AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Devil Wears Prada, The - Zombie EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Devil Wears Prada, The - Zombie EP

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (08/15/10)
The Devil Wears Prada - Zombie
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Record Label: Ferret Records

The Devil Wears Prada are one of my least favorite bands. I'm not even gonna sugarcoat that. In my eyes, every song sounds the exact same, and -- personally -- I will never understand the hype. So, of course, I wasn't on board with a lot of people about the band's last full-length attempt, With Roots Above And Branches Below. The album sounded repetitive, and of course there was that godawful "Louder Than Thunder" song. Yet, above all my dislike for the band's style, I wasn't blind; I realized that this band had potential, and competent musicians. And maybe, just maybe, they would release something appealing. Enter Zombie, a short yet noteworthy EP that completely blows away anything the band has ever done.

Made possible because of screamer vocalist Mike Hranica's obsession with zombies, Zombie is dark, energetic, and full of metalcore genius. "Outnumbered" has already amassed a lot of popularity on YouTube (which is -- at the persistence of one of my closest friends -- where I discovered this EP) and is the biggest example of the dark energy surrounding this album. Beginning with a sound clip of a news report of zombies taking over, this song would have worked better as the intro to the EP. It's fast-paced and Hranica's deep growls (his best form of screaming) have improved greatly, and reign over much of the track.

"Anatomy" includes an insane piano, and a rather satisfying breakdown including the sounds of zombies growling and shotgun shells falling. If one is not careful, this album could very well induce nightmares. "Revive" is perhaps the strongest track on the album, containing actual decent clean vocals from Jeremy DePoyster and opera-like vocalizing present. It'll -- along with "Outnumbered" -- be one of the most played off the EP.

Lyrically, the EP stays true to its theme. Every song is about zombies or relates to them in some way. Sound clips legitimize the band's goal and make the album a much more frightening release indeed. And for the first time in TDWP history, the song titles actually relate to the content found within the song. No inside jokes found here. Production is remarkable, helping create a crisp sound yet raw and real. The real appeal here, however, is the band's step in a more dark metal (sometimes even death metal) direction. It's kind of refreshing. Still, the EP does tend to get a little repetitive and it starts to run out of creative juices on final track "Survivor." But, as far as improvements go, this is gold. Consider me on board, with high expectations for their next full-length.

Reccomended If You LikeHatebreed, zombies, Slayer, metalcore, death metal

Solid TracksOutnumbered, Revive

The Devil Wears Prada's Myspace
Buy It

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:24 PM on 08/22/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Anatomy is the best track off this EP (beside Revive) so fix your solid tracks section, and get rid of outnumbered.
Anyway, not that good of a review but this EP did give me reason to respect them. Can't wait to pick this up.
12:31 AM on 08/23/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I dissagree wholeheartedly on the EP becoming repetitive by the end. Every track definitely sounds distinctively different from one another not to mention that it is only 5 songs. It's pretty hard for things to bump into eachother.
04:17 PM on 11/19/10
BrandonDrake24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
INCREDIBLE album. Everything is perfect.
04:19 PM on 02/08/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Anatomy is the best track off this EP (beside Revive) so fix your solid tracks section, and get rid of outnumbered.
Anyway, not that good of a review but this EP did give me reason to respect them. Can't wait to pick this up.
Sorry I haven't gotten around to replying to your comment, I must have gotten distracted by one thing or another. I have a question though. What was bad about the review itself? Badly written, no flow, boring (I'm not being a sarcastic dick here, I'm actually curious)? Oh, and my solid tracks section is my opinion, not yours. I never said you had to agree, just like I definitely don't agree with your opinion.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums