AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cobra Starship - While the City Sleeps, We Rule the... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.55
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 5.97
Production 6.7
Creativity 6.55
Lasting Value 5.54
Reviewer Tilt 6.32
Average: 63%
Inside AP.net

Cobra Starship - While the City Sleeps, We Rule the...

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (10/25/06)
Cobra Starship - While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets
Release Date: October 10, 2006
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen/Decaydance

Catatonic and fuzzy is certainly not the type of music many expected from Cobra Starship, the newest effort from Midtown frontman Gabe Saporta. However, that’s exactly what Saporta delivers to open While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets. From sounding almost unsure of himself to the driving dance-party sounds of “Send My Love to the Dancefloor, I’ll See You In Hell,” listeners befriend Gabe’s alter-ego, seemingly the same one who penned “Bring It,” anchor of the Snakes on a Plane soundtrack and the song which built the independent hype around Cobra Starship.

The hip-rock sounds of “Keep It Simple” and “It’s Amateur Night at the Appollo Creed” sizzle with energy, electric beats, and catchy lyrics, although both songs admittedly leave you desiring just a bit more. The aforementioned “Bring It” forgoes the movie version’s Samuel L. Jackson intro and sticks to the true intent of the song, the duplicity and cutthroat nature of the music industry. One of my favorite songs on the album is “The Ballad of Big Poppa and Diamond Girl,” which directly references Biggie and Lil’ Kim. There’s a distinct Spanish flair and the female vocals do a fantastic job contrasting Gabe in this enjoyably upbeat ballad.

Cobra Starship’s debut should expand on the band’s cult success and hopefully begin a long career, especially with the lead single—“Bring It” notwithstanding—the glitzy shout-it-out rocker, “The Church of Hot Addiction.” Saporta parades the guest stars through While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets, although no one truly offers something that he and the Cobra Starship band could not have done themselves. Surprisingly, Nick Wheeler of the All American Rejects and Joe Trohman of Fall Out Boy enter and exit with a whimper, specifically on the Midtown-esque “Pop Punk Is Soooo ’05.” While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets should please many longtime Midtown fans, partly because many of the songs are not bubbly dance numbers. Gabe has decided to pursue the Cobra Starship tangent to his career to the fullest, even at the expense of big-money success. He reportedly turned down a six-figure advance from a major label to sign with Pete Wentz’s Fueled By Ramen imprint, illustrating Saporta’s dedication to his music and this release. This could certainly be a better-stacked album from start to finish, but as long as he’s having fun with Cobra Starship, who can truly fault him?

Buy Cobra Starship's While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets on iTunes

Track List01. Being From Jersey Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry
02. Send My Love to the Dancefloor, I'll See You In Hell
03. The Church of Hot Addiction
04. The Kids Are All Fucked Up
05. It's Warmer In the Basement
06. Keep It Simple
07. It's Amateur Night At the Appollo Creed!
08. Bring It (Snakes On A Plane)
09. The Ballad of Big Poppa and Diamond Girl
10. Pop-Punk Is Sooooo '05
11. You Can't Be Missed If You Never Go Away
Listen to Cobra StarshipAP.net Profile | Myspace | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57
04:17 AM on 10/25/06
zerock
absolute apple
User Info.
thanks, i loved the album, and saw them live, their performance was great!
04:24 AM on 10/25/06
Groogz
Here's looking at you, kid.
User Info.
I'm surprised that you picked 'The Ballad of Big Poppa and Diamond Girl' as your favorite track. It's a fun song but nothing special. Nonetheless, overall a good review. I agree with the score, too - it's nothing special, but still a good album for their debut.
05:03 AM on 10/25/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I see this getting a ton of replies, namely because you reference the major label advance...let the shitstorm begin!In all honesty, I feel this was a just review.
05:04 AM on 10/25/06
phaedrus
Registered Member
User Info.
I don't get how turning down a six figure advance shows he is dedicated to his music. I think the actual music would be what shows that, and I dont think the music really does that
05:04 AM on 10/25/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I'm surprised that you picked 'The Ballad of Big Poppa and Diamond Girl' as your favorite track. It's a fun song but nothing special. Nonetheless, overall a good review. I agree with the score, too - it's nothing special, but still a good album for their debut.
Songs don't have to be the best in all categories to hit me, though. That's why I said my favorite. It's fun, and the female vocals add something to it.
06:31 AM on 10/25/06
aposniak
User Info.
I was actually disappointed with this CD. It could just be the fact I expected another Midtown album. Some of the songs were catchy and great to dance to but others I wasn't crazy about. However, I saw the band perform on Saturday and thought that they were great.
06:43 AM on 10/25/06
PlusDanny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this album would have gotten the same reception as The Same Old Blood Rush With a New Touch if it was by anyone other than Gabe or another well-liked songwriter here. It might not make me cool, but I'm with the city on this one- here's a dance album to cure insomnia. Pick up Scissor Sisters' Ta-Dah or Shiny Toy Guns' We Are Pilots if you really want to groove to a new album this year.
06:53 AM on 10/25/06
Burnout2888
...has a gambling problem
User Info.
I think this album would have gotten the same reception as The Same Old Blood Rush With a New Touch if it was by anyone other than Gabe or another well-liked songwriter here. It might not make me cool, but I'm with the city on this one- here's a dance album to cure insomnia. Pick up Scissor Sisters' Ta-Dah or Shiny Toy Guns' We Are Pilots if you really want to groove to a new album this year.

Difference: CIWWAF's vocals are horrendous.
07:07 AM on 10/25/06
a_sk8r
Matt
User Info.
still like Midtown way better
07:08 AM on 10/25/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Danny - going to Lovedrug/Brandtson show tonight in Cinci?
07:17 AM on 10/25/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
still like Midtown way better
As do I. But Cobra Starship is not Midtown. I can't fault it just for not being Midtown. On a slightly different note, I think people who liked The Killers' Sam's Town may also enjoy parts of this CD.
07:20 AM on 10/25/06
corybarker
User Info.
Good review. Good album.
07:27 AM on 10/25/06
PlusDanny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Danny - going to Lovedrug/Brandtson show tonight in Cinci?

I'd like to, but I have three midterms tomorrow, so I'm going to be studying all night. That'll be a pretty amazing show and I've heard good things about The Myriad, so you'll have to do a review or let me know how they were when you get back. Lovedrug always has a moving live show.
08:10 AM on 10/25/06
J to the Osh
User Info.
this is a disgrace to midtown fans. nice review though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums