AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Brandon Allin

Written by: Brandon Allin (11/08/06)
First off, I'd like to extend a token of my personal gratitude to every one of you who stumpled upon, scanned, or read my lists. We here at AbsolutePunk.net work together as a team to bring you a taste of everything we possibly can, and without you, our readers, we would be nothing at all. Thank you.

Before we begin, please allow me to reiterate the fact that I do not know what's "best." I am simply a music fan, supporter, and enthusiast alike each and every one of you, and that is all I will ever claim to be. The following rankings are my personal opinions, and while you may agree or disagree with them all to a phenomenal extent, please do me a favour and take them for what they're worth. Therefore, without further adieu, may the festivities begin:

Best Albums of 2006

In my honest, unbiased opinion, 2006 was a wonderful year for music. The world set eyes upon a handful of the best releases to date, and I could not be more proud of our prized musicians. However, as always, there comes a moment when one faces the challenge of determining which releases outshone the rest. Here, after much deliberation, are the albums that made my personal list this year:

1) Frank and his Skunk Allstars - Hatred of a Minute
2) Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album
3) The Aggrolites - The Aggrolites
4) Streetlight Manifesto - Keabsey Nights
5) Westbound Train - Transitions
6) Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life
7) The Johnstones - Word Is Bond
8) The Slackers - Peculiar
9) Bomb the Music Industry! - Goodbye Cool World
10) Skratch3 - Crash and Burn
11) Catch 22 - Permanent Revolution
12) Rx Bandits - ...And The Battle Begun
13) Subb - The Motions
14) The Expos - Old Friends
15) No Torso - Several Brains
16) Less Than Jake - In With The Out Crowd
17) One Night Band - Way Back Home
18) Pama International - Trojan Sessions
19) Against All Authority - The Restoration of Chaos and Order
20) The Aquabats - Charge!! (Reissue)
21) Cheap Suits - One Giant Leap
22) The Pinstripes - Higher Ground
23) The Flaming Tsunamis - Fear Everything

Best EP's of 2006

While I do owe a handful of my most breathtaking moments of the past year to the industries' full-length release, the world also glimpsed some of the most profound EP's we've seen thus far. It's no exaggeration in stating that an EP often fails to capture the true essence of a band's appeal, and while I've witnessed a fair share of those particular occasions, just as many have hit me harder than you could possibly image. Here are the EP's that I felt led the pack this year:

1) High School Football Heroes - We've Fooled Around Long Enough
2) Catch-It Kebabs - Return of the Kebabulance
3) Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause - Don't Shoot the Messenger
4) Less Than Jake - Absolution For Idiots and Addicts
5) Suburban Legends - Dance Like Nobody's Watching

Best New Bands of 2006

There isn't anything nearly as exciting as discovering a new artist, musician, or group of performers that peform flawlessly, or at least in my humble opinion. The following band's each released full-length albums this past year, and I could not count myself as more impressed with their efforts. Here are the best new bands the world discovered in 2006:

1) Frank and his Skunk Allstars
2) Tim Armstrong and The Aggrolites
3) The Johnstones
4) Skratch 3
5) The Expos

Band to Watch For in 2007

For the past year, I have been following the formation of one act. I have spent every free moment, albeit with next to no luck, trying to scrape any details I possibly could. However, after hours of my own personal effort, I can honestly say I have not been more excited than I am for the world to lay it's eyes upon that very band. The band we should all watch out for in 2007 is:

1) New Sound System Takeover

Albums to Watch For in 2007

With another great year for music under our belts, there isn't much we can do besides set our expectations high for what is yet to come. While I'm sure the next twelve months will be filled with a handful of wonderful album's, here are the release's I recommend you set your sights on in 2007:

1) Streetlight Manifesto - TBA
2) Reel Big Fish / Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer - Duet All Night Long
3) Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life
4) Mad Caddies - TBA
5) Big D and the Kids Table - Strictly Rude
6) Big D and the Kids Table / Brain Failure - From Beijing To Boston
7) Buck-O-Nine - Screamin' From The Suburbs
8) Mustard Plug - TBA
9) Bedouin Soundclash - Sound Gospels
10) Bomb the Music Industry! - No No New York
11) Mu330 - TBA
12) Dan Potthast - TBA
13) The Planet Smashers - TBA
14) Deal's Gone Bad - The Ramblers
15) Voodoo Glow Skulls - TBA

Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it! It took more time and patience than you could possibly imagine to rank my favourite releases of the year, but after much deliberation and corrections, I can finally say that all has been said and done. Thank you to anyone to who took the time out of their busy schedule to browse my list, and I'd love to read any others you'd care to shove under my nose.

Here's to the past, here's to the future, and here's to music.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
12:36 AM on 12/21/06
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
you're such a ska kid!
12:39 AM on 12/21/06
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
User Info.
some great albums amongst that list mate! good to see the slackers in there! & i can't wait to hear the new streetlight manifesto, the toasters & the pietasters. should be good!

& while i'm here i'd just like to say my thank you's to ya mate, as a staff member you’re the man. the work you put into promoting ska music & great ska bands round here is just awesome mate. i've been with ya from the get go so i know what i'm talking about when i say you go out of your way to help fellow ska lovers, or answer their queries about any band related stuff, ya always go back & reply to peoples comments in all ya threads/interviews/reviews & so-on & it really is appreciated. i've even noticed more ska related threads on the news page are getting a lot more replies than back in the day when ya started & i think that just shows how much your work is valued as more & more ska fans register onto the boards & it's all thanks to you mate. the real go-to ska guy!
07:06 AM on 12/21/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.

It's true, my friend. It's true. Haha.

some great albums amongst that list mate! good to see the slackers in there! & i can't wait to hear the new streetlight manifesto, the toasters & the pietasters. should be good!

& while i'm here i'd just like to say my thank you's to ya mate, as a staff member you’re the man. the work you put into promoting ska music & great ska bands round here is just awesome mate. i've been with ya from the get go so i know what i'm talking about when i say you go out of your way to help fellow ska lovers, or answer their queries about any band related stuff, ya always go back & reply to peoples comments in all ya threads/interviews/reviews & so-on & it really is appreciated. i've even noticed more ska related threads on the news page are getting a lot more replies than back in the day when ya started & i think that just shows how much your work is valued as more & more ska fans register onto the boards & it's all thanks to you mate. the real go-to ska guy!

Thanks, Craig. That all means a phenomenal amount to me. You know how I much I value your support, and writing for this website would not be the same without you. I love you, pal.
09:26 AM on 12/21/06
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
User Info.
i really enjoyed your list. you included a bunch of my favorites including aggrolites, high school football heroes, and westbound train. i cant wait to hear the tim armstrong cd-i love both songs i've heard from there...that shit is just catchy as hell. yay for a great list!
11:18 AM on 12/21/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
<3, here's to another succesful year to you, Brandon. I cant wait to see how you top yourself.
12:46 PM on 12/21/06
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
It really is a shame not many people have heard the Frank and the Skunk Allstars album.
01:00 PM on 12/21/06
HiddenInNJ
User Info.

thats about all i have to say as well
02:10 PM on 12/21/06
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
I was gonna say..."Did 30 ska-punk albums even come out in 2006?"

I guess not, but it's somewhat close.
04:18 PM on 12/21/06
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
I really need to buy Keasby Nights already, haha.
Good list Brandon!
06:45 AM on 12/22/06
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
great list Brandon!
08:22 AM on 12/22/06
growingfungus
eat. sleep. repeat.
User Info.
your list is rather unfortunate
09:18 AM on 12/22/06
Said_Anything
User Info.
I cant wait for that new Bedouin Soundclash, those guys are amazing.

And High School Football Heroes is deff the top EP of the year.
09:45 AM on 12/22/06
Dan1234
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is an awesome list! Brandon has the best taste in music on ap!
01:29 PM on 12/22/06
fredrico0012
Listen to Less Than Jake
User Info.
I've got to agree with the High School Football Heroes EP. One of the people in the band convinced me to buy it and I did and the second I put it into my cd player I just thought, "I wish I would have caught the end of their set" Catch 22 was playing about 20 minutes before them at Warped and I decieded to not walk over and see them afterwards.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version