Password

Album Review

Man Overboard - Real Talk Album Cover

Man Overboard - Real Talk

Reviewed by
Man Overboard - Real Talk
Release Date: July 20, 2010
Record Label: Run for Cover
Since the first time I entered this website people were talking about Man Overboard. Of all the comments here they were almost always praised as one of the best new pop-punk bands.

Despite all this praise I never felt an urge to pick up one of their releases and listen to them. They were always in the bottom of my list for some unknown reason. All of that changed when, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to pick up Dahlia EP that was up for free on their website. It wasn't a brilliant effort, but "Montrose" really stood out as a strong, well done, pop-punk track.

After the news that the band decided to release their debut album one month earlier it felt like the perfect time do give Man Overboard a second chance and now all this hype seems deserved. Real Talk is an album packed with the best pop-punk you can find in 2010. It starts with a bang and it never stops, proving that pop-punk is alive and well.

"Real Talk" sets the mood and it’s followed by a succession of perfectly timed pop-punk gems. The transitions between tracks really highlight the value of the songs as a whole, and it feels like you are listening to a continuation of the previous track. It’s all very natural, organic. "Fantasy Girl" is the first single of the album and it really represents the feeling of it. It’s fast, honest and it’s sung in a very familiar way that never gets old. It’s hard to choose highlights in Real Talk but one of the standouts is definitely "Fantasy Girl". Another memorable moment of the album is the bridge of "Parting Gift", similar to the one of "Coffee Shop Soundtrack" by ATL, which was made for full crowd sing-a-longs and shows how "catchy" this band can be.

"Montrose" appears here again and it’s as good and well structured as it was in Dhalia; its mood is perfect and the vocals give the song a lot of intimacy which fits the lyrics perfectly. The album ends with “Sidekick”, a slow paced, ballad-esque acoustic track that concludes Real Talk in a more calm, intimate and melodic way.

Unfortunately you will not find anything original or new here and sometimes the melodies seem re-used from other bands. From time to time a sense of “deja vu” is inevitable and although it’s nothing too bad it can be a little upsetting. The production values are also too high, and sometimes vocals get drowned out, which is understandable giving the fact that this is a indie release.

With Real Talk, Man Overboard proved that all the fans weren't wrong, as it's made up of thirteen (if we count the exclusive bandcamp track) pop-punk gems. With honest lyrics, catchy melodies and fast guitars... what more can a man ask for?

Recommended If You Like Pop-Punk, Motion City Soundtrack, Set Your Goals, Fireworks

Download These First "Montrose", "FM Dial Style","Fantasy Girl"
This review is a user submitted review from Kiguel182. You can see all of Kiguel182's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:13 PM on 07/19/10
circasurvivor91
User That Is Registered
User Info.
What am I missing?
Everybody seems to praise this album, but I can't get into it at all.
Septemberism is the only song I actually liked.
04:20 AM on 07/20/10
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
What am I missing?
Everybody seems to praise this album, but I can't get into it at all.
Septemberism is the only song I actually liked.
Septemberism is by far my favorite song on the album.

But I love every song. Grade A in my book.
05:28 AM on 07/20/10
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
Septemberism is by far my favorite song on the album.

But I love every song. Grade A in my book.
Septemberism is probably the song that least got my attention.. Still like it though
11:27 AM on 07/20/10
Nick860
User Info.
sp. its "Parting Gift" , but great review, love this band. They do pop-punk the way it should be done.
11:48 AM on 07/20/10
RadiantEyes
Between The Heart and The Synapse
User Info.
Saw the ad in Alternative Press....and they're from New Jersey. I should really check this out!!!
03:32 PM on 07/20/10
Kiguel182
User Info.
sp. its "Parting Gift" , but great review, love this band. They do pop-punk the way it should be done.
my bad, already fixed glad you liked and yeah this guys are great.. I'm really addicted to this album
04:54 PM on 07/20/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
i must disagree with you. i HATE "fm dial style" i think that song is awful. :( but i do love the rest of the album.
07:42 PM on 07/20/10
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
Septemberism is probably the song that least got my attention.. Still like it though
What would your favorite be then?

Sidekick is slowly becoming my favorite, it's always stuck in my head.
11:31 PM on 07/20/10
jhotmann21
User Info.
I like the 2 songs on their myspace, I think I'll have to give this a purchase since I love their old ep so much...especially dylan's song, one of my favorite songs of all time
06:31 AM on 07/21/10
Kiguel182
User Info.
What would your favorite be then?

Sidekick is slowly becoming my favorite, it's always stuck in my head.
well as I said it's hard for me to pick a song from this album but if I had to choose it would be "Montrose", that's probably my favorite.
06:33 AM on 07/21/10
Kiguel182
User Info.
i must disagree with you. i HATE "fm dial style" i think that song is awful. :( but i do love the rest of the album.
FM Dial Style in my opinion is one of the catchiest songs on the record and I find the voice melodie silly and fun, in a good way.
But I get that some people may find it annoying
11:20 AM on 07/21/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
FM Dial Style in my opinion is one of the catchiest songs on the record and I find the voice melodie silly and fun, in a good way.
But I get that some people may find it annoying
yeah, i guess it's not "awful," more of annoying.
05:20 PM on 07/21/10
tjdohner21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
can't lie. this sounds like a rip off of hawthorne heights ....with autotune.
12:19 AM on 07/23/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
can't lie. this sounds like a rip off of hawthorne heights ....with autotune.
They sound absolutely nothing like Hawthorne Heights.

I love this album, "Fantasy Girl" is definitely my favorite track, the chorus is huge, and so catchy.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos