AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
House of Fools - House of Fools EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 6
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

House of Fools - House of Fools EP

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (11/03/06)
House of FoolsHouse of Fools EP
Record Label – Drive Thru
Release Date – 10/17/06

Even a fool could see why Drive Thru picked up the North Carolina six-piece, House of Fools. The House of Fools EP is a campy indie pop-rock musical with a bad case of the hand clap. Everything rhymes (no surprise there) and children (tight panted, of course) frolic free amongst fields of dandelion melodies. Licked with a young Beatles-era love and airs of Ooos and Ahhs to spare, the recipe that grazes the lobes is, for lack of a better term, pleasant. The Polyphonic Spree-like soar and half-assed pussy-whip vocals simultaneously give me tons to dig and tons to dislike.

I swing open the saloon doors, strut my spurs, and flip my nose up just a bit. I mean, DTR’s recent output isn’t recognized for its ball-breaking and genre fliparoos. Maybe it’s not cool to like the Reines siblings anymore? Or maybe I’m too quick to hate? Five tracks aren’t a great judge, but cute little samples like the flush, countrified plucking on “Better Part Of Me” are low-key and skilled. “Lets Follow” is stacked with juiced guitars and exerts a clean, fetching luster. The Mary Tyler Moore melodies can overload on the hokey-dokey, as do the occasional themes of schmaltzy cabaret, but all in all, House of Fools EP cultivates quality, comfort, and progression.

Regardless of some higher-notched arrangements, Josh King’s vocals hesitate from his band’s instrumental charm. Instead of adding more punch to the atmospheric pop, King is drab and, well, ordinary. I need more swoon, more rouge on the lips, and more thrill to give those squares a real jolt of kinetic energy. Next time ‘round, I need House of Fools to shell out an across-the-board and unparalleled pop seduction, which they possess the talent to do. Potential doesn’t cut it this time.

RIYLThe Format, The Polyphonic Spree, The Arcade Fire, Farewell Flight

AP Profilehttp://www.absolutepunk.net/houseoffools

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59.
06:36 AM on 11/03/06
Elijscott
Music is dead.
User Info.
Wow. Quite an eloquent review. I haven't heard this CD, but it sounds interesting.
06:56 AM on 11/03/06
emptyvictory
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not sure what the hell your reiew is really saying. You dig harder music, fine go listen to it. After knowing these guys from old days of The Necessary I've become a huge fan of thier refreshing style. They put on one hell of a live show and the talent showcased here belongs in the large arena playground. The mix of vocals between David and Josh is exceptional and the wild antics of Joel is all around a blast to be part of. I highly recommend listening to this offering and do not miss the chance to catch them live.

The ratings chart is for shit. Here in the south we call it "the good oldboy syndrome" you all will know what I mean when the latest offering of BN hits this site.
07:37 AM on 11/03/06
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
What are you talking about? This is one of the best EPs released this year.
07:52 AM on 11/03/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
The ratings chart is for shit. Here in the south we call it "the good oldboy syndrome" you all will know what I mean when the latest offering of BN hits this site.
Hahahahaha. No. That argument doesn't fly.
08:19 AM on 11/03/06
petey536
peace
User Info.
ouch, im really impressed by this cd, i think its one of the better EP's released this year
08:22 AM on 11/03/06
dukeboy1986
...is well Heeled!
User Info.
This is definitely one of the better EPS I've heard this year, IMO.
08:24 AM on 11/03/06
The Hardy Boys
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah I have pretty much no idea at all what you're saying here. What the hell are Mary Tyler Moore melodies?!

Anyway, this is one of the best records of the year and one of the best bands in music currently.
08:33 AM on 11/03/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Haha, welcome to AP, Julia.
08:42 AM on 11/03/06
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I couldn't get into this EP either Julia. I don't post in here too often, but am an avid reader. Don't let the negative reviewers get you down. I just shake my head half the time and you should too. Solid review.
08:55 AM on 11/03/06
RedWineSheets
www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic
User Info.
Muscianship a 8.5. hahhaah. what a joke.
09:09 AM on 11/03/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Yeah I have pretty much no idea at all what you're saying here. What the hell are Mary Tyler Moore melodies?!

Anyway, this is one of the best records of the year and one of the best bands in music currently.

I guess the Mary Tyler Moore thing was a little too obscure for some people. Basically, I thought some of the melodies were corny.

What else don't you understand?
09:12 AM on 11/03/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I couldn't get into this EP either Julia. I don't post in here too often, but am an avid reader. Don't let the negative reviewers get you down. I just shake my head half the time and you should too. Solid review.

Thank you :]

It's funny because I thought I was being nice. When I listened to the EP for the first time, I didn't like it at all. Then I picked it apart more and found some killer sections that swayed my overall opinion.
09:13 AM on 11/03/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Muscianship a 8.5. hahhaah. what a joke.

Huh? Did you think it should've been more or less?
09:14 AM on 11/03/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Haha, welcome to AP, Julia.

I love it. Hah.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates