
Kansas City, MO
Male
So much for the Yankee monopoly!

EDIT: Go Red Sox.
09:10 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 23 Years Old

So damned tougghhhhh
09:13 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
DrStrong
Suck a Fuck
Kansas City, MO
Male
but let me guess, youre a red sox fan and them having the 2nd largest payroll is just fine and dandy?
Will you dispute that the Yankees always round up the greatest players from the previous year?

Are the Yankees a year round all-star team?

The answer to those questions is yes.

Now that he is gone, i'm sure they will not have the power they once did.
09:18 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 23 Years Old
Will you dispute that the Yankees always round up the greatest players from the previous year?

Will you dispute that the Red Sox, Angels, and Mets will also round up the greatest players from the previous year?

Quote:

You realize his son is taking over for him, and is just like him? Point null.

And by taking over I mean he already took over in 2008 since George has been too sick to be in charge, and he has been exactly like his father. Point nuller.
09:24 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
DrStrong
Suck a Fuck
Kansas City, MO
Male
Will you dispute that the Red Sox, Angels, and Mets will also round up the greatest players from the previous year?

You realize his son is taking over for him, and is just like him? Point null.

And by taking over I mean he already took over in 2008 since George has been too sick to be in charge, and he has been exactly like his father. Point nuller.
I really dont see how you could put any other team in the same category as the Yankees when it comes to their recylcing of players. There are only a handful of guys that have been on that team for more than just a few years.

Good for his son.
09:24 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Platinum Member

Are the Yankees a year round all-star team?

The answer to those questions is yes.

so what youre saying is, the yankees shouldnt try to put the best possible team together year in and year out.

and yes, im sure George Steinbrenner was running the yankees from his death bed the past few months. now that hes dead, theyre screwed!
09:27 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
DrStrong
Suck a Fuck
Kansas City, MO
Male
so what youre saying is, the yankees shouldnt try to put the best possible team together year in and year out.

and yes, im sure George Steinbrenner was running the yankees from his death bed the past few months. now that hes dead, theyre screwed!
Dont get me wrong, having the best players is the point...

But when you just have so much damn money, you can buy players out of their contract, on an established team, that has done well the previous season. That is when I have a problem.
09:28 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Platinum Member
what are you even talking about? buy players out of their contract?
09:31 AM on 07/14/10 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Jersey
Male - 23 Years Old
I really dont see how you could put any other team in the same category as the Yankees when it comes to their recylcing of players. There are only a handful of guys that have been on that team for more than just a few years.

I dont understand your point here. That they change around their players too much? If you look at their current roster its not really the case, its about on par with every other team in baseball- a mix of homegrown talent, veterans, and new free agents. But lets say they do "recycle" players more than other teams- whats your point?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets