Password

Album Review

Galaxy Farm - Galaxy Farm EP Album Cover

Galaxy Farm - Galaxy Farm EP

Reviewed by
Galaxy Farm - Galaxy Farm EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: June 25, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Who?

Galaxy Farm are a Portland, OR trio that plays piano-based pop-rock that formed in 2009. This EP is their debut release.

How is it?
Pretty damn good. Deftly blending an intricate web of tinkling piano lines, driving guitars and soaring vocal harmonies, Galaxy Farm are definitely one of the Pacific Northwest's most promising bands. Album opener "Prelude," draws on inspired piano playing, razor-sharp guitars and concussive drumming. Vocalist Chris No Last Name Not Given's vocals rise like a siren and never let up.

"Hold On," begins meekly but build towards the finish. The album's apex is should-be single "Lady in the Midnight Sun," a splashy, throbbing effort that has powerhouse vocals, dense riffs and bombastic drums. There's little reason why this song should not be well received by the public and/or why it shouldn't make an impact on the public consciousness. But few highs are ever followed consecutively, and "Take What's Yours," and "Let it Burn," struggle to try and support the brilliance of "Lady in the Midnight Sun." They're not exactly pedestrian affairs and they aren't throwaways, but they just don't come close to the cutting brilliance of "Lady in the Midnight Sun." As with the EP's first three, they're piano-laden, guitar-heavy and featuring Chris No Last Name Given's soaring vocals.

In an attempt to rescue the entire album, the trio offers up "Mixer," which begins with a Nintendo-inspired synth. While it bobs and weaves between being forlorn and ferocious, it's not exactly the stuff of legends. Calling it a flop though would be a disservice. In the end, Galaxy Farm have crafted an earnest, impressive and sometimes shaky debut effort. But what band has it all figured out on their debut anyways? Deductive reasoning indicates that by the time the band crafts a debut full-length, people will be taking notice.

Track Listing 1.Prelude
2. Hold On
3. Lady in the Midnight Sun
4. Take What's Yours
5. Let it Burn
6. Mixer

Recommended If You Like Keane, Muse, Coldplay

FInd Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
06:23 AM on 08/02/10
cereal4life
User Info.
The RIYL is quite tantalising! Also, I think the second sentence is meant to read "debut release". Nice review, Greg.
06:34 AM on 08/02/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
The RIYL is quite tantalising! Also, I think the second sentence is meant to read "debut release". Nice review, Greg.
Its probably misleading. But I can't think of many bands they sound like. I just used the RIYL on their CD Baby page. I suck, I know.
02:07 PM on 08/02/10
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
i like this a lot. prelude rules
also, i love their band name
09:34 PM on 08/03/10
ChrisNeff88
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Chris from GF here! Thanks to Gregory for the review! Want to let any readers know that the EP is available for free from galaxyfarm.bandcamp.com. Please go check it out!
11:27 AM on 08/05/10
wall e
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!
User Info.
This is really good, the Muse comparison is spot on

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT