AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
F***, I'm a Ghost - Self Titled Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

F***, I'm a Ghost - Self Titled

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (08/09/10)
F***, I'm a Ghost - Self Titled
Record Label: Future Recordings
Release Date: June 1, 2010

Who?

F***, I’m a Ghost is a Bay Area act aiming to push (or at the very least, refine) the boundaries of “indie.” The fact that they don’t have a problem with heaping vocals into their music makes them somewhat of an anomaly on Future Recordings, but their appreciation for the avant-garde makes them right at home.

How is it?

On their self-titled debut, the band often calls to mind latter day Brand New (in terms of somber vibes), Native and Fugazi, which should ensure them a solid fanbase here on AP.net. They do enough of creating their own sound to separate them from the pack, though. “Short Straw” is a crawling, accessible burner that revolves garage-band riffs around a dark chorus and a verse that moans “I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe anymore.” It wouldn’t exactly feel out of place on Daisy with lyrics like that, but F***, I’m a Ghost wallows in desperation smoother than Brand New does. Both “Crowned OK” and “Drop Of A Hat” are slick rockers laced with spiky guitar work and post-punk passion, while “Train Robber” boasts the “catchy” tag. Still the best tracks are the final three, all long and involved journeys (the closing number, “Drought” is more than 7 and a half minutes long) steeped deeply in artsy instrument duels. They drift from savage bursts of energy, to moments of twinkling calm, and then build until they hit a wild climax of controlled chaos, making for what could very well be the most boisterous (and, depending on who you are, pleasurable) sequence you’ve heard all year.

If the Brand New, Native and Fugazi comparisons turn you off because you listen strictly to music more experimental than these, know that F***, I’m a Ghost is far more technical and intricate than any of them. At the same time, don’t hang your head in shame if you’re on the opposite end of the spectrum and are into simpler tunes – they’re still accessible. Ultimately, they’ll lean more towards the former (which is also why they’ll do fine with the tacky F***, I’m a Ghost moniker), but on this album, they shouldn't have too much trouble winning fans from both sides. If that’s the case, then make sure you don’t sleep on these guys.

Recommended If You Likelatter day Brand New's somber vibes, Native, Fugazi, passionate artsy post-punk

Stream/download the album for free on Bandcamp.

Find the band on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
02:47 PM on 08/09/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
name is A+
05:19 PM on 08/09/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Huh. Sounds promising. I'll download this later.
05:53 PM on 08/09/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
I'm glad someone's giving exposure to Future Recordings wonderful artists.
10:48 PM on 08/09/10
Burn_Burn_Burn
Zeus to a Kronos
User Info.
With an RIYL like that, sounds incredibly promising.
A+ for Future Recordings; I absolutely adore We All Inherit the Moon.
12:37 AM on 08/10/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
just thinkin that

Also it looks like the label is giving a free digital download of the album in 320

Downloading now.
06:02 AM on 08/10/10
hello299
User Info.
How can they get away with this name? If they want to go anywhere, it will be difficult to promote the band.
08:16 AM on 08/10/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
How can they get away with this name? If they want to go anywhere, it will be difficult to promote the band.
Relatively speaking, Condo Fucks, Fuck Buttons, Holy Fuck and Fucked Up are all doing just fine. The music itself probably prevents the music from "going anywhere" in any respect where the name would be a hindrance anyway.
10:02 AM on 08/10/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Interesting review, intrigues me to check this band out.
10:53 AM on 08/10/10
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
I checked this review out solely based off of the band name. I was not disappointing with the music I heard either.
11:01 AM on 08/10/10
jtyexists9
We shouldnt have abandoned dreaming
User Info.
Shall check this later. Sounds like it could be good.
11:10 AM on 08/10/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
i like this. interesting review
12:07 PM on 08/10/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Relatively speaking, Condo Fucks, Fuck Buttons, Holy Fuck and Fucked Up are all doing just fine. The music itself probably prevents the music from "going anywhere" in any respect where the name would be a hindrance anyway.
haha, I was going to say the exact same thing.
02:23 PM on 08/10/10
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
02:48 PM on 08/10/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Whoa, are you not staff anymore?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums