Password

Album Review
All Time Low - Straight To DVD Album Cover

All Time Low - Straight To DVD

Reviewed by
All Time Low - Straight To DVD
Release Date: May 25th, 2010
Label: Hopeless Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
In 5 years All Time Low has skyrocketed to the forefront of the scene, going from Baltimore high schoolers to world tour headliners in no time. Last year the band released their third full length, Nothing Personal, which had an expansive yet defined sound. The band took a step back from up tempo pop punk anthems and instead chose to take a step towards stadium-filling pop rock hits. While this transition may have alienated fans, the band still seems to draw attention and excitement from the believers. When ďWeightlessĒ was released last March, AP.net was flooded with mostly praise and love for the band. It showed the band could produce a larger sound and still be real with who they are. That was what this band has always been about, and they have never lost that. But with all the good there is always going to be the bad as well. No one is perfect and ultimately four guys canít please everyone.

Fast forward to 2010, where the bandís album was a hit, peaking at #4 on the Billboard Top 200 and taking the top spot for alternative, independent and rock album on the charts. The band has been riding an insane amount of success, but what does every successful band need? A live DVD, of course.

Finally, after seven years as a band, All Time Low has released Straight To DVD, a documentary of their lives and their rise to fame, complete with a full set from their Glamour Kills tour in late 2009. The release captures just how far the boys have come in just a short time. Separated into three segments, there is plenty of content to keep your heart at ease. First there is the feature - the meat and potatoes of the DVD if you will. It dates back to when the guys were still in high school and just beginning to get to know each other. Whatís great about this is that you get their parentsí perspectives, as well as that of the bandsí. Alex, Jack, Rian and Zack all document their lives from their teen years, to when they inked their deal with Hopeless records, to where they are now. Ladies and gentlemen, do not fear, for you get a whole helping of nakedness in this DVD, so much so that you may need a shower after viewing. But on a serious note, you really get insight into how the band is more than just a band, but also a family, from their tour managers, guitar techs, lighting director to even Vinnie, their merch guy. They all have a piece and a say in the band and in how things operate, which is what makes All Time Low stand out above other acts in the genre. You can sense and see that there is something genuine in them that isnít common in the modern scene.

The second part of the DVD is the full set shot in New York. While the set list dates back to Put Up or Shut Up, it favors So Wrong itís Right and forward, it doesnít contain any material from the The Party Scene days. Aside from the nostalgia, the set offers a wide array of songs, highlighting the various aspects of the band. Throw in a few guest appearances from the likes of Travis Clark (We The Kings), Juliet Sims (Automatic Loveletter) and Andrew Goldstein (Friday Night Boys) and you have a exuberant gathering of friends. Alex and company sound as good as ever. Vocally heís like wine, getting increasingly better with time. Add some on-stage banter - yes, the kind that Blink-182 was known for - and an insane crowd, and you have one of the biggest shows in the bandís career. Visually the DVD looks stellar, especially through a high definition television with HDMI. Every inch of the show is crystal clear, and is a keepsake for any All Time Low fan.

The final section of the DVD is short, but sweet. It closes with outtakes from the feature, leaving you with some solid candid clips of the guys as they mess around during their daily lives. When itís over you realize you got your moneyís worth and really, that is all you can ask for.

Whether or not you still believe in the band or follow what they do, they are here for all the right reasons. They worked their asses off to get where they are and if you canít respect that, then there isnít any real hope for working musicians these days. All the hate in the world isnít going to change these guys one bit. They have taken the scene by storm for a reason and itís not just because of their looks. Call them pop, call them punk, call them anything, but donít call them passionless. They may not be the next Blink-182 or the next Fall Out Boy, but then again, they arenít trying to be. They realize this and so do those other bands that they are constantly compared to, so why canít everyone else? All Time Low are as genuine as they come and it shows, especially on this DVD. Straight To DVD may be tongue in cheek, but itís real, and thatís something you have to respect.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
10:15 AM on 07/19/10
karadoll
Open up a little happiness today.
User Info.
Surprised that their was a review on this; even more surprised by what I read.

I think this review is perfect.

But I do have a question. I'm on my phone, so I can't see the rating you gave it. What is it?
10:26 AM on 07/19/10
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
I saw this at Target the other day, and made a mental note to go back and get it. I will keep that in mind even more now. Sweet review, Keagan. I think I'm most interested in seeing the stuff about the earlier days.
10:27 AM on 07/19/10
Echo Park
User Info.
88%...You're welcome
10:28 AM on 07/19/10
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.

I think this review is perfect.

But I do have a question. I'm on my phone, so I can't see the rating you gave it. What is it?
88%
10:37 AM on 07/19/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
...(money slides under table)...
10:44 AM on 07/19/10
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Still need to see this!
10:44 AM on 07/19/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
...(money slides under table)...
shhhhhhh
10:45 AM on 07/19/10
holybatmon
Unregistered User
User Info.
Review is good, but the sun doesn't shine out of their asses.
waitrewindthat
also known as hobbes.
User Info.

I did a review the day it came out, it was tweeted by Jack from ATL. It's on here somewhere.
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
I wonder why on the reviews page it says 74%.
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
User Info.
I loved the point in the DVD where they showed a picture/video of each band member from then to now. Shows how far they've really come. Loved the whole DVD, and this review is unexpected but sweet!
10:53 AM on 07/19/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I wonder why on the reviews page it says 74%.
Because I put the lyrics as a N/A because it's not like they wrote lyrics for a live DVD.
11:09 AM on 07/19/10
M.C COB
No one touches the Shaqtus
User Info.
Really enjoy the DVD. Among other things it makes me want to be in a band so bad.
11:16 AM on 07/19/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Solid review, great DVD.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News