Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts
01:43 AM on 08/11/10
RickRoll
Mike Richards Mancrush Club
User Info.
This is one of the only negative reviews(well, somewhat negative) of this record I've read.

I'm surprised to hear that someone who is a fan of their earlier work isn't a fan of this. It's a really natural progression for them and has some really fantastic songwriting on it, the "Favourites", as you mention, but also "Hands Reversed" and "Frankenstein" both flex muscles the band never has previously, and I think with successful results.

Josh Hook's work also really stands out on this record, he's really maturing as a guitarist.
03:22 AM on 08/13/10
RickRoll
User Info.
Good review Thomas, glad I'm not the only one who thinks some of this falls flat. I'm happy this band has achieved international success and I think they have some good songs, but that's about it. And on their current tour, I'm honestly more excited for Arkells than I am for them.
Yikes. You claim this album "falls flat" and then praise a boring, middle-of-every-road band like The Arkells?

Oof.
11:30 PM on 08/13/10
RickRoll
User Info.
It's a requirement that at least one person hates every single thing that any staff member ever writes, ever. Even if it's a picture of kittens dancing the macarena or something.
I'm not one of those people, but of course that's what will happen. You're putting your opinion out on a music site that covers a HUGE span of genres and it's only natural that you will be criticized at times. Such is life. I don't run around picking on staff members, I could care less if you're a staff member or not, I think it's funny that staff members are so worried about being "staff members" and how that influences what people think/say about them. You put your opinions out there, I comment, regardless of the staff member tag or not.

And it seems far more likely every time one person criticizes something a staff member says, then it's equally as likely the staff member will make a snide comment about it(check) and another staff member will come running to the rescue to defend them(check).

I recognize my comment was snide also, I just think The Arkells are a horribly mediocre band and I think Tokyo Police Club are doing far more interesting and engaging things.
02:03 AM on 08/14/10
RickRoll
User Info.
I came to the realization when I first wrote it. Haha. I was pretty aware of the snideness of the remark.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos