Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (07/18/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (07/18/10)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
12:42 PM on 07/18/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad, Frank and Melissa for putting together this round-up.

Technology Round-Up Poll

How has Apple handled the iPhone 4 antenna situation? Discuss in the comments.

Apple

Apple's big announcement to assuage antenna problems is to give free cases to any iPhone 4 users who desire one.

Despite the big press announcement, only 0.55% of iPhone 4 users have called AppleCare with antenna complaints and only 1.7% of buyers have returned the phone.

Following the reported iPhone 4 antenna problems, Consumer Reports has changed its mind and no longer recommends the iPhone 4. But it still calls the iPhone 4 the best smartphone available. Also, don't try discussing the topic in Apple's forums.

Following up last week's poll about the iPhone 4 recall, Apple is not interested (probably because it would cost an estimated $1.5 billion).

Apple has sold 3 million iPhone 4's in 3 weeks.

Apple admits that the iPhone 4 drops slightly more calls than the iPhone 3GS. See how the new signal changes will affect the problem.

Steve Jobs says that the story which reports Apple knew about the misrepresented signal is "total bullshit."

Apple has a software fix for iPhone 4's with faulty proximity censors.

An 11.6" Macbook Air may arrive this year. Can Apple strike gold with a revamp of one of their most heavily-criticized products in recent years?

Internet

Myspace has cleaned up its profile layouts.

A new Facebook app by Vaseline turns men's profile pictures whiter.

Do you think it's right for this alleged Russian spy to be an avid Facebook user?

See here what the biggest lies told on online dating sites are.

The Chinese government is enforcing a new rule that requires people to use their real names online and when buying cell phones.

Firefox for Mac will get the tabs-on-top feature next week. Another recently debuted feature of Firefox 4 are app tabs.

1 in 3 planes offers WiFi service.

Google

A Google employee believes all of their attempts at social networking have failed because no one really believed in the product.

Google is trying to use your mouse movements to help guide the search engine's results.

Google has acquired Metaweb.

The Chrome team has put together a list of the best Chrome extensions.

Google is secretly testing out multiple logins.

Google Chrome Development Channel users are now able to download three Google web apps: Mail, Calendar, and Docs.

Google is working on translating all Wikipedia articles to make the resource more accessible to the world.

URLs from Google Maps can now be shortened right on the page for easier sharing.

Zynga might become Google Games.

Google now offers content-aware spelling and grammar tips to the search engine.

Electronics

See the unboxing of the Boxee Box.

Rex the Robotic Exoskeleton could help people in wheelchairs walk.

These newly developed noise-canceling headphones are lighter weight and less expensive then anything on the market now.

Barnes & Noble has clinched the e-textbook market with the Nook Study, just in time for the Fall semester, but be ready to spend more time than usual because it takes longer to read e-books than regular books.

Roehr Motorcycles has created an eSuperBike, the world's fastest electric motorcycle.

Mobile

Check out the BlackBerry 9800 for AT&T.

The iPhone 4 has been spotted at Walmart and Best Buy. For those interested, iFixit has already torn down the iPhone 4.

iFixit has disassembled the Sony Ericsson X10 Mini, revealing tightly packed hardware.

The HTC Mozart, which runs Windows Phone 7, has leaked in Australia.

Engadget has gotten a hands-on preview of a Samsung Windows 7 prototype that was made for testing purposes only.

A Russian coder has found the root of the new Samsung Galaxy S.

Google Maps on Android has been updated to include public transit schedules.

The unlocked Nokia N900 is now only $369, receiving a $230 discount.

Twitter's iPhone app is now ready for multitasking in OS 4.

CNET reports that 1/5th of Android apps expose private data.

Check out this watchphone with a 1.3-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth, and a 2 mp camera.

Engadget got their hands on the new Samsung Captivate from AT&T.

Computer

Windows XP will never die. Microsoft will allow Windows 7 Professional buyers to downgrade to Windows XP until 2020. Windows 7 users can now download a beta of service pack 1.

AMD and Intel have both reported record earnings.

Intel's next line of processors may be arriving by the end of the year.

Nvidia's stock has been rated the worst-performing stock on the S&P 500.

For anyone in the graphics card market, two Geforce GTX 460's in SLI are faster than a single Geforce GTX 480.

Tips/Tricks

Students can now get a free year of Amazon prime.

Android users looking for an alternate web browser should check out Opera 5.1.

Reader who are in need of financial management assistance should check out Mint.

Mac users who are tired of being warned when they run programs downloaded from the internet can disable these warnings.

Learn how to play SNES on an iPad.

If you've botched your Windows registry beyond repair, learn how to repair it from a Linux live CD.

Miscellaneous

Shutdown Timer lets you shut down, log off, etc. your computer at programmed times.

Learn how to make power with potatoes!

This condom with teeth helps protect against rape.

Check out these self-standing toothbrushes.

Colorware will now repaint and add color to your Segways.

Tron enthusiasts will themselves satisfied with these new high-tech toys.

Vuzix e-glasses are now available in 4 colors.
--
Contributors: klawansie7, CyberInferno, Sarcasm
12:49 PM on 07/18/10
ETGsynth
IWillBuryYou&EverythingYouBelieveIn
User Info.
Been using opera forever on my android phones and love it.
12:50 PM on 07/18/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Oh Apple, how you disappointed me.
12:52 PM on 07/18/10
ETGsynth
User Info.
Oh Apple, how you disappointed me.
Iphone user?
01:05 PM on 07/18/10
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Does anyone else see these rape condoms as a great way to get back at shitty frat bros?
01:09 PM on 07/18/10
zachff
User Info.

3G/3GS/Prospective 4 user, but the antenna issue and the recent F U from Friday are making me considr just waiting for the inevitable iPhone 5 next June.
01:11 PM on 07/18/10
zachff
User Info.
Does anyone else see these rape condoms as a great way to get back at shitty frat bros?

Not really sure how that would work, as a girl would first have to let the bro have sex with her for it to work.
01:12 PM on 07/18/10
ETGsynth
User Info.
3G/3GS/Prospective 4 user, but the antenna issue and the recent F U from Friday are making me considr just waiting for the inevitable iPhone 5 next June.
Go Android.
02:10 PM on 07/18/10
Nardes
User Info.
Thanks so much for the Amazon Prime deal.... will be very nice when buying books :)
02:16 PM on 07/18/10
zachff
User Info.

I'm on AT&T and I like being on AT&T. Beyond that I use iTunes to manage my music, and I don't like having to go back to carrying an iPod in one pocket and my phone in the other. AND my jailbroken 3GS is still better than 95% of the android phones available.
02:21 PM on 07/18/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
I'm on AT&T and I like being on AT&T. Beyond that I use iTunes to manage my music, and I don't like having to go back to carrying an iPod in one pocket and my phone in the other. AND my jailbroken 3GS is still better than 95% of the android phones available.
AT&T actually has some pretty decent android phones out now or coming out soon. The HTC Aria is already out and AT&T's version of the Samsung Galaxy S should be out in a few months.
02:29 PM on 07/18/10
Manicapathy
Serious bidness
User Info.
Fuck China!
02:49 PM on 07/18/10
Dunn.Nope
Registered Member
User Info.
the $29 apple case I had to buy for my iphone 4 does not work with my old charger and does not work with any external speakers/headsets. pretty shitty product if you ask me
03:06 PM on 07/18/10
ETGsynth
User Info.

I just sync'd my Cliq XT with my intunes playlist and AT&T has some great Android phones and even better ones coming out. Trust me, try atleast Android before you write it off your list and no to that last part.

Read this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/19910... h_sides.html
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums