AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Forecast, The - 10.23.06

The Forecast - 10.23.06

Interviewed by
The Forecast - 10.23.06Before we get started, could you please give us your name and position in The Forecast?

-D- Dustin, and I play guitar and sing.

-S- Shannon Burns, bass, and I guess I’m vocals too.

-M- Matt Webb, guitar.

-T- Tony Peck, I play drums.

I recently had the chance to check out your latest release to date and I thought it was great, I love that pop alt - country sound, have you guys always been playing this style? Or is this something new?

-D- I wouldn’t say that it was something new. It’s always kind of been in us, but has never been really brought to the forefront like it was on this record.

-M- Yeah, since I got in the band, yes, it’s been in the forefront. But yeah, before Tony, Shannon, and myself were in the band, The Forecast was a more straightforward indie rock band and there wasn’t a whole lot of the alt country influences shining through on the early records.

User Submitted Question : What happened to former Forecast drummer Rhys Miller and why was he was kicked out of the band when Proof of Impact EP was there strongest effort to date?

-D- First of all, I definitely disagree that Proof was our strongest record. However, Rhys wasn’t kicked out. He just didn’t really want to be on tour. I am still best of friends with him.

-T- Proof Of Impact was our strongest record? I just met Rhys recently and he was a cool guy. We shared some drinks.

User Submitted Question : With the slew of recent victory re-releases that have been coming out lately (The Junior Varsity, Silverstein, etc.), are there any plans to re-release or re-record anything from the pre-Victory era? *cough* tiny star *cough* ..

-M- Nope.

-D- Probably not any time in the near future. That was a totally different band in that point in time and I don’t think we will be seeing a re-release of anything pre-Victory in the foreseeable future.

-S- Yeah, I don’t see it happening any time soon, but who knows.

User Submitted Question : What are their plans following the current tour?

-T- After this tour I’m going to go home and get a job. At the mall. I’m crossing my fingers for Aladdin’s Castle, but I’ll settle for Sam Goody.

-D- This tour ends on the east coast where we will be playing NYC twice, once for the Victory showcase at CMJ, and the next day we’re playing this hip little party that’s being put on by the guys who run Purevolume.com. Should be killer, Honorary Title, Meg & Dia, Envy On The Coast are all playing. Then on our way home from NYC, we’re stopping off in Cleveland for a show with Lucero, which should be so amazing. Then, in November, we’re going to be doing a quick jaunt out to Seattle for a “free show” put on by the big rock station out there, KNDD. From Thanksgiving to Christmas we will have some time off. Then we’re going to be doing some local and regional shows right after the holidays. We’re hoping to get out to Europe early next year too, but that’s still in the air right now.

Being signed to a record label such as Victory, do you fear that you may possibly be lumped in with the pop punk scene? Have you discussed possibly touring with alt - country bands?

-D- Yeah, it’s definitely been a concern, and it always is no matter what label you’re on to get lumped in with a certain genre. We try our hardest not to get caught in that rut. People have this pre-conceived notion of what we sound like when they hear we’re on Victory, but then once they hear our music they think something totally different. The comments we hear the most are usually along the lines of “Wow, I can’t believe Victory signed a band that sounds like you guys” or whatever. We’ve definitely wanted to tour with bands who are more along the lines of our sound. I wouldn’t specifically call all of them alt-country, but bands like Limbeck, Lucero, Drive By Truckers, are bands we all love and would love to tour with.

-S- Yeah, once people actually hear us or see us live, I don’t think they place us into any particular certain scene at all. We’re not like a lot of bands like Victory. So once people actually hear us, I don’t think they put us into any sort of category.

Another thing that I find interesting is that you guys are from a super small town. How did you start creating a name for yourself and actually getting your name out there? What are some of the local bands you guys played with?

-D- We just started playing shows and went from there. We played a lot regionally. I think when you’re a musician who doesn’t live in a big city, it makes you work harder. There’s a lot of things working against you, so you have to try that much harder to succeed. It definitely paid off, and we are still going to work harder so we can achieve all the goals we want to achieve. After we finish this tour we will have played over 280 shows since January of 2005. That’s one show almost every other day for 2 years straight. And keep in mind we put out 2 records during that time too. So basically, if we are not writing or recording, or it’s not the holidays, we are out on the road playing shows. What was the other question? What local bands we play with? Um, The Charter North, The Graduate, Scouts Honor, and The Serpent’s Son... who else?

-M- Aslan...

-T- Peoria ain’t that damn small though. It’s got 100,000 people at least. I grew up in a town of 800. Now that’s small. But by the time I joined this band they were like half way though the growing process... there was already shit to do.

What are some of your favorite alt-country bands out there today?

-D- Right now I’ve been listing to a lot of Drive-By Truckers. I’ve been listing to all of their records. Especially The Dirty South. Lucero is always a mainstay. Drag The River. Wilco, obviously. Those are definitely my favorites at this point in time. Ryan Adams “Heartbreaker” is probably in my top five records of all time.

-T- Drive-By Truckers. That’s the only band that matters.

-M- Yeah, if Wilco is considered alt-country. The Only Children.

User Submitted Question : How is it being one of the few bands with a female vocalist that has a significant part?

-S- I think it’s cool to have a different side. Sometimes it sucks being the only girl, but I’ve gotten used to it and I love it now.

-T- Flowery. And Pretty.

User Submitted Question : Can we expect more alt-country oriented songs on the next album, as a few songs off the new one leaned in that direction, especially the slower and acoustic ones?

-D- I definitely see that in our future. We’ve been playing around with a lot of different ideas and different instruments. Pedal steel, banjos, things like that. We just want to keep expanding. Not necessarily change our sound, but expand on it and get better at what we do. At the same time, not lose our edge either.

-M- These things will all fall into place more when we actually start writing more. Certain songs just come out a certain way, we don’t try to force any one style in our songs. If it feels right, we just do it. We never set out to try and sound like this or that. We just do what we do and hope people give it a shot.

Did you guys reach out to Victory? Or did they find you? I think Tony has a diverse roster on his label, but for some reason I find it hard to see him calling you guys up and asking you to sign to his label. I am not saying I don't dig your style of music, I absolutely love it, I just didn't think Tony would dig it.

-D- Actually, it was a little of both. We recorded the first record that came out on Victory, Late Night Conversations, totally on our own. We had no label at all when we finished making that record. We thought it was good and thought a label might want to put it out for us so we sent it out to a bunch of labels. Tony got back to us and he was super stoked on our band. He thought we reminded him of bands like X and it definitely hit a nerve with him. He was really excited to work with us and his enthusiasm was a big reason we signed to their label. We knew it’d be a strange fit since Victory’s reputation wasn’t built on bands like us, but when you have the owner of the company who really showed a genuine interest in growing your band, you start to think, “yeah, sure, lets give it a shot.”

-M- Yeah, Tony loved it. He was all about it. We weren’t expecting to hear anything back from them to be totally honest.

User Submitted Question : Some/all the band members have an ambulance tattoo, what is the meaning behind it?

-D- It was one of the first t shirt designs we ever had. It’s something that’s always been with the band since the very first incarnation of The Forecast. We also had a song called “Somebody Call An Ambulance”; it was one of the first songs we ever wrote. Once Late Night came out on Victory, we all decided to get a tattoo to mark the occasion. The ambulance was an obvious choice. It was something that’s been around since the beginning and will be around until the end.

-T- Life is short. Party hard.

How was the tour you guys did with ActionReaction? Were you turning a lot of heads? Were kinds into the music?

-D- Well, we actually headlined that tour and Koufax was our main support band. Action Reaction actually ended dropping off the tour a few weeks into it.

User Submitted Question : Ask Shannon why she decided to get braces during a time when she'd be singing in a band. I mean, it sounds like a dumb question. But! It's a pretty risky move if you ask me (if I was in her situation, I wouldn't have done it).

-S- Well, if it would have been my choice I would have gotten them when I was younger. It was bad timing, but I still had to get them. I actually ended up getting them right before we recorded Late Night. I got used to them pretty quickly and they didn’t bother me. I will probably get them off in the beginning of next year. I can’t wait. I can’t fucking wait!

-T- Yeah, that was a dumb question.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
06:33 PM on 10/23/06
thebestkylever
girls like status.
User Info.
good stuff. peoria represent. do another christmas show at the legion hall. please.
12:30 AM on 10/24/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i love this band. great interview. Such a huge improvement from LNC to Shadows of two gunmen and the talk of banjos and pedals has me stoked. great interview. perfect length
09:56 AM on 10/24/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
i love this band. great interview. Such a huge improvement from LNC to Shadows of two gunmen and the talk of banjos and pedals has me stoked. great interview. perfect length
Do you think it was to long? For some reason, I thought that our interviews here were really lacking. So I am trying to beef them up. I am only interviewing bands I really want to talk to because I find that bands I like I have more questions for.
10:11 AM on 10/24/06
Shaved Goat
Come on feet, cruise for me
User Info.
great interview, this band is teh kickarse
07:38 PM on 10/24/06
CorporateFish
Viva la Weez
User Info.
Excellent interview. I love these guys. Lots of energy live, as well.
08:22 AM on 10/25/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
User Submitted Question : Ask Shannon why she decided to get braces during a time when she'd be singing in a band. I mean, it sounds like a dumb question. But! It's a pretty risky move if you ask me (if I was in her situation, I wouldn't have done it).

im sure that made her feel good about herself..
05:49 PM on 10/25/06
ih8radio
"Mr.Big" aka "The Man"
User Info.
Great interview! I've always wondered about the ambulance tattoo. I also wanted to know if the new sound was going to be permanent. I really liked Late Night and I was REALLY surprised when I heard In The Shadow. I really didn't expect such a radical change in styles. I wasn't sure if the change was just a milestone in the developement of the band or if they were making the change because they were unsatisfied with the outcome of Late Night. Thanks for getting some good responses.
12:57 AM on 10/27/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Do you think it was to long? For some reason, I thought that our interviews here were really lacking. So I am trying to beef them up. I am only interviewing bands I really want to talk to because I find that bands I like I have more questions for.

Naw, this was a really good length. Sometimes the reviews are interesting and all, but its just too much to get through. The questions had pretty concise answers and it worked well. Great job, again.
04:09 PM on 11/12/06
Daveyhavok832
O.G.
User Info.
Late Night Conversation is 6000 times better than their new album. These lights and fadein,, fade out are by far their best songs to date. As much as I loved Late Night Conversations, they are true assholes. I think that is made apparent in this interview, and if you approach them at a show. I was greatly disappointed when I talked to them during their Bayside, June, IATA, tour.
10:44 PM on 11/18/06
ThursRosesrRed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's interesting to know that about this band.
07:48 AM on 12/12/06
ih8radio
"Mr.Big" aka "The Man"
User Info.
Late Night Conversation is 6000 times better than their new album. These lights and fadein,, fade out are by far their best songs to date. As much as I loved Late Night Conversations, they are true assholes. I think that is made apparent in this interview, and if you approach them at a show. I was greatly disappointed when I talked to them during their Bayside, June, IATA, tour.

I've meet them in person two times and I've never found them to be assholes. They have been very friendly both times. They've signed each of my CD's and a pair of my shoes. I have a group picture with them, and they even invited me back to their hotel to hangout after one of their Atlanta shows. I didn't go with them, but they invited me. Matt seems to be a little shy, but he's never been as ass to me.
08:44 PM on 12/20/06
SoDakValerie
User Info.
Yeah. I NEVER got the asshole vibe from them at all. They've always been very friendly when I've seen them. They actually played a show for me like 2 months before Late Night Conversations came out. They were super. Matt does seem kinda shy. Shannon, Dustin, & Tony are always really talkative though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos