AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (08/02/10)
Jesca Hoop - Hunting My Dress
Record Label: Vanguard Records
Release Date: July 27, 2010

Records like this only come along once in a lifetime. Hunting My Dress, the third album from Northern California native Jesca Hoop is an enigmatic, literary and deeply moving disc of nine mini-opuses. Haunting album opener "Whispering Light," begins with the singer-songwriter's distinctive vocals in a spoken-word format and taking on a distinctive British lilt. Written as a response to her late mother's battle with cancer and her desire to not undergo chemotherapy, Hoop has admitted the song is a staunch defense of her decision. Indelible, achingly poignant and complex, it's a most fitting introduction to the engaging and often eccentric mind of Jesca Hoop.

"The Kingdom" utilizes traditional folk guitar and vocals that rise like uillean pipes. Equal parts triumphant, tribal and idiosyncratic, it is a song deeply rooted in antiquity and melodrama. "Feast of the Heart," opens with a guitar line culled from the Brit-rock playbook and Hoop offers up her edgiest vocals to date. There's a definitive attitude and swagger about the entire performance and when it finishes the urge to start it up again is almost too good to pass up.

Producer Tony Berg (Michael Penn, Aimee Mann, Nickel Creek) firmly understands Hoop's artistry and never once sacrifices that vision. The timeless "Angel Moon," lets the chanteuse display her vast range while the bacchanalian "Four Dreams," swoops and swirls, allowing her vocals to brighten as the progresses. Lead single "Murder of Birds," features backing vocals from Hoop fanatic Guy Garvey, lead singer of British band Elbow.

"Bed Across the Sea," is genre-bending and improvisational as her vocals are muted and allow a reverberating guitar to meander for four full minutes. More or less an exercise in mood and cadence, the faux-instrumental is a creative and clever work that vaults her far ahead of the current pool of female singer-songwriters. Penultimate cut "Tulip," is twisty and entrancing while title track and album closer "Hunting My Dress," is arguably one of 2010's most rewarding songs and an absolute standout.

That last sentiment is probably the best way to describe Hoop. Sure she's unconventional, a bit puzzling but in the end she is undeniably rewarding and compelling. Hell, come to think of it, Hunting My Dress might be one of 2010's most pleasant surprises.

Track Listing 1. Whispering Light
2. The Kingdom
3. Feast of the Heart
4. Angel Moon
5. Four Dreams
6. Murder of Birds
7. Bed Across the Sea
8. Tulip
9. Hunting My Dress

Recommended If You Like Nico, Kate Bush and Cat Power. Joanna Newsom, BJork, Joni Mitchell, Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos

Find Her HereWebsite
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
07:25 AM on 08/02/10
pinkzeppelin182
I got mine but I want more
User Info.
Very solid review.
I wish she would tour in America soon, it's been too long.
07:26 AM on 08/02/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Very solid review.
I wish she would tour in America soon, it's been too long.
For serious. I mean, really? Manchester, England? Come on! Come back to the U.S., jesca!
01:57 AM on 08/05/10
SixSongWorld
User Info.
Picked up her first album on a whim. Can't wait to hear this one.
04:46 PM on 08/16/10
Diego Kahlo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I came across her music by accident. The more I hear it the more I love it.
Hunting My Dress is amazing, especially the title song, The Kindgom, Angel Mom,
and Four Dreams.
12:23 AM on 08/28/11
Prince99
User Info.
I came across her music by accident. The more I hear it the more I love it.
Hunting My Dress is amazing, especially the title song, The Kindgom, Angel Mom,
and Four Dreams.
Yeah, I agree with you. g00d review.

Mortgage Jacksonville FL

Mortgage FL
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music