AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article

Nathan Lint Album Cover

Nathan Lint

11/08/06
2006 was a great year for me and music. It wasn't necessarily the best year we've had in a while, but it didn't completely suck. Many of my favorite bands of years past released their albums, and most were below what I expected of them. Others, I still have respect for. I can't win this argument, we all know that we'll always say that "last year was better". So listen up you bands in my most anticipated list.

Top Albums Of 2006
30. Punchline - 37 Everywhere
29. Yellowcard - Lights And Sounds
28. Head Automatica - Popaganda
27. Bright Light Fever - Presents: The Evening Owl
26. Rock Kills Kid - Are You Nervous?
25. Controlling The Famous - Automatic City
24. Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now
23. Ronnie Day - The Album
22. Men, Women, And Children - Men, Women, And Children
21. Cursive - Happy Hollow
20. Patent Pending - Save Eachother, The Whales Are Doing Fine
19. Park - Building A Better ______
18. Inkwell - These Stars Are Monsters
17. Set Your Goals - Mutiny!
16. Rise Against - The Sufferer And The Witness
15. Downtown Singapore - Don't Let Your Guard Down
14. Plus 44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating
13. As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions
12. Christians And Lions - More Songs For The Dreamsleepers And The Very Awake
11. Forgive Durden - Wonderland
10. The Loved Ones - Keep Your Heart
09. Portugal. The Man - Waiter: You Vultures
08. Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
07. Saves The Day - Sound The Alarm
06. Saosin - Saosin
05. Moneen - The Red Tree
04. The Early November - The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path
03. Kevin Devine - Put Your Ghost To Rest
02. Rory - We're Up To No Good, We're Up To No Good
01. The Format - Dog Problems

ExplanationThe Format is quickly holding a spot as one of my favorite bands ever. In a year with some of my other favorites (Brand New, Saves The Day, Taking Back Sunday, Cursive) were release, i'd say they did very well. Speaking of Brand New, this album will never touch Deja Entendu. Moneen was my surprise release of the year (I'm not a huge fan of AWRHWWWA). Rory, Saosin, and Portugal. The Man were my picks for best debut albums of the year.

Honorable Mention
The Matches - Decomposer
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Matchbook Romance - Voices
Blackpool Lights - This Town's Disaster
Thursday - A City By The Light Divided
Trophy Scars - Alphabet. Alphabets.
Gatsby's American Dream - Gatsby's American Dream
Cobra Starship - While The City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets
Angels And Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper
Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!
Gym Class Heroes - As Cruel As School Children
New Amsterdams - Story Like A Scar
Pistolita - Oliver, Under The Moon
Pepper - No Shame
Ticker Tape Parade - Ticker Tape Parade
New Found Glory - Coming Home
This Day And Age - The Bell And The Hammer

ExplanationMany established bands were demoted to this list. Bands like Gatsby's American Dream, Gym Class Heroes, New Found Glory etc. It was sort of disheartening to see some of my favorite bands of years past to disappoint me so much this year. They were all pretty good, but not GREAT. Hopefully they'll come back with avengance with their next releases. Pistolita gets my 31st spot on my release list. I realized how much i love that cd again recently.

Top EPs of 2006
1. An Angle - 5 Days, 5 Songs
Lovedrug - Everything Starts EP
3. Colour Revolt - Colour Revolt
4. Allister - Guilty Pleasures
5. Saves The Day
- Bug Sessions Vol. 1
6. Jet Lag Gemini - Business EP
7. Adrastos - I Don't Wanna Go Home, I Want To Go To Reno
8. Moneen - Saying Something You Have Said Before: A Quieter Side of Moneen EP
9. 2*Sweet - Burning Alive In The Prairie State
10. American Eyes - Never Trust Anything That Bleeds

ExplanationIf I was to put EP's along with full lengths, 5 Days, 5 Songs would make my top 10 with no problems. I'll admit it, i'm a sucker for the Conor Oberst/Kris Anaya sound. So it didn't surprise me one bit when this EP hooked me like it did. An Angle is seriously one of the most overlooked bands of the scene. The Bug Sessions was a great EP as well. I also had Bedford Drive's The In-Between EP on here at #2, but it was pushed back into 2007.

Worst (Most Disappointing) Albums of 2006
1. Angels And Airwaves - We Don't Need To Whisper
2. The Transit War - Miss Your Face
3. Action Action - An Army Of Shapes Between Wars
4. Love Arcade - Love Arcade
5. New Amsterdams - Story Like A Scar

ExplanationWe Don't Need To Whisper made my honorable mentions, but it still ranks as the most disappointing album of 2006. Oh how i miss Blink. After The Transit War's Ah Discordia, I was craving more from them, but I was really let down by their new release. Nothing really caught me on this album. I love Count The Stars and Action Action, but they were lacking on their new release. Love Arcade was the cheesiest thing I listened to all year. I question how this band got signed. And fianlly, Pryor let me down with the New Amsterdams' newest release. Oh how i miss The Get Up Kids.

Albums I Missed In 2005
JV All Stars - Girls Forget Your Boys Forget Your Girls
Somerset - Pandora
Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later
Kevin Devine - Split The Country, Split The Street
Reubens Accomplice - The Bull, The Balloon, and The Family
Gym Class Heroes - The Papercut Chronicles
Valencia - This Could Be A Possibility
Lydia - This December: It's One More And I'm Free
Secret Lives of The Freemasons - This Was Built To Make You Dance

ExplanationThe JV All Stars is some refeshing pop-punk that kept me entertained for the first 8 months out of the year. I went back in time and listened to Kevin Devines last album for the first time. The Format recommended Reubens Accomplice, and I wasn't let down. Gym Class Heroes' cd got me back into hip-hop. I hadn't listened to anything after 2000.

Albums Your Parents Will Love
The Format - Dog Problems
Kevin Devine - Put Your Ghost To Rest
Christians And Lions - More Songs For The Dreamsleepers And The Very Awake

ExplanationThe Format is our ages Beach Boys, you can disagree, that's why this is my best of and not yours. Christians And Lions has a very lo-fi folky sound to it, and I dig.

Up And Comers To Watch in 2007
Colour Revolt
Ronnie Day
Valencia

ExplanationRonnie has a lot of potential. Valencia comes back with a new cd next year.

Best Producer Of The Year
Mark Hoppus
Matt Squire
Howard Benson

ExplanationThe dude seriously produced so much this year, his best was definitely his own. Squire came in second with the Cassino demos, and Bensons best work was Saosin.

Best New Band Of 2006
Portugal. The Man
The Loved Ones
Set Your Goals

ExplanationPortugal. The Man is definitely a grower. It didn't stop growing for a long time, though.

Best Music Video Of 2006
Inkwell - Just Take The Monkey And Leave
The Early November - Decoration
Cobra Starship - Bring It (Snakes On A Plane)

ExplanationInkwell made an amazing cartoon music video with the lead single off their new album. Early November kills vampires with guitars. Cobra Starship sings about something...

Best Lyrics of 2006
Kevin Devine
Nate Reuss
Ace Enders

ExplanationKD is catchy, what can i say? Nate Reuss let it flow in 2006, and Ace Enders kept it going for 3 cds.

Best Vocals of 2006
Nate Reuss of The Format
Dan Nigro of As Tall As Lions
Matt Van Gasbeck of Downtown Singapore

ExplanationDog Problems, Oceans, and Snails are three reasons why Nate got the top spot for this one. Both Dan and Matt showed their more versatile selves on their releases.

Best Unsigned Band
Bedford Drive
Capitol Risk
The Weakend

ExplanationBedford Drive has been at it in this music scene for nearly a decade now, and thats sad...because i'm sure 9 out of 10 of you have never even heard of them. Their EP doesn't come out till next year, but watch for it. it's really good. Next come a group of dudes that i've come to know pretty well. Their well on their way to getting signed, really good dudes too. Finally, we have the Weakend. A band that should've been signed two years ago, but have yet to get that contract.

Biggest Sellouts
Angels And Airwaves
Panic! At The Disco
Taking Back Sunday

ExplanationThis was just filler. Nothing to see here.

Best Live Show
Patent Pending
Circa Survive
Say Anything

ExplanationOkay. Now i know what you may be thinking. Patent Pending? Man. This band was the life of the party when I saw them. They had the most energetic fun show I may have seen all year. Circa Survive is next and it was my first time seeing them. Anthony Green is a fucking beast. Max Bemis and Say Anything come in at third with their branch of shows.

Hardest Working Band Of 2006
Punchline
Circa Survive
New Found Glory

ExplanationCome on now. Don't tell me you didn't see Punchline somewhere doing something. A full year of touring, all of Chris Fafalios and co's crazy videos? Circa Survive and New Found Glory did quite some extensive touring, while both writing.

Best Record Label
The Militia Group
One Eleven Records
Vagrant Records

ExplanationThe Class Of 98, Appleseed Cast, Brandtson, Controlling The Famous, Umbrellas, Lakes, Denison Witmer, Copeland, Ronnie Day, The Rocket Summer, and Tahiti 80. This label put out albums that were loved by many. There is very few of you that are into softer music that didn't get into at least one of these releases throughout the year. One Eleven had an amazing year as well with Rory, Inkwell, and This Day And Age (RIP). Finally Saves The Day and Moneen redeemed Vagrant Records in my mind.

Most Overrated Band
My Chemical Romance

ExplanationThe Black Parade was not that good. I got sick of it after the first four tracks were done.

Most Underrated Bands
Rory
The Format
Moneen

ExplanationSome people say that Rory doesn't have much lasting value, but for some reason, this band has risen to the top of my favorites with the last two releases. The Format and Moneen are bands that I would like to see on the radio other then Breaking Benjamin and Stone Sour.

Worst Breakups
Hot Water Music
Downtown Singapore
This Day And Age

ExplanationHWC was together for more then a decade, i'm sad i'll never get to see them in concert. Downtown Singapore really got me down. Their cd made my top 30, and i'm sad to see them go like that. This Day And Age was also another bad breakup. I saw them right before they broke up and they were amazing.

Best (Catchiest Song) Single
Cursive - Dorothy At Forty
The Format - The Compromise
The Early November - Hair

ExplanationDorothy At Forty is only one reason why i love Cursive. The Compromise was definitely not their best song, but every song on that release was amazing. Hair is a fun song, I don't care what you say.

Best B-Side
Brand New - Coca Cola
Northstar - Broken Parachute (Alternate Version)
Patent Pending - The Website Is Under Construction

ExplanationHey...it's not the demos, but it'll do. Northstar is always amazing, and The Website Is Under Construction still has me wondering where the hell Coolio is tonight.

Worst Single
Yellowcard - Lights And Sounds
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

ExplanationLights And Sounds was a bad single for Yellowcard. I already gave my opinion on TBP. I don't listen to the radio enough to tell you a third shitty single.

Man(Woman) Of The Year
Mark Hoppus
Cove Reber
Chris Conley

ExplanationMark Hoppus is the man. He's a genuinely nice dude. He produced this year (The Matches, some of Rory), he toured this year (Plus-44) and released his own cd this year (Plus-44). Cove held his own against all the Green-loverboys. He's got some damn good pipes. Chris Conley made his comeback into the scene with his pink hair. I saw him at least 4 times this year with that pink hair, and he's the only person that could pull that off.

Band Of The Year
The Format
Saosin
Moneen

ExplanationThe Format came back with avengence this year. When bands come out with something like Interventions and Lullabies, you expect their next release to suck, right? Wrong. This was chosen as my band of the year for their album, their live show, the way they got back on their feet after being dropped etc. Saosin was becoming our generations Chinese Democracy. Members moving to start different bands, troubles within and out of the bands, rumors etc. Moneen was raised tenfolds in my book with this release.

Best Band Related DVD
Northstar - The Uncomfortable Camera

ExplanationThe only DVD you need to know about this year is Northstar. Nothing more.

The Next Big Thing(s) of 2007
Cassino
Circa Survive
Permanent Me

ExplanationNick Torres, Tyler Odom and co. will be my choice for next big thing for next year. Circa's new release will bring them above Saosin's current fame because it's the new kind of music that's popular. Permanent Me has the potential to be the next Starting Line.

Most Anticipated Releases of 2007
Say Anything
Cassino
Circa Survive
Motion City Soundtrack
Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
Lifetime
Down To Earth Approach
Bright Eyes
The Academy Is...
Relient K

Explanationa decade of waiting for new Lifetime? A new epic Bright Eyes album for me to obsess over? Sophmore releases from four of these bands, will they be slumps? We'll see.

Predictions for 2007
AP.net gets more hits a day then Myspace
2007 is one of the BEST touring years in a long time.
The way radio works will be shifted.
Bands like Nickelback and Hinder will still be popular.
a new subgenre of the word "emo" comes about

Best Songs Of 2006 (In No Particular Order)
Cursive - Dorothy At Forty
The Format - Dog Problems
Early November - Outside
Saves The Day - Bones
An Angle - I Promise You (We'll Be Okay)
Moneen - If Tragedy's Appealing, Then Addiction's A Disaster
Brand New - Jesus Christ
As Tall As Lions - Stab City
Forgive Durden - Beware The Jub Jub Birt And Shun The Frumious Bandersnatch
Cassino - All 3 Demos

ExplanationI had a list for this, but it got deleted while I was doing it...so this is the best you're gonna get

This is all. For all of you who haven't met me yet, you'll be seeing much more of me next year. I hope to be here for a while.
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
02:57 AM on 12/21/06
samantha b-face
set the building on fire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lights and sounds? no
the black parade: four tracks wasn't far enough. Teenagers gave me chills.
and kick ass for best band of the year. moneen rules ridiculous amounts

05:00 AM on 12/21/06
sasalukac
giddy up
User Info.
woot saosin
08:07 AM on 12/21/06
im 2*Sweet
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome that you've listened to 2*Sweet. i love that ep but the matches should have esilymade your top 10

u do mention some other bands that nobody else really did. patent pending is so much fun live
08:33 AM on 12/21/06
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did anyone in all of the army of reviewers in the vast US actually listen to what Saosin sounded like BEFORE the album was released? Regression has never sounded so awful.
09:47 AM on 12/21/06
Probono
User Info.
capitol risk best unsigned band!
10:20 AM on 12/21/06
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
saosin? top 10? i will forgive you since you have patent pending on two of those lists. they are a great band to see live and convert many fans at their shows
10:54 AM on 12/21/06
DreamOfUnity
User Info.
I really like your taste.
12:51 PM on 12/21/06
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
For all you Saosin haters. Yes I own all of the Saosin releases. But I really dig their new sound. If you wanna listen to Anthony, go listen to Circa Survive.
01:14 PM on 12/21/06
losethegirl
Super Hero In My World
User Info.
Props for the Punchline recognition. They work their asses off and are such great guys. Plus I love seeing them live.
01:33 PM on 12/21/06
Branevember31
Eric
User Info.
thank you so much for giving the early november some love...its my number 1 album of the year and people seem to be really overlooking it
03:53 PM on 12/21/06
Lehcar
User Info.
Great to see some Saosin/TEN love on some of these lists.
I also agree with your next big things of 2007 list.
03:56 PM on 12/21/06
James Johnson
Bottle Kissing Since '05
User Info.
Loved Ones - Keep your heart was such a good album, well done for mentioning it!
06:02 PM on 12/21/06
GreenJellyBean
i'm a girl.
User Info.
nice valencia and capitol risk shout outs.
09:51 PM on 12/21/06
rude_awakenings
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just wanted to let you know that you definitely got it right with The Format as #1

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos