AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: AM Taxi - 08.11.10

AM Taxi - 08.11.10

Interviewed by
AM Taxi - 08.11.10AM Taxi are one of the few bands left who are playing rock and roll the way it used to be done. A throwback into the punk rock sound of the 70s mixed with modern accessibility, AM Taxi have gotten plenty of attention recently. I caught up with a couple of the guys after their set at the Vans Warped Tour in West Palm Beach, Florida, and we talked about the reception of their fantastic debut We Don't Stand A Chance, the band's formation, and the roots of their sound. After you read the interview with one of our 2010 Absolute100 inductees, check out the band and purchase their debut record; it's one of the best releases so far this year.

Hey everyone, I'm here with AM Taxi at the Vans Warped Tour. Can you guys say your names and what you do in the band?

Jason
: I'm Jason and I play bass.
Adam: I'm Adam and I play guitar and sing.

This is your guys' first year on Warped right?

Adam
: Yeah.

How has the tour been going so far?

Adam
: It's been great, man. We're on the whole thing, it's just over halfway done at this point. It's definitely different from any nightclub tour we've ever done. It's fun though, it's pretty heavy. We get to hang out and watch a lot of cool music every day, though.

A lot of people criticize Warped these days because there isn't that much great music on here anymore. You guys
play more traditional rock and roll than a lot of the bands on here and you guys are viewed as one of the best new
bands in 2010. How does it feel to be out on a tour like this?

Adam
: I don't know....I don't really know if that's all true or not. I mean, I think this year's tour compared to previous years has a lot more diversity. There's still a little bit of punk rock left, and this year you get dance bands and screaming bands, plus you have diversity like Rev and the Big Damn Band. There's quite a bit of variety. People always say how there's not a lot of punk rock on here anymore, but this way it gives a lot of bands a chance to be standouts even if they're doing something different.

On AbsolutePunk, a lot of people have said that you guys are kind of like a more accessible version of The Gaslight Anthem. The modern day rock and roll scene isn't exactly that crowded. How would you guys classify your own sound?

Adam
: It's just rock and roll influenced by punk rock I guess. We listen to a lot of old music, and the new music we listen to is basically inspired by old music as well. I don't think we're reinventing the wheel by any means but we're just trying to play a little rock and roll and have fun and tell a story or two.

Who would you guys cite as major influences?

Jason
: The Clash, Springsteen, Sam Cooke, The Replacements....

Springsteen is my all-time favorite, that's actually how I got into you guys at first.

Adam
: That's awesome. I personally like his early work, like Born to Run and a little bit before and after Born to Run.

Yeah, like sort of Darkness on the Edge of Town. That's sort of the Springsteen era I fitted you guys into when I first checked AM Taxi out.

Adam
: Yeah, for sure. I mean, The River as well. I don't really like anything after Born in the USA. Not so much my cup of tea, but it's still great music. Also a lot of punk rock like The Clash and The Ramones, it's all over the board really.

You guys both used to be in a band called Lucky Boys Confusion, right?

Adam
: Yeah, we both used to do that.

How do you guys approach AM Taxi differently than you did LBC?

Adam
: We're a lot older now I guess.
Jason
: And we're with different people. It's really just a whole different experience. We're not as wild.
Adam: We're a little older, a little bit more chilled out. We still drink every night but we don't trash hotel rooms or anything. Also, they say you learn from your mistakes. We sort of learned everything the hard way. The second time around you're aware of the hoops you have to jump through and you're more ready for it.

Your guys' debut record, We Don't Stand A Chance,
got a good review on AbsolutePunk and the response was positive there. How happy are you guys with the response to the record?

Adam
: We're pretty happy. It's been like 85% positive, 10% mediocre, and 5% shitty. The response has been good, I didn't really know what to expect. When you sign to a major label, people become critical of you like you're going to change. But we played it all live in the studio, we recorded through tape which is how they did it before they had computers. But yeah, we're really excited. It seems like everyone who has had a chance to check it out has sort of liked what they heard.

And AM Taxi used to be a side project, right? Like you guys have been doing this for a few years now?

Adam
: Yeah, like two or three years now. It was never really a side project, though. Lucky Boys just stopped touring and we immediately wanted to do something else to get back on the road.

You guys are known for your singles, like "The Mistake" and "Fed Up". But the thing is that there isn't really any filler on the record. Are you guys okay with being known best for the singles?

Jason
: I don't know if we've really broken into "single" category yet.
Adam
: Yeah, like we don't get played on the radio or anything. But I don't mind it. I think if anything, people might hear those songs and be intrigued and want to check out the rest of our stuff. We let the label picks the singles...they could have picked any of them that they wanted. I think our fans are the type of fans that are going to listen to a whole record and not just a couple of songs.

One last question. A few users on AP wanted to know about Mike McCarthy, he produced your record, what did he bring to the table?

Jason
: He was awesome, he was my favorite guy. He was kind of crazy in a lot of ways, like when we recorded. He was kind of wild and would kind of start yelling at us and blasting music in the other room while we were waiting to track. We recorded live to make it sound as raw as we could possibly make it.

That was AM Taxi, they'll be on the entire Vans Warped Tour. Anything that you guys want to say to the fans?

Jason
: amtaximusic.com. Our record is on iTunes, We Don't Stand A Chance.
Adam
: See you guys all this summer. Take care.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:16 PM on 08/10/10
cherbrand11
AnthonyDarko is dumb and an asshole
User Info.
He's wrong they play The Mistake and Fed Up on Q101 a decent amount
05:57 AM on 08/11/10
Olle.89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love the mistake...its this summers outstanding song!
08:24 AM on 08/11/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Awesome interview, Thomas. So glad you interviewed these guys - they can't get enough exposure!
10:09 AM on 08/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Awesome interview, Thomas. So glad you interviewed these guys - they can't get enough exposure!
Thanks brother. And you're right....they have a very bright future and if their name keeps popping up then that will only do them more good.
10:14 AM on 08/11/10
randomacts
User Info.
Q101 is also in their hometown. He's probably talking about other radio stations across the nation. I miss Chicago...
11:55 AM on 08/11/10
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Good interview, really great band that got a well deserved reception at Chicago's warped. I had no idea they would get so many crowd surfers there.
02:15 PM on 08/11/10
Castle Builders
Been fly since I was a young larvae
User Info.
AM Taxi gets a lot of radio play are you kidding me? Lucky Boys Confusion has been one of the biggest Chicago bands; way bigger than Fall Out Boy or Plain White T's. They just never blew up nationally.
02:23 PM on 08/11/10
cherbrand11
AnthonyDarko is dumb and an asshole
User Info.
AM Taxi gets a lot of radio play are you kidding me? Lucky Boys Confusion has been one of the biggest Chicago bands; way bigger than Fall Out Boy or Plain White T's. They just never blew up nationally.
Dude so true! LBC has the sickest concerts and everyone in the area knows about them. If they weren't fucked by their label they woulda been huge
04:37 PM on 08/11/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.

They don't get much play outside of Chicago...
08:21 PM on 08/11/10
Impreza WRX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AM taxi is played on Alt Nation satellite radio pretty frequently.
08:27 PM on 08/11/10
Impreza WRX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also LBC's "Hey Driver" was played on 103.5 KISS in Chicago back when Commitment came out. They made the top 9 at 9 or within the first couple weeks they were on the air. After that the station said they couldn't play it. Q101 said they couldn't play it either. It all seemed like a bunch of logistical BS to me...
03:17 PM on 08/12/10
hello299
User Info.
Great band! I enjoyed reading an interview on them finally.
09:53 AM on 08/27/10
lbc182
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Q101 plays them and alt nation on Sirius plays them. That's about it. I'm sure that will change though. They are way too good to be overlooked.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos