Password

Album Review

The Foxymorons - Bible Stories Album Cover

The Foxymorons - Bible Stories

Reviewed by
The Foxymorons - Bible Stories
Record Label: Foxyphoton Records
Release Date: Aug. 24, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Foxymorons are an indie rock band consisting of Jerry James and David Dewese. They formed in Mesquite, TX in 1995. Since 1998, they have been a duo and have released three critically lauded albums to date. Their latest Bible Stories, might just be their best. Though it's far from cohesive, linear or congruous, the nine songs (the album's penultimate cut is 49 seconds of ambient noise) that dot the landscape of Bible Stories veer from mid-tempo roots-rock to sun-drenched California pop with the greatest of ease. Specializing in vibrant lo-fi guitar-based pop, The Foxymorons are definitively eclectic and creatively brilliant.

Recorded after a five-year hiatus, the disc was recorded in a creaky basement during a freezing Nashville winter. The need for vernal days is most readily apparent in the rousing, sun-kissed opener "Out of Control," a shuffling, cut of near-perfect pop bliss. Unpredictably, the disc softens up on the mid-tempo "Skinny Cow Blues," a dulcet and forlorn cut, bolstered by quavering vocals, lilting piano and a plaintive melody that's both indelible and infectious.

The quiet, acoustic grace of "This Too Shall Pass," offers up the album's first glimpse at ruminative, intimate musings and winsome falsetto. It's a sentiment repeated in the Jayhawks-esque "Mesketeers (Sweet Sixteen)." The rest of the four remaining cuts are a veritable thrill ride. The caffeinated energy of the snappy "Say it Aloud," and the jangly "We All Crawl," brings to mind 90s pop purveyors Dillon Fence, while the languorous "Big Decision," and album closer "Bible Stories," slither and sprawl across the landscape like a long lost REM b-side. But for all the amiable moments, none are better than the Brian Wilson send-up "Sick of California," a timeless, buoyant ode to homesickness that's infectious, harmonic and downright perfect. If there is one song to remember from Bible Stories, it is most assuredly this one.

More than a decade into an oft-overlooked career, The Foxymorons have penned an engaging and unpredictable master class in the charms of quirky, lo-fi indie pop. Those looking to chase down similar sounds, would be wise to use Bible Stories as a textbook.

Track Listing 1. Out of Control
2. Skinny Cow Blues
3. This Too Shall Pass
4. Say it Aloud
5. Big Decision
6. We All Crawl
7. Sick of California
8. Mesketeers (Sweet Sixteen)
9. All You Ever Wanted
10. Bible Stories

Recommended If You Like Wheat, Pavement, Lemonheads, Big Star, Wilco, The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Beach Boys

FInd Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
07:31 AM on 08/12/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Honestly Greg, you are some kind of review-producing machine! You really keep them coming and I'm always surprised that the with the sheer quantity, you still maintain that high quality, too. I always enjoy your reviews so keep up the ace work.
07:38 AM on 08/12/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Honestly Greg, you are some kind of review-producing machine! You really keep them coming and I'm always surprised that the with the sheer quantity, you still maintain that high quality, too. I always enjoy your reviews so keep up the ace work.
Well thank you kind sir.
08:47 AM on 08/12/10
chrislauren
laa-dispute.tumblr.com
User Info.
They are pretty good. Plus their band name is awesome.
09:39 AM on 08/12/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Good review, this sounds quite interesting.
06:37 PM on 08/12/10
Samc1803
NO WORMS ON THE BED.
User Info.
Wow, Mesquite. That's like 10 minutes from me.
02:35 PM on 08/14/10
circasuicide
drowning in a kelp bed
User Info.
your review has convinced me to check them out.
02:53 PM on 08/14/10
SingMeInsomnia
Because I can.
User Info.
I can't get over how utterly fantastic their name is.
08:33 PM on 08/14/10
Alou
Shenanigans.
User Info.
I'll check 'em out just because of their name.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos