10:12 AM on 08/11/10
peterock
User Info.
this album is great, this review is not
10:22 AM on 08/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This review is about as flat as you think the album is. Poor form. This album is unreal.

How could you think Bambi fell short? Are you listening?
Thanks for that constructive criticism. I am listening, and clearly we disagree. Sorry?
Are you saying that Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix wasn't a solid, consistent album? Did you ever review it? I'd be interested to read your thoughts on it.
That album is not consistent. I did not review it and I'm not about to give it 10 listens to get familiar enough with it again haha. I wish I had reviewed it at the time though....it was getting a lot of praise and I just wasn't on that bandwagon.
Wow. I disagree with this review sooooooooooooooo hard. Sorry Thomas. This is easily one of my top 3 albums of the year so far.

Bambi falls flat? Second best track on there besides Frankenstein. Gahhh and it took so long for this review to come.
I wasn't originally reviewing it. When no review surfaced, I took care of it.
Probably my favorite work of theirs. It maintains energy and hooks pretty much from beginning to end. "Not Sick" is a ton of fun and will appear on more than a few of my future mixes I'm sure.
Interested to hear your thoughts on the album, are you going to write something for it?
Yet another reminder why this site should stick to praising alesana records instead of bland and predictable attempts to review quality music.
Oh good one. Oh yeah, you're a moron.
10:31 AM on 08/11/10
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
User Info.
I wasn't originally reviewing it. When no review surfaced, I took care of it.

Yeah I remember a staffer telling me someone else was doing it, so I was surprised to see your name. Better late than never though.
10:34 AM on 08/11/10
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
Overall, a decent review. I think for some, the band drifted somewhat away from the youthful feel of Elephant Shell, which I am totally fine with. I really love almost every song on this record and in some ways, prefer it to Elephant Shell.
10:40 AM on 08/11/10
George-Michael
User Info.
I really, really enjoy this album. Maybe my AOTY.
10:43 AM on 08/11/10
warp
User Info.
Like the others, I disagree with this review. I think the three songs you listed as the weakest on this album are actually the strongest.

Bambi shows a unique side of Tokyo Police Club that they haven't done before. The intro is unique and the whole song is awesome. Not Sick is also a strong song. I really love the bass and how it carries the song along with the vocals.

Personally, this is probably my favorite album I've heard this year actually. Agree to disagree, but I think with Champ, Tokyo Police Club really branched out and improved on how they made music. I really like Elephant Shell and their earlier work, but some of it mashes in together. With Champ, I think every song is recognizable and how they've written their songs is now in a different tone. That tone though still makes for a great indie pop record.
11:02 AM on 08/11/10
KEB182
Pedestrian Verse
User Info.
This album is AMAZING, front to back. I've listened to it every day since it came out in June and don't plan to stop any time soon. I've been a fan of TPC since their first EP, and this is hands down my favorite album they've released.

Don't be turned off by this review or the low score, do yourself the favor of buying CHAMP right now!
11:06 AM on 08/11/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Interested to hear your thoughts on the album, are you going to write something for it?

Nah. If I were going to write anything, there are a number of other albums I'd choose first. For the most part, I'm enjoying just kicking back and listening to stuff without putting figurative pen to paper. I still feel that urge to write, so at some point in the future, you'll probably see stuff from me in the review queue, but it's not likely to be soon.
11:21 AM on 08/11/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Good review Thomas, glad I'm not the only one who thinks some of this falls flat. I'm happy this band has achieved international success and I think they have some good songs, but that's about it. And on their current tour, I'm honestly more excited for Arkells than I am for them.
11:26 AM on 08/11/10
NeonBlonde407
Id rather be drinking a Vernors!
User Info.
not my AOTY but def a good listen. If you havent listened to it yet, please dont let this review stop you
11:37 AM on 08/11/10
patpratt
test
User Info.
don't really agree with this review, but well written none the less!
11:40 AM on 08/11/10
tacosmakemoney
User Info.
I agree with this completely. Elephant Shell and A Lesson in Crime are ballin, Champ... not so much.
11:57 AM on 08/11/10
AmIWrong
Mickey is Sexy
User Info.
I think I like this album more than the previous.
12:23 PM on 08/11/10
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
User Info.
Glad this finally got reviewed, even though I think it's a lot better than you give it credit for. I'll agree with the posters that said Bambi and Frankenstein are fantastic, along with the songs mentioned in the review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums