AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Children 18:3 - Rain's A Comin' Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.88
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.38
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 96%
Inside AP.net

Children 18:3 - Rain's A Comin'

Reviewed by: thepianominstre (07/20/10)
Children 18:3 - Rain's A Comin'
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: June 29, 2010

It's been over two years since Children 18:3 took the punk world by storm with their Tooth & Nail debut, but they're finally back with a follow-up. The driving intro leads quickly into "Cover Your Eyes," where the three Hostetter siblings waste no time confirming they can still tear up a song at a blistering pace. She said RUN! But I'm not running… The courageous track with Seth's relentless rhythms and the trademark vocal tradeoff of David and Lee Marie is everything we've come to expect from the first record, yet it's possibly even a better song than anything we've heard so far.

After reassuring us that they still have the old groove, Children 18:3 sets out at expanding their territory. Much of the rest of the album is not nearly so fast, and there's no ska vibe spin-offs like "The City" here, either. The siblings downshift just a notch into brisk rock numbers with big intense sounds. There's an instrumental interlude with a winding guitar riff that could have been lifted from a mewithoutYou album - although the track isn't nearly long enough. Adding to the mix is the acoustic "Oh Honestly," featuring some of the band's strongest lyrics to date: Oh, honestly, if you try to find a problem here, you probably will… So, listen to the wind blow over the branches / Listen to the waves crash on the shore / I don't have the big plan, just small glances / And every now and then I'm still unsure.

David sings with passion, and the vocal duality with his younger sister has never been stronger. Lee Marie continues to delight with a charming array of background "oh-oh-ohs," and she still leads some vocals as well. Her highlight, "Oh Bravo," is nowhere near as frenetic as "LCM" or "Search Warrant," but it's overflowing with heartwarming lyrics and a gigantic sing-along chorus.

The band says the album is about something big that's just on the horizon, and they admonish us to stand our ground and remain courageous in the face of uncertainty; even though it may look like desert now, Rain's A Comin'! Mainstream fans may not grasp the religious metaphors, but there's plenty of depth if you want to dig.

Subtract the intro, interlude, and random ragtime piano outro and there's only nine full tracks. At thirty-three minutes the album feels a little short for the twenty-eight months since the debut, and it doesn't feel quite as invigorating, either. But it still has plenty of energy, and it's definitely not wanting for talent or endeavor. Rain's A Comin' shows the Hostetters' willingness to evolve and mature both musically and lyrically. That's an encouraging sign for the band's longevity, and it seems to have been well-received by fans and critics alike. We can only wait to see where they go from here.

Recommended If You LikeBlink-182, The Classic Crime, House of Heroes, punk rock sing-alongs

Track Listing01. Rain's A Comin' (1:40)
02. Cover Your Eyes (2:10) *
03. The Cruel One (2:41)
04. Whispering (1:10)
05. Hey Driftwood (Tides) (4:04)
06. Oh Bravo (3:12) *
07. Oh Honestly (3:02) *
08. Wonder I (3:13)
09. Stronger (3:35)
10. Jack 'o' Lantern Dreams (2:09)
11. Lost So Long (4:51) *
12. The Last Laugh (1:36)
*standout tracks

MySpace

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:22 PM on 07/22/10
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
they had me hooked with Cover Your Eyes, but the rest of the album doesn't really live up to the energy they establish on the first record and the beginning of this one. Not bad, just mildly disappointing.
01:29 AM on 07/23/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good review. I always enjoy this band when I listen to them on Myspace but I don't think I could handle buying and listening to a whole album.
05:26 AM on 07/23/10
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
they had me hooked with Cover Your Eyes, but the rest of the album doesn't really live up to the energy they establish on the first record and the beginning of this one. Not bad, just mildly disappointing.
Exactly. And I hate to be "that fan" that wants to pin them into one style of music and never change, because I like bands from all sorts of genres and styles. It just doesn't feel quite as energetic. It's ironic that I thought the first album was so great that I tried to get everybody to listen to it because I thought you'd like it no matter what genres you were into, and even though this album technically covers more sonic ground I feel less enthusiastic about trying to get everybody to listen to it.

I still think the band members are awesome, genuine, and ridiculously talented (and their supportive parents as well), and I completely support them; they're one of my favorite bands right now that's making new music. I just don't feel like this album lives up to the potential they have. That being said, it still has a lot of catchy songs that get stuck in my head and the album may grow on me like many albums do... Most of the reviews I've seen for this album have been pretty positive, and from what I can tell the fan response has been pretty good, so I guess I don't speak for everyone...
05:28 AM on 07/23/10
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Good review. I always enjoy this band when I listen to them on Myspace but I don't think I could handle buying and listening to a whole album.
Thanks. I feel that way about other genres, so to each his own, but I still recommend the entire first album to anybody that enjoys talented, passionate music. And for better or worse the second one is short enough that I think you could handle the whole thing... there's still some great tracks on it.
11:09 AM on 07/23/10
hello299
User Info.
I always thought this was a hardcore band because of their name.
12:44 PM on 07/30/10
diempty
User Info.
Good review. I really like this album. I think that it's still fast pace like the 1st album and really just breaks out.

Thumbs up like always for 18:3
06:31 AM on 07/31/10
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Good review. I really like this album. I think that it's still fast pace like the 1st album and really just breaks out.

Thumbs up like always for 18:3
Thanks.

And I do say that even in just the last week the "weaker" songs have been growing on me... it will end up being one of my top of the year I have no doubt about that.
04:17 PM on 09/30/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
This album was my introduction to Children 18:3, and unfortunately the album left me wanting. The first two tracks are great, but then it just kind of drifts along. I also wrote a review for the album if you want to read it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums