AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bradley Hathaway - A Thousand Angry Panthers Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Bradley Hathaway - A Thousand Angry Panthers

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (07/26/10)
Bradley Hathaway - A Thousand Angry Panthers
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 1, 2010

From the audacious, dedicated kid who brought us that beloved poem “The Annoying Hardcore Dude That Goes Too Far” now comes A Thousand Angry Panthers: a darkly transparent and personal 4-track EP. It’s the latest project from Goshen, Arkansas’s passionate troubadour Bradley Hathaway – the third since he left his spoken word roots to pursue his talents in folk. Here, Hathaway comes down with a hard case of the blues as he journals about the predicaments and tragedies of an agnostic world; any doubt he’s a troubled soul dissipates when he howls “The world is screamin’” over epic, whirring guitars on the closing song. It’s almost a breath of fresh air; with Elliott Smith having passed on, and Conor Oberst writing progressively brighter tunes, it’s been a while since we’ve heard such desperation come out of this neck of the woods.

One thing you’ll notice is that Hathaway hasn’t changed his songwriting style much from his The Thing That Poets Write About The Thing That Singers Sing About era. Like the majority of folk artists in history, he opts for simplicity in melody (most songs on the EP are 4-chord brooders), though his music as a standalone continues to lack the memorable quality others have successfully captured.

Nevertheless, Hathaway once again rescues his songs by pairing them with vivid lyrics. On A Thousand Angry Panthers, he sings about an expansive range of deeply personal things: his lover’s turbulent relationship with an abusive and mentally ill father, his grandmother’s concluding moments on earth, and a series of disheartening observations about the type of people that are all too common in modern society (“a little girl touched in places she should never be, a little boy left to live alone in the street / a wife that doesn’t know how to be faithful, and a husband that doesn’t know how to keep his cool”). Yet he’s at his most charismatic when he traces the root of all these problems to one issue: “We’re all waiting for a messiah to come, but we can’t agree on who he is or which is the one.”

Hathaway, however, finds his messiah in Jesus, as do many of the characters in these songs. Listeners who are turned off by straightforward religious messages won’t find solace here, unless they can rise above their aversion and appreciate that he arrives at his conclusion as a result of authentic faith rather than relentless indoctrination. Hathaway probably doesn’t care that he’s steering away a potential audience, though, because in the end, A Thousand Angry Panthers is about something much more important than fan support – it’s about finding peace and release for the broken people he sings about. And if he can achieve that through turning to Jesus, does it really matter what the critics think? “I’d fight a thousand angry panthers screaming in the night if it meant you would be kept safe and sound and alright,” he croons in “Would You Think Less of Me,” and we believe him without a second guess.

Recommended If You LikeJon Foreman, Derek Webb, Bob Dylan

Find Bradley Hathaway on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
04:29 AM on 07/27/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Was just spinning this yesterday. A tremendous album. "The World is Screaming," is so insanely good. My gracious, there are no words. Love that you reviewed this. He's one of my faves.
09:13 AM on 07/27/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm digging this. I can't put a finger on who he sounds like...I want to say he sort of sounds like Nate Ruess just a little more edgy. No matter, this dude writes some heartfelt songs for sure.
09:14 AM on 07/27/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Excellent review. Spot on. The World Is Screaming is an incredible track too.
09:45 AM on 07/27/10
sammyboy516
User Info.
I'm digging this. I can't put a finger on who he sounds like...I want to say he sort of sounds like Nate Ruess just a little more edgy. No matter, this dude writes some heartfelt songs for sure.

I think he sounds like mewithoutyou.
10:01 AM on 07/27/10
AndrewCloer
brokenharmonics.bandcamp. com
User Info.
I think he sounds like mewithoutyou.
He was doing this style before mewithoutYou went folk. Just saying.
10:12 AM on 07/27/10
sammyboy516
User Info.
He was doing this style before mewithoutYou went folk. Just saying.
haha i know i just meant that might be who it reminds him of.
12:17 PM on 07/27/10
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
the world is screaming is absolutely moving
it's one of the most touching songs for me since
amazing because it is came out
01:47 PM on 07/27/10
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Really need to get this one. Bradley is wonderful.
01:53 PM on 07/27/10
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
I can hear that now. Now it'll be on my mind whenever I listen to him (a good thing).
02:00 PM on 07/27/10
sidekicksuicide
these are not just mountains
User Info.
I am a manly man.
03:40 PM on 07/27/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
the world is screaming is absolutely moving
it's one of the most touching songs for me since
amazing because it is came out
I totally agree. I think it's easily one of the best songs released this year. Just absolutely unreal.
09:03 PM on 07/27/10
Keith21
User Info.
Damn, beat me to it.
05:20 AM on 07/28/10
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Nice to see Bradley getting some AP love... I've generally enjoyed his live shows at Cornerstone but I'm never quite sure how much of him I can take... Will definitely check this out, tho.
04:00 PM on 07/28/10
Bloodsucker II
ExcuuUUuuse ME, princess!
User Info.
So glad to see that someone reviewed this, I love this guy.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums