1. How did you get your band name?
There's a really good biography on C.S. Lewis, and he mentions it a few times throughout it. Will (our singer) just liked the way it rolled off the tongue.
2. How did this band get started?
It started out as Will's singer-songwriter project. He thought it would sound better with full band arrangements so he kind of recruited some of his friends. After a few line-up changes the indie rock went out the window and we became a different monster entirely.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We're all pretty varied. We listen to a lot of Brand New, Thrice, and Manchester Orchestra. But we're also really into bands like Isis, Mouth of the Architect, and Rosetta. A lot of that comes through in our songwriting as well as bands like Radiohead and Mogwai.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Radiohead and Brand New would probably be the most ideal. Just to see them do what they do and try to steal some of those little tricks that make them so amazing. Aside from that, bands like Rosetta, City of Ships, A Hope For Home, and Memphis May Fire. Just because we know from experience that they're exceptional human beings and we'd enjoy watching them play every night.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A Unicorn. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to 'ride' a unicorn? Or a rhino, for the obvious horn reference.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I don't really know how to answer that without sounding pretentious... But probably because we care about what we do. We try to write good songs that at least we, as a band, would like to hear other people write.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Probably "You Lost Me At The End." It's probably our only song on the whole album that we exercise any technical abilities. Most likely it wouldn't be hard at all. It'd probably be one of the warm-up songs that make you feel good about yourself.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Whoever bribed the panel of people who vote for the winners.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
One word. Ke$ha. Enough said.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Dipping my little piggly-wigglies in the Atlantic ocean for the first time.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's always a good place to check out new music and hear what's going on with bands that I listen to. If you want to know what's going on, it's a good first place to check.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
For me, either "The Realities of Loneliness," for the simple fact that I get to do a lot of tap dancing on my pedal board. Or, "You Lost Me At The End," because people always get louder than us and sing along to it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I used to work on a cruise ship partnered with National Geographic, and when I'd get off the boat I'd stay in La Paz, Mexico, for a week or so. I just love that town. Not too run-down but still has a very authentic Mexican feel to it. The people there are still very traditional and it's beautiful there. Not to mention I could sit by the pool at the resort and drink Bloody Marys the size of my head.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
90's alternative all the way! Third Eye Blind, Smash Mouth, Stone Temple Pilots. That's where it was at for me when I was super young and didn't know what punk-rock was. I still listen to that sort of stuff on a nice Summer day. I'll probably put on "Semi-Charmed Kind of Life" as soon as I'm done with this.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I was a HUGE comic geek growing up. I always wanted to be Gambit. Not for getting to blow things up by touching them. I just wanted the power to make women swoon with a Cajun accent and to wear a sweet overcoat all the time.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Not yet. Maybe when Jay-Z starts blowin' up my pager and my n00d pictures with Pete Wentz hit the internet I'll feel that way.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Behind the tattoo's and tight jeans, we're extremely nerdy people.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Guy Fawkes day. It's a loose change, effigy burning extravaganza!
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
The band hits up karaoke every week. We're very passionate about butchering other people's songs. We've talked about doing a tour where we don't play any shows, we just hit up a different karaoke bar in a different town every night and invite everyone to come and drink merrily with us.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I don't know if I'd call it a talent, but I definitely have the ability to still use proper grammar and spelling when I'm dumb enough to get online and chat people up after drinking too much.