AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: You The Symphony - 07.29.10

You The Symphony - 07.29.10

Interviewed by
You The Symphony - 07.29.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

You The Symphony
www.myspace.com/youthesymphony

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, collectively we wanted something different, but also something that truly held a meaning to all of us. It seems like everyday on ap.net we see another band with the name “Bear” in it or a name that starts with “We Are The_____”. So we all sat back and were thinking one day, and came to realize that to us music is a collective experience between the band and the fans. There is a certain exchange that happens there, like a harmony. We wanted our name to reflect not only us, but also the people who listen to us. That’s where we came up with You The Symphony.

2. How did this band get started?

Well we knew each other from high school. I swam with Mike (guitar) in high school, and knew Jack (guitar) and Luke (vocals) from high school. We met Bertram (bass) when our old bass player left our other project, and we thought he was so good looking that we just had to have him in our band. Everything else is history.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We all really have some different tastes. Mike, our guitar player, is one of the biggest Metallica fans to ever exist, while I love Radiohead. We try to pull the best things we like out of all the diverse bands that we listen to. But I guess if we could narrow it down, we all love and draw influences from bands like Jimmy Eat World, Mute Math, and Lovedrug.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Oh geez. I think any band would be crazy to say that they didn’t want to tour with The Beatles. They were such a phenomenon, and being a part of anything that they ever did would be incredible. Radiohead would be a dream come true, but then again, I think sharing the stage with a guy as a talented as Thom Yorke would be pretty daunting. As for other current bands, we would love to tour with Anberlin. We’ve played with them before, and they are all stand-up guys. Every Time I Die would be another one. Even though I don’t think we would fit on the bill well, those guys go out every day and destroy. Plus Andy might be one of the funniest guys I’ve ever seen. Have you ever seen their DVDs? Hilarious.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?

Haha, there was just a convention in the city we're from (Pittsburgh) and there were always a ton of them downtown every day. But everyone says that I remind them of a monkey, but I think I would be a funny to be a gorilla. After I was done with the costume, we could go out into the country outside of the city and film the next Bigfoot sighting. Lord knows there aren’t enough of those already.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to our band because I think our music is accessible but also somewhat unique. There are a lot of people who listen to our music that usually don’t venture into the genre but like us because they find our music to be catchy, but also new to them. Same thing with people who are already in the scene. I think they can recognize good and honest music. There are so many bands out there who stand on the stage and tune to Drop C and just chug on their open strings, and call themselves musicians. I personally don’t respect that, and I think a lot of people are realizing that as well.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?

We have a song on our new record that’s called “Walls.” It’s pretty guitar driven. In fact, when our guitarist Jack was writing the song in his living room, his wife ended up getting really upset with him because he melted the remote that was sitting next to him on the couch with his hot guitar licks. I think that if Jack had to play it, he would definitely get a 5, because I’m pretty sure he spends more time playing guitar hero than real guitar.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Our fans for being awesome, our family and friends for supporting us over the years, God for giving us the opportunity to do what we love to do and make a living doing it, and Wendy’s for having the best dollar menu around.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would ban autotune, then travel back in time and abduct Yoko Ono.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Oh geez. One time we had a day off in Virginia Beach, so we hit up the beach for a day. Luke is kinda pasty white, and he didn’t put any sunscreen on. Needless to say, he literally almost turned purple. And towards the end of the tour, he was shedding alllll over the van. Literally, skin peeling off of his back and onto the floor in the back of the van. When we stopped to stay at someone’s house, we had to get one of those Dust Busters to clean up all the skin. It was super disgusting.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Even though we’ve never been featured on the site, ap.net is the number one site visited on my computer. I’ve been a member for some time now, and have seen bands that ap.net has helped out grow to be hugely successful. I love the fact that Jason has allowed members to be so involved in it, allowing them to write reviews, submit news, and ask interview questions. Ap.net has introduced me to half of my iTunes library (if not more), and I’ve found some of my favorite bands I never would have heard of through it. So thanks, ap.net, for being the most legitimate music-based website on the net.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Probably a song off our first record called “Breathe This Disguise.” If we had a single, that song would definitely be it. There’s a really cool bridge in it, and then it kicks back into the chorus and the energy is always huge live. That seems to be everyone’s favorite song, so we all love to play it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Hawaii. Without a doubt.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Sadly, I wasn’t raised on music. For the most part, the only music I ever heard was when I was riding in the car with mom, usually soft rock, like James Taylor, Boyz II Men, Christopher Cross, etc. Anytime I ever hear any music like that I immediately think of my childhood. But don’t ask me how many times I've listened to Paula Cole’s “I Don’t Wanna Wait” on my iPod…

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Flying. I mean, have you see Iron Man?

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?

No. But I bet if you ask most of the bands that your site covers, even the more “successful” ones, they’d say the same thing. It’s human nature to never be satisfied. To be honest, I’m very blessed to be able to be a part of a band, to be able to play music and do what I love. I’m proud of the music we make and have made some of my best friends through my experiences. So have I “made it?” Well, I still have a full-time job to pay my bills. Am I happy? More than you can know.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I’m actually Batman. No, but I don’t think anyone really knows that I like to do other things outside of music, like run marathons and triathlons. I actually crashed my bike training for a triathlon a couple weeks ago, and had to cancel a bunch of shows because I tore the ligaments in my shoulder.

18. What's your favorite holiday?

Christmas. Mostly because it’s super nostalgic, but partly because I get to watch Die Hard and Christmas Vacation on TBS.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to read and write, and am working on a few short stories. I also really like athletics, and love running, biking, swimming, snowboarding, and stuff like that. The rest of my time I spend watching Seinfeld.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can juggle and cross one eye, like Mike Meyers in “View From The Top.”

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:06 PM on 08/04/10
Lostsoullx
Check out Seven Remedies & Dinotrax
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Get it fellas! can't wait for the cd release show, I'm gonna come photograph you guys again!

-Steve

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version