AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Let It... Album Cover

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Let It...

Reviewed by
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin Let It Sway
Release Date: August 17th, 2010
Record Label: Polyvinyl
Simply put, Let It Sway is the strongest music Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin has ever recorded. The band's indie pop sensibilities soar through the album's twelve songs and never skip a beat. While Broom was a charming record in its own right, the sophomore effort Pershing was lovable but strained when it came to writing catchy music. Yet, on their third outing Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin make great hooks look astonishingly effortless.

No doubt, Death Cab for Cutie's Chris Walla had a hand in creating such a quality. His production on the record is a boon to the band's sound. If that is any indication on how future releases will sound, then the band might find themselves becoming more pertinent than their immediate contemporaries.

The record's most prized tracks are found in lead single "Sink/Let it Sway", "Banned by the Man", and "Critical Drain," all shining examples of what their genre is and can be. More than showing their musical prowess, the band has written some of its best lyrics. While Pershing's lyrics might have been a little lackluster, here they are much better (Interesting note, the band members took turns writing lyrics. While Cardwell had a hand in most, some songs are written solely by Phil Dickey and/or Will Knaur).

I rather not delve too deep into how the songs make a person feel. It would be a mistake to examine each song individually or discuss why this record will be one of the best albums this year. It would be a mistake because this music is meant to be heard and not picked apart like a biology experiment. To please straightforward review sticklers and to use an uncomplicated expression, Let It Sway is "Pretty damn good".

Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab for Cutie; The Postal Service; The Shins; Wilco

myspace.com/boris
This review is a user submitted review from nineinchsin. You can see all of nineinchsin's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
02:08 PM on 08/05/10
cwhit412
User Info.
So. Umm.
What's the album like?
08:13 PM on 08/06/10
Mochem
User Info.
Yeah, it would be nice if you talked about the music a little more. And I think it's their worst album so far. I loved Broom, and Pershing is one of my favorite albums of all time, but this one is too...rock-y. It's still really good, but I didn't enjoy is near as much as Broom or Pershing.
12:54 PM on 08/14/10
wawawa
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this album! I like the fact that it's a little more upbeat than their past CDs. Broom and Pershing were great, but they kind of drone on and on after a while.
11:35 PM on 04/22/11
SumPunk30
Hope you find what you need
User Info.
I agree with this review completely!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT