AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Change Today - The Survival EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3.75
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 3.75
Production 8
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 55%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Change Today - The Survival EP

Reviewed by: emoneil (08/05/10)
Change Today - The Survival EP
Record Label: Hotfoot Records
Release Date: May 25, 2010

Everyone has to start somewhere. Bands like Metallica, the Beatles, or Fall Out Boy didn't come out with their opus being their first release. But, at the very least, each of these bands, and bands like them, showed promise with their first release.

This is a very true statement for the Louisiana band Change Today. Their release The Survival EP is heavy, aggressive in all the right places, and I'm sure make for great shout-alongs in the clubs they play. However, the energy they seem to be shooting for doesn't come out in their debut.

The record starts out with an ominous drone, sludgy guitars and a solid drum build up. But the transition into where the song picks up and gets in your face is choppy and awkward. It's not the production on the record, which was was done by Brian Hood, but rather just the songwriting itself. The rest of the EP is relatively solid, with a few bumps along the way, but the songs were decent overall. The band is tight-knit, loud in all the right places, and certainly know their way around their instruments. I feel maybe some more experience with the band writing together, and getting someone outside of their circle to produce their follow up, will help strengthen the next set of songs they put out.

Something that did really bother me about this record was how the vocalist, Derek Guidry, used profanity. Not that I'm bothered by the actual use of curse words, or that I don't use them, but they seemed to be implanted forcefully into the music. It felt like swearing was put in, sometimes heavily, to put up a facade. I won't say the lyrics are terrible. The band has admitted that the songs are about a troublesome time in the writer's life and each person clearly expresses themselves differently. But perhaps if they had been placed differently, or less frequently, then it would've had a bigger impact. Instead, it came off more like that kid everyone knew in junior high who cursed to appear more grown up.

Is this record terrible? Certainly not. Did I hate the record? No, not at all. Again, with this being the band's first release it still holds promise. However, like all young musicians with their first release, time will certainly help them hone their craft and become better musicians together. No band is ever considered revolutionary on their first release, but the band couldl become fantastic song writers after a little more experience with each other. After all, like the title of the first song on the album, this is just "the Start of Something".

Recommended If You LikeLandscapes, While She Sleeps, Sentiments

www.myspace.com/changetodayla

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:29 PM on 08/05/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
checked out their stuff on myspace and yeah the vocals sound a little awkward. good review, i'm looking forward to more from these guys too
06:07 PM on 08/10/10
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
someone else has heard of this band? weird. i've seen them a few times, its ok
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music