Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (08/14/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (08/14/10)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
06:38 PM on 08/14/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad, Frank and Melissa for putting together this round-up.

Technology Round-Up Poll

PC Magazine has written a humorous article called "21 Signs You've Been Spoiled Rotten by Technology." So what do you think? Are we spoiled by technology? [Poll]

Apple

An Apple manager has been charged with being paid to leak company secrets.

iPhone owners are more promiscuous.

One third of iPhone owners are waiting for a Verizon-compatible iPhone 4. Rumor has it that Apple is currently testing such a device which could arrive in January 2011. Meanwhile, half of the Apple Stores are out of their iPhone 4 stock.

John Carmack, the developer of Quake, demonstrated a gaming engine that runs at 60fps on an iPhone 4.

Apple has released iOS 4.0.2 and 3.2.2 to fix the PDF exploit. Since Apple is not patching phones older than the iPhone 3G, hackers are picking up the slack.

An iPod Touch with front-facing and rear-facing cameras should arrive in the next few weeks.

It appears that the Apple TV will be renamed the iTV and will only support 720p.

Internet

If your browser ready for HTML5? This test tells you how much your browser is utilizing HTML5 features.

Internet Explorer has gained market share for the second month in a row.

Delta airlines launched a new application that will allow users to purchase tickets directly from Facebook.

Twitter has released an official policy on what to do with deceased members.

A new Chrome extension informs you when someone defriends you on Facebook.

The Facebook staff has launched a a live-streaming blog to allow people to see the offices' inner workings.

Sam's Club will now offer free WiFi in all their stores to allow customers try out their new WiFi-enabled TVs.

Google

Oracle is suing Google for their use of Java in Android.

A new Chrome extension encrypts all Google searches for Windows and Linux only.

Google's South Korean office was raided by police. They suspected Google was illegally collecting data off WiFi networks.

Learn how Google knows so much about your social network, and how Google Translate works.

Gmail contacts recently got a facelift to look more like the rest of Gmail, and it now features a ton of new shortcuts. People who avoid updating their internet browsers will be asked to "switch to a modern browser" in September when The Old Version of Gmail will be discontinued.

Hear what Google has to say about their net neutrality policy with Verizon.

If you're as sad as Melissa is about Google Wave going bye-bye, join the cause with one of these Save Google Wave t-shirts.

Electronics

This periscope camera brings the only cool thing about submarines to the surface.

The new Kindle designs show a built-in microphone - does this mean spoken annotations and Skype?

It appears that Amazon is building a handheld that follows the person in front of it whether they like it or not.

Ordo releases the first camcorders with removable pico projectors.

New touchscreen vending machines have appeared in Tokyo.

Mobile

Rupert Murdoch is launching a new national news publication for tablets and phones.

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion is providing the Indian government with tools and information on how to monitor the BlackBerry.

Verizon's LTE will be launched in 30 markets, with San Francisco possibly joining the list.

Oracle is suing Google for the use of its Java product inside Android.

Samsung is working on updates to fix the Galaxy S's GPS issues.

Take a look inside the Droid 2. In addition, check out Engadget's review.

Android may feature Paypal integration into Android soon.

HTC has announced a launch event on September 15th, but has provided no detail as to what it is launching.

Dell Streak will be shipped to the US with Android 1.6, although leaked versions of an Android 2.1 update have already been discovered.

Unnamed sources at Sony are hinting at an Android-based PSP Phone.

Google has announced a new Android feature -- Voice Actions, allowing users to control their phone with spoken commands.

Computer

A trojan stole $1 million from victims' bank accounts.

Microsoft may be releasing a lot of patches in the next 30 days.

Sign up for the Internet Explorer 9 Beta if you're interested in trying it out next month.

TabCandy has now officially launched in Firefox 4. Firefox 4 beta will also support multitouch.

Early reviews of India's $35 tablet call it "fairly impressive."

AMD's 6xxx line of graphics cards may arrive in November.

Nvidia's CPU claims is has a CPU strategy.

Toshiba has new self-encrypting technology that can allow drives to be automatically wiped.

Adobe has patched 6 Flash bugs.

Tips/Tricks

Learn how to bypass your brain's shortcomings.

Check out the easier method of installing Flash on iPhones and iPads.

Sync an iPhone with multiple libraries using PhoneAble.

Learn how to recover a lost Android Phone.

Block ads on rooted Android phones with AdFree.

If you've forgotten your Windows password, learn how to reset it using a boot disk and some commands.

Use the "undo" keyboard shortcut in Firefox to quickly recover recently closed tabs.

Right-click on websites that block the action with RightToClick.

Skip YouTube ads by refreshing the page.

Learn the easiest way to move torrent files but keep seeding them.

Read Google Books on your PC with GooReader.

All your favorite travel sites are powered by the same Matrix search engine, so why not go directly to the source?

Listen to Pandora browser-free on OS X with PandoraJam.

Miscellaneous

A 16-year-old has earned over £1.2 million with his two after-school online ventures.

All six Star Wars movies will be available on Blu-ray in 2011.

The first prototype of a Nao robot that shows emotion upon interaction with humans has been completed.

Two 3D consumer camcorders were revealed this week.

Dear Meat is a Tumblr site where people write letters to objects.

WikiLeaks is preparing to release even more Afghan files.

Game Maker for Mac has finally been released.

Middlesex University in UK erroneously has sent out 2,500 college acceptance letters due to a computer glitch.

--
Contributors: klawansie7, Sarcasm, CyberInferno
07:16 PM on 08/14/10
reckoner
That's no moon
User Info.
Quote:
New touchscreen vending machines have appeared in Tokyo.
Japan is the future.
07:26 PM on 08/14/10
WishYouAway
User Info.
Star Wars on Blu Ray in 2011.

Fuck yes.
07:36 PM on 08/14/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Diehard Star wars fans were pissed when they were restored onto DVD. They'll bust a nut once all of them find out...Blu-Ray!
07:42 PM on 08/14/10
switchfeet13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
The first prototype of a Nao robot that shows emotion upon interaction with humans has been completed.
Oh no. It's only a matter of time before robots become intelligent enough to kill off the human population.
08:05 PM on 08/14/10
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
the tech round up is continues to be one of my favorite parts of this website.
08:08 PM on 08/14/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I don't get why Apple refuses to make Apple TV/iTV a cutting edge product. They just keep releasing something that's 3 years outdated.
08:10 PM on 08/14/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
And Middlesex better let those kids in.
08:55 PM on 08/14/10
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
The article on bypassing your brains shortcomings was pretty interesting. I really enjoyed the self control video, it put a lot into perspective.
10:19 PM on 08/14/10
SeeTheLights
We've Lost Our Way
User Info.
Thanks for another great roundup.
12:03 AM on 08/15/10
jeremyc
it was my only wish to rise
User Info.
BlackBerry Torch was dropped this week. Its a killer phone. The new web browser is awesome and the option to use the touch keyboard or sliding keyboard is an awesome feature. I dig mine a lot.
03:37 AM on 08/15/10
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.
That PC Magazine article at the top is painfully horrible to read.
05:21 AM on 08/15/10
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Japan is the future.
I'm in Japan right now and I saw this at the Shinagawa train station...I've been using the vending machines. Haven't used that one just yet, but from what I've heard, there's also camera's on this vending machine to basically scan your and your gender, height and such...then it recommends what kind of drink you should have. At any given time, there's a crowd of Japanese people around it.
07:41 AM on 08/15/10
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
User Info.
Japan is the future.

watch the video, even though it's in japanese (i think), it's pretty awesome.

I'm in Japan right now and I saw this at the Shinagawa train station...I've been using the vending machines. Haven't used that one just yet, but from what I've heard, there's also camera's on this vending machine to basically scan your and your gender, height and such...then it recommends what kind of drink you should have. At any given time, there's a crowd of Japanese people around it.

yes that's exactly what the article said! so crazy...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests