AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines

Reviewed by: eatbabiesyum (07/22/10)
Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines
Record Label: Mush Records
Release Date: September 30, 2003

Who?

Marc Bianchi (former member of influential hardcore band Indian Summer) makes indietronic music under the moniker “Her Space Holiday”.

How is it?

That depends on you. It’s easy to appreciate the simple yet sophisticated electronics, ultra-clever lyrics, and sing-along catchiness of The Young Machines; but whether or not this is a fun album to pass the time or something that completely consumes you may not just be determined by your taste.

In the logo for this site you’ll find “music mends broken hearts,” and for that there is no better album than The Young Machines. Whether or not the album really grabs you depends on your appreciation of the lyrical content (often about heartbreak). The somber lyrics are incredibly clever and never sound whiny, but instead relatable. Musically the entire thing seems to be built around accentuating these lyrics, which was a smart move considering they’re Her Space Holiday’s strongest asset. The vocals are bordering on speaking, but actually fit the mood and lyrics surprisingly well. The electronics have strong classical and hip-hop influences, which stands out in this genre. The Young Machines should satisfy those craving something similar to The Postal Service, but how hooked you get relies on how much you appreciate the somber infectious lyrics.

Recommended If You LikeThe Postal Service, Bright Eyes

http://www.myspace.com/herspaceholiday

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
04:08 AM on 07/23/10
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
How does this record get only 8 points lower than that KoRn album you reviewed?
06:48 AM on 07/23/10
Finch076
I don't actually listen to 'Finch'
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of my favorite albums. Completely agree with the comment about the lyrical content being "clever". Tech Romance, for example, has ridiculously clever lyrics.

I think I speak for the majority of the world when I say that I wish Mark would return to his more electronic ways, as this stripped-down folk stuff from the past few years has been sub-par, at best.
07:19 AM on 07/23/10
KillyourIdols88
Standing on the Edge of Summer
User Info.
One of my favorite albums.
10:41 AM on 07/23/10
almostluckymick
Mick
User Info.
love love love this album
11:49 AM on 07/23/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
How does this record get only 8 points lower than that KoRn album you reviewed?

because i felt that korn did much more in the genre they're in than HSH does. i love HSH a lot, but if it wasn't for his lyrics, his music would be bland. korn on the other hand musically excelled with awesome funk/metal grooves, a vocalist who has a huge range and recorded without any pitch correction and editing, etc. and critically korn's album just so happened to mostly get very good scores, so medicore scores, but no bad ones. The Young Machines actually has completely lower reviews than korn's album (even by the same critics)

don't get me wrong, i love HSH, but they're hard to compare when they're not only in different genres obviously, but completely different approaches to music
11:52 AM on 07/23/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
One of my favorite albums. Completely agree with the comment about the lyrical content being "clever". Tech Romance, for example, has ridiculously clever lyrics.

I think I speak for the majority of the world when I say that I wish Mark would return to his more electronic ways, as this stripped-down folk stuff from the past few years has been sub-par, at best.

competely agree. i actually reviewed this in favor over his newer stuff so i could give him positive attention
12:50 AM on 07/27/10
jhotmann21
User Info.
sleepy california is one of my all-time favorite songs
08:33 AM on 07/27/10
eatbabiesyum
User Info.
sleepy california is one of my all-time favorite songs

i've been pretty addicted to that song lately actually
Options
More From This Author