Password

Album Review

Kill Me Kate - Another Tragedy EP Album Cover

Kill Me Kate - Another Tragedy EP

Reviewed by
Kill Me KateAnother Tragedy EP
Record Label: Solace Records
Release Date: July 22, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?

Formed only in late 2009, New York pop-punk band Kill Me Kate have started strong with their debut EP, Another Tragedy as well as a full length album available soon.

How is it?

Another Tragedy is a multifaceted EP, as Kill Me Kate have a sound ranging from fast-paced, upbeat pop-punk to leisurely, emotional “indie”-esque music. “Give Me Back My Fucking Juice Box” begins the EP slowly with haunting piano play and theatrical group vocals behind singer Ralph Puma’s meek vocals. Once the track picks up, Puma commands “Give Me Back” at full force, showing that KMK are capable of versatility. “I’ve Got Six Friends and They Can All Run Faster Than You” is full of angst and liveliness, driven by guitarist Marcus Lindberg. The chorus is undeniably catchy, full of emotion. Kill Me Kate can change from past paced pop-punk music to slow dark rock in an instant, an aspect that makes them stand out in their genre.

“I’m Not A Shoulder, She’s Catching On” and “It’s like Turning Air Into Gold” continue Another Tragedy in a fashion similar to “Six Friends.” “Pills” features some of the EP’s best lyrics and vocals, and Daniel Figueroa kills on the drums; due to the gang vocals, this EP doesn’t get much catchier than this track. Kill Me Kate’s energy is at full force on “Stay Alone” while closer “Ted Mosby, Architect” showcases a different sound to Puma’s vocals – a raw, rock sound. Although diverse, “Ted” ends Tragedy on an odd note, as Puma’s vocals sound almost forced at times. Despite this, the EP is simply an enjoyable heavier pop-punk release perfect for summer. Do Kill Me Kate have an unheard sound or blueprint? No, but this EP is unquestionably a solid foundation for them to build upon.

Recommended If You Likesummer pop-punk music with a different sound; older Senses Fail

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Give Me Back My Fucking Juice Box
2. I've Got Six Friends, And They Can All Run Faster Than You
3. I'm Not A Shoulder, She's Catching on
4. It's Like Turning Air Into Gold
5. Pills
6. Stay Alone
7. Ted Mosby, Architect

Kill Me Kate are:
Ralph Puma – Vocals/Guitar
Marcus Lindberg – Guitar
Tom Moretti – Bass
Daniel Figueroa – Drums

myspace.com/killmekateny

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:52 AM on 07/23/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
I love this guys, and felt mostly the same as you, good review, also tho to add onto your RIYL: old Brand New and Ice Nine Kills
09:22 AM on 07/23/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I love this guys, and felt mostly the same as you, good review, also tho to add onto your RIYL: old Brand New and Ice Nine Kills
Ice Nine Kills suck; I'm not adding them haha. But yeah, I can see old Brand New to an extent.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos