AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Secondhand Serenade - Hear Me Now Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 4.5
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 4.92
Lyrics 4.92
Production 7.83
Creativity 3.67
Lasting Value 5.33
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Average: 56%
Inside AP.net

Secondhand Serenade - Hear Me Now

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (07/26/10)
Secondhand SerenadeHear Me Now
Record Label: ILG/Glassnote
Release Date: August 3, 2010

Only one year after releasing 2007’s acoustic Awake under the pseudonym Secondhand Serenade, John Vesely released the more multifaceted follow-up, A Twist In My Story in 2008, an album that sold over 250,000 copies as well as spawned over 2.2 million singles, including the breakthrough hit “Fall For You,” which reached platinum sales as a single. Now two years later, Vesely is back with his third record on Glassnote Records, Hear Me Now, the majority of which was produced by Aaron Johnson (The Fray).

Whereas A Twist In My Story dealt lyrically with Vesely’s recent divorce, making the entire record about that relationship, Secondhand Serenade travel in a dissimilar course with Hear Me Now, a more encouraging direction regarding moving on from mistakes. Despite this, the overall sound is incredibly analogous to that of A Twist In My Story, ultimately pleasing fans of Secondhand’s previous record, though becoming a hindrance to listeners longing for more inventiveness and originality from the band.

The somber “Distance” begins Hear Me Now, a track that would fit perfectly on Awake; although the track is indeed catchy, there is no overall growth lyrically or musically. With lyrics such as “miles and miles pass by/and I’m alone/my eyes feel like they’re bleeding/but I’m just crying,” the track parallels all of Vesely’s lyrical work on the two prior records, demonstrating no lyrical development or structural advancements. Beginning with soft, enchanting piano play, it’s clear why the following “Something More” was chosen as a single – Vesely’s vocals, reminiscent of One Republic’s Ryan Tedder, sound better than ever. On this track, he’s able to hit pitches never heard from Secondhand Serenade before. While there is no question that Vesely’s vocals excel on this track, his lyrics again offer minimal true substance being them.

Upbeat tracks (“Stay Away,” “So Long,” and the techno-backed “You and I”) all feature contagious choruses, something Secondhand Serenade thrive on – radio hits. In fact, “Stay Away” could readily be a massive radio hit, as it is hands down one of the catchiest songs Secondhand Serenade have ever written. Conversely, these slight diversities on Hear Me Now were clearly written for radio and are deterred by tracks such as “Is Anybody Out There,” a track that sounds almost exactly like ATIMS’s “Goodbye,” another impediment to Hear Me Now, as it continues to lack any true diversity and experimentation.

Again, slower tracks such as “Reach For The Sky” and Vesely driven “World Turns” are both reminiscent of Vesely’s stripped-down acoustic work on Awake, further demonstrating little progression from Secondhand’s previous work. In this way, Hear Me Now is a carbon copy of Secondhand Serenade’s two previous records; that is, until the ultimate poignant “Hear Me Now” ends the record, proving that Secondhand saved the best for last. Alike to on All Time Low’s fantastic “Remembering Sunday,” Automatic Loveletter’s Juliet Simms absolutely kills on her spot on this beautifully emotional rollercoaster. Combined with Vesely’s incredible vocals, Simms makes this track the perfect closer, let alone the best track in Secondhand Serenade’s entire discography.

Nonetheless, despite this memorable finale, Vesely’s hackneyed lyrical structure and Secondhand’s lack of overall musical growth truly deter the record as a whole. Sure, standout tracks such as the catchy “Stay Away” and the powerful “Hear Me Now” do aid to make up for these flaws, but they in no way do enough to make these faults diminish entirely. That said, Secondhand Serenade have done exactly what they set out to do: crafted a record sure to result in a number of bombastic radio hits and record sales, utilizing the idea that “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” to accomplish just this with Hear Me Now.

Recommended If You LikeSecondhand Serenade’s previous records; Dashboard Confessional; Howie Day; acoustic

Listen ToSomething More; Stay Away; The World Turns; Hear Me Now

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Distance
2. Something More
3. Stay Away
4. You and I
5. Is Anybody Out There
6. Reach For The Sky
7. Only Hope
8. So Long
9. World Turns
10. Nightmares
11. Hear Me Now (Ft. Juliet Simms of Automatic Loveletter)

myspace.com/secondhandserenade

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
02:23 PM on 07/30/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
I remember my ex girlfriend found this guy when he had like 200 friends on myspace.

I enjoyed his music until I heard this album.

Good review but for me personally a 20-30 rating would fit.

I do love Juliet though.
04:00 PM on 07/30/10
hello299
User Info.
I feel like this guy is just a carbon copy of Dashboard Confessional. Doesn't seem genuine.
02:02 PM on 08/08/10
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
I feel like this guy is just a carbon copy of Dashboard Confessional. Doesn't seem genuine.

except that Dashboard did it years ago, and did it well.
04:57 PM on 02/12/12
caercove
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Coach Coach alex, one of beautiful style of Coach bags. Strong American style, insist in exquisite and superior quality.
Coach Poppy Bag’s series cover various of fashionable bags almost 100.Portable and brilliant color of Poppy Bags is your best choice. Free shipping, no additional tax.
http://www.monterdrebeats.com/Beats-by-Dre-Justbeats-CL6.html
http://www.monterdrebeats.com/Beats-by-Dre-Diddybeats-CL3.html
Diddy beats are represented by Diddy,the affirmative of beats by dre.High discount dre diddy beats,you need to enjoy euphonic voice.
http://www.monterdrebeats.com/Beats-by-Dre-diamond-CL19.html
Musician professional beats.Toppest quality diamond series monster beats online outlet at cheap price, big discount.Time to panic buying!!!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums