AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pepper - No Shame Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.17
Musicianship 7.83
Lyrics 11.92
Production 11.42
Creativity 11.75
Lasting Value 11.83
Reviewer Tilt 11.5
Average: 106%
Inside AP.net

Pepper - No Shame

Reviewed by: Brandon Allin (10/19/06)
Pepper - No Shame
Release Date: October 3rd, 2006
Record Label: Atlantic / East West Records

It's a rare, attenuate occasion, and quite an impractical task, to stumble upon an alluring act, but it's nearly unimaginable to uncover a group of performers that not only boast with confidence, sheer adeptness, and competence, but undeniable accessbility. With their brand new, full-length release, No Shame, Pepper, an island-born-and-bred trio, introduce listeners to an intricate, yet simple formula, feedingly abundantly off of their cultural dignity, and what is easily their most enthralling work to date. No Shame combines the band's unique array of influences into an organized, exciting exhibition, with the capability to stun and astonish listeners everywhere.

Yet, while these sentimental advertisements may fail to marvel the group's tight-knit, discernible fanbase, No Shame certainly augment's Pepper's nonpareil recipe, without ever managing to alienate enthusiasts of the group's pristine material. As one might expect, No Shame once more draws robust characteristics from the act's fertile breeding ground, amidst an eccentric attitude that you will find is considerably difficult to obliterate. In terms of presentation, the eighteen track release is unquestionably the group's predominant effort, and while it's flaws are comfortably visible, No Shame is an adequate accessory to any listener's collection.

The album first discloses itself with "Bring Me Along", a facile, reggae-tinged, pop-rock song, and "Rent", a comfortable, groove-driven composition. It is immediately evident that Pepper have constructed an unparagoned mould for themselves, and any anxiety one might have felt prior to engagement has surely been wiped clear. The band's lead vocalist, Kaleo Wasman, is a flawless match for the group's reggae-inspired melodies, and while his voice is neither groundbreaking, nor unmatchable, it is probable that a betting man would wager that you will find yourself awestruck. On "No Control", the album's first single, Pepper unleash a soulful, reggae anthem concocted upon a foundation rooted in rock music. As a matter of fact, "No Control" is a respectable exemplar of the group's approach, as a whole. "No Face", on the other hand, is an airy, light-hearted, spontaneously memorable ballad.

As the album advances, Pepper forge ahead on a steady climb upwards with "Nice Time", a miasmic, pestilent number that will undoubtedly pave the path for a reliable, successful single. While Pepper certainly ingest a distinct cultural influence, No Shame often carries unmistakable traces of a handful of mid-90's, pop-rock acts. On occasion, Pepper's island-inspired carols appear reminiscent of Eagle Eye Cherry, No Doubt, and 311, and while these analogies are in no way unnerving, they are swimmingly detectable. On "Outta My Face", Wasman and the horde lead listeners through a relaxed, spirited, acoustic ballad, all the while affixing one more successful exertion to the group's developing list of endeavours. Truthfully, the evidence conspicuously depicts Pepper's sheer ability to entertain audiences by means of various procedures.

However, while No Shame may first materialize as a canister full of beautifully-constructed gems, it certainly possesses it's fair share of blemishes, as well. Veraciously, particular tracks including "Lost In America" and "Like Your Style" fail to offer much in terms of enthusiasm, and the outcomes are far from electrifying. Furthermore, No Shame includes three, vocal skits starring the band's tour manager, "Coach", that are less than intoxicating, and in all honesty, more irritating than anything. Nonetheless, I whole-heartedly believe the group used this "acting" as a mere attempt to add flavour to an already mellifluent release, so it would surely feel unfair to detract too much from the release itself for a few minutes worth of tragic, bothersome dramatics.

But, when the curtains close, No Shame offers an excessive amount beauteous material, and one can't help but conform to this categorical approach to rock music. Pepper have developed a formula with a target for success, and No Shame is a well-constructed, glamorous effort from a group who have proven themselves to be considerably more than "worthy" time and time again. If it my lone aim to assure you of one fact, it's that, as a consumer, No Shame should be felt in removing this release from the shelves of your local record store.

For Fans OfSublime, 311, No Doubt, Slightly Stoopid, and The Aggrolites
ListenAP profile | Official Website | MySpace | pureVOLUME

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
04:13 PM on 10/19/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i miss you
04:46 PM on 10/19/06
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Kona Town>In With The Old>No Shame
05:02 PM on 10/19/06
NameTaken69
Life Is A Pigsty
User Info.
i really liked kona town, maybe ill check this out
05:07 PM on 10/19/06
toufflove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is the most poorly written review i've ever seen on this site, and that says A LOOOOOT. Put down the thesarus. End the run-on sentences. Learn to write. Kill yourself.
05:17 PM on 10/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
This is the most poorly written review i've ever seen on this site, and that says A LOOOOOT. Put down the thesarus. End the run-on sentences. Learn to write. Kill yourself.
We allow users to submit their own reviews for a reason.
05:30 PM on 10/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
But, for the record, odds are I used far too many irregular words in this review. It's something I should certainly work on.
05:32 PM on 10/19/06
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
no offense but that review was b _ _. there is a time in a place to write like that, and it's not on a punk website. some people can write reviews like that and they can be entertaining, that was not one of them. i guess i will just preview the album at cdnow.com because that review told me nothing, it just made my brain hurt. when i read a reveiw sometimes if it is really well written and convincing i will buy the album because i have faith in the review and vise versa, this review lacked this important effect.
05:44 PM on 10/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
no offense but that review was b _ _. there is a time in a place to write like that, and it's not on a punk website. some people can write reviews like that and they can be entertaining, that was not one of them. i guess i will just preview the album at cdnow.com because that review told me nothing, it just made my brain hurt. when i read a reveiw sometimes if it is really well written and convincing i will buy the album because i have faith in the review and vise versa, this review lacked this important effect.
That's respectful, constructive criticism, and while it's criticism all the same, I do appreciate it.
05:45 PM on 10/19/06
oldskool
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i dont want to sound rude, but i love this site and wanted to put in my two cents. later!
12:13 AM on 10/20/06
Ragnarok71
User Info.
Cool, heard these guys before didn't really getinto the reggae feel though... maybe I'll give them another listen. and for the record the review wasn't that bad.... made your head hurt??? really???
03:47 AM on 10/20/06
surreality
The Crowd Surfer Dude
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nothing really noteworthy of this band? All I saw were excessive synonyms and a public display of your ability to use a thesaurus, but nothing more, really. I'd appreciate it greatly if you could rewrite this review and include things about the band's general sound, and a breakdown of what really makes them good--their basslines. I fell in love with B.O.O.T. and Back Home on their last two CDs, anything similar to that sound in the new one? Please and thank you! Looking forward to reading another review of this CD!
06:16 AM on 10/20/06
crzydrmmer
my name is adam, indeed
User Info.
I felt that that review was very accurate. I saw them with 311 over the summer and they performed very well. They aren't exactly the most unique band, but good for hanging out. As far as you people bitching about the over use of irregular words, you probably should shut the fuck up and quit your complaining. He worded this review very well, and the least you could do is give critisism in a constructive manor.
07:48 AM on 10/20/06
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
holy verbose batman, just fucking review the disc, come on "attenuate"? jeSUZ is this pitchforkwannabe.com?
10:02 AM on 10/20/06
permanentdan
User Info.
no control reminds me a lot of the red hot chili peppers. they play that song all the time in san diego haha. that and unwritten laws new one, shoulda known better. i like it though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums