Password

Album Review
Transit - Keep This To Yourself Album Cover

Transit - Keep This To Yourself

Reviewed by
TransitKeep This To Yourself
Release Date: August 17, 2010
Record Label: Run For Cover
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s been pretty standard for most pop-punk reviews to begin with an obligatory statement about how the genre is stagnant or dead and how powerpop/electro-rock bands have dominated/oversaturated our ears. Honestly, it hasn’t been that bad. In fact, pop-punk hasn’t been this strong in nearly 8 years. Of course bands like Metro Station, The Maine, etc., have put a sour taste in our mouths. But for every Breathe Carolina or Hey Monday release, we have received stellar albums from bands like New Found Glory, Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, Valencia, and more recently Man Overboard and The Wonder Years. So yeah, we’ve hit a hot streak. And if bands like Such Gold, Title Fight, and Man Overboard have loaded the bases, then the Stoneham, MA, quintet, Transit, has just hit a grand slam. Their second full length goes by the name of “Keep This To Yourself,” but that’ll be the last thing you’ll want to do. Good luck keeping Transit’s passionate and infectious tunes a secret. Once you hear the first chords of opener “Dear Anyone,” you’ll immediately go out and tell all your friends about the best pop-punk album of 2010.

If you’re like me and grew up with the genre in the early 2000’s and lived your life according to Forty Hour Train Back To Penn, then Keep This To Yourself will take your stereo hostage. While their 2009 EP Stay Home turned heads, there were still a few missteps. But they nipped that in the bud here. Most notably the vocal production has improved tenfold, which will make shouting along even more enjoyable, and the reworked “Please Head North” hits like a ton of bricks. Basically, the production (courtesy of Jesse Cannon) gives the album more a “full” feeling, giving dynamite tracks like “I Was Going To Cross This Out” and “Hope This Finds You Well” a ton of punch.

Keep This To Yourself finds the perfect balance between aggression and melody; delivering songs with enough edge to get your mosh on, but just enough pop to keep your girlfriend from pressing “next.” Songs like “Return Address” and “The Downsides” will get you pogoing, while “Photographic Memory” and “PS” will remind you of a time when mics were for singing, not swinging. The acoustic strums of “No Inbetween” invite you in and are a nice break from the balls-to-the-wall speed of the album, and “Love ____” works as the perfect anthem to close this stellar album, as vocalist Joe Boynton exclaims, “Oh my god/why is the world so sad?/I always knew that I would/live and die in Boston.”

It’s easy to have a jaded attitude towards the current scene just because we (music fans around my age) grew up during the peak years. We’ve become the old, crotchety next-door neighbor who yells at the younger generation to turn their garbage down. But albums like Keep This To Yourself remind us why we first fell in love with this scene and why we are going to shove this album down your throat. So next time someone complains about the genre, just remind them that they aren’t looking hard enough. Pop-punk is far from dead, especially with Transit providing the heart.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Dear Anyone
2. Please Head North
3. Footwork
4. Hope This Finds You Well
5. Return Address
6. A Living Diary
7. No Inbetween
8. I Was Going To Cross This Out
9. The Downsides
10. Photographic Memory
11. PS
12. Keep This To Yourself
13. Our New Year
14. Love_______
Produced by: Jesse Cannon

Transit is:
Joe Boynton – vocals
Tim Landers – guitar/vocals
Joe Lacy – guitar/vocals
PJ Jefferson – bass
Daniel Frazier – drums

Official Myspace; Official Twitter Account; Official AP.net Profile; Purchase Here

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 156
11:18 PM on 08/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Best pop punk album of the year, he says.
11:21 PM on 08/11/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
11:26 PM on 08/11/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i am just now listening to this right now. And I will say this, I don't know if my favorite band is Transit, because, really, I always feel weird making a comment like "Band X is my favorite ever!". But I will say, Transit is probably the band I recommend to people the most, regardless of musical preference. And they are one of the few bands that I will force down people's throats. So if that makes them my favorite band, awesome. But if not, they have at least been a HUGE influence on me over the past 14 or so months. Cannot wait to get this CD hard copy and to add to my growing Transit t-shirt collection.

it's nice to feel 16 again. Now if only I looked 16.
11:44 PM on 08/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
i am just now listening to this right now. And I will say this, I don't know if my favorite band is Transit, because, really, I always feel weird making a comment like "Band X is my favorite ever!". But I will say, Transit is probably the band I recommend to people the most, regardless of musical preference. And they are one of the few bands that I will force down people's throats. So if that makes them my favorite band, awesome. But if not, they have at least been a HUGE influence on me over the past 14 or so months. Cannot wait to get this CD hard copy and to add to my growing Transit t-shirt collection.

I'm like that with The Wonder Years. I just started listening to this as well, and I'm pre-ordering the vinyl. Now that I'm getting into these guys more, I'm just more stoked to see the show with Man Overboard, The Swellers, and Fireworks. I'll also have to pick up a CD there haha, this is going to be a pricey semester.
11:45 PM on 08/11/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Man, when I was 16, I bleached my hair and my biggest worries were acne, bra straps, and Algebra 2. haha do not miss it. But I agree with everything else you said sorry if I stole this review from you, can we still me friends?
11:57 PM on 08/11/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Man, when I was 16, I bleached my hair and my biggest worries were acne, bra straps, and Algebra 2. haha do not miss it. But I agree with everything else you said sorry if I stole this review from you, can we still me friends?
first come, i got served.

no worries. mine would have probably ended up being some blobbering emo-view about how my heart was broken once or something.

you did a very good job with this one. one of your best outings, for sure. you said alot without rambling, very precise and nice.
12:05 AM on 08/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Agreed. You got a lot across in the first paragraph that needed to be said, and still got a good review of the album in. Easily one of your better reviews that I've read.

This album is great so far, eight songs in.
01:01 AM on 08/12/10
unicornurine
User Info.
I can honestly say that I've felt so much heart and "stokage" in my heart until I've listened to this album. I've only listened to it through once, but I can completely say with all of my heart that this is my favorite album of the year.
01:39 AM on 08/12/10
twokidtech
title
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, can't wait for this album (I ordered the physical, not buying it on bandcamp)
02:10 AM on 08/12/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Nice review, Drew! I completely agree about the over-exaggeration of the dismal state of pop-punk due to synthy-power-poppy-blah. There are still many good bands out there.

For a new listener, who would you say they are similar to in sound?
02:21 AM on 08/12/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Nice review, Drew! I completely agree about the over-exaggeration of the dismal state of pop-punk due to synthy-power-poppy-blah. There are still many good bands out there.

For a new listener, who would you say they are similar to in sound?
It's like....they're more punk than most in the genre, but they aren't playful punk like Four Year Strong. They don't have those happy hardcore breakdowns or anything. They're straightforward, so they're like The Wonder Years in that sense, but they aren't quite as poppy. If you like The Menzingers or Polar Bear Club....I don't listen to much Lifetime but I can see that in here as well....then you'll like Transit. Just listen.
02:22 AM on 08/12/10
cereal4life
User Info.
It's like....they're more punk than most in the genre, but they aren't playful punk like Four Year Strong. They don't have those happy hardcore breakdowns or anything. They're straightforward, so they're like The Wonder Years in that sense, but they aren't quite as poppy. If you like The Menzingers or Polar Bear Club....I don't listen to much Lifetime but I can see that in here as well....then you'll like Transit. Just listen.
Thanks man, will do.
05:49 AM on 08/12/10
Filip Matous
Canuck living in London
User Info.
To add to the chorus, my ears are dancing. No cheap breakdowns, no obvious hooks, solid unpolished production, lovely.
06:02 AM on 08/12/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Lovin this album but wasnt 'this will not define us' their full length debut?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos