AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Julia Conny

Written by: Julia Conny (11/08/06)
Introduction

I joined this website two months ago which is barely a taste in the longer schemes. But in just those two months, I have discovered more music that I really like (and hate) than any other compressed amount of time. I'd even venture to say I'm more open-minded that I ever was. I would've probably written off Regina Spektor as another female songwriter with a tortured soul, and I would've been completely wrong. I'd be overlooking Pompeii, Band of Horses, and The Dear Hunter. I've waited for more Myspace and Purevolume players to load that ever before. And I still don't think my list reflects that enough. I've only begun learning not to rely so much on my discography of personal classics. I imagine if I took a peek into all of your favorites, I'd have a list that could keep me listening for days.

2007 will be a great year for music, I feel it in my bones.

Top Ten Albums of 2006

10) As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions

ExplanationThere is a gentle and jazzy maturity that As Tall As Lions calls their own, and when I immediately started spinning their self-titled, it was clear they really figured where they wanted to go and how they could craft emotions, hard and soft, without haphazardly throwing music in your face.

9) ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - So Divided

ExplanationTrail of Dead runs cooky melodies and interesting electronics through my bloodstream. So Divided kept me occupied over and over and on multiple levels of emotional response.

8) Downtown Singapore - Don’t Let Your Guard Down

ExplanationI would've given my left arm to see them guys breaker into a bigger territory. Don't Let Your Guard Down was an excellent effort for a debut full-length, and Jerry Scott's falsetto was an Anthony Green prodigy.

7) Rainer Maria - Catastrophe Keeps Us Together

ExplanationI rarely find female vocalists that strike a lasting fancy for me, but Rainer Maria was a balanced catchy and sweet. I felt a feminist connection to Caithlin De Marrais.

6) Class of 98 - Touch This And Die

ExplanationClass of 98 is what I think a pop-punk should be. "Bass Guitar" made almost all of my mixed CD's this year.

5) Spitalfield - Better Than Knowing Where You Are

ExplanationI might get this shit for this, but I think Spitalfield has one of the more original pop-punk get-ups out there. They have a killer knack for layering ethereal guitars and naive romantics, which is sometimes all a girl needs. I don't think Better Than Knowing Where You Are was better than Stop Doing Bad Things but more like a part two. And since Bad Things made my list last year, I'm happy to host it again.

4) Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me

ExplanationAh, the mega-important release of 2006 and EASILY my most anticipated. Brand New is arguably my favorite band, but TDAGARIM still struggled to keep up with the lyrical bullseye and all around home runs of Deja Entendu. I have a very personal connection to Brand New and I knew that in order for me to fully believe in their new efforts, I'd have to reconnect. I think "Jesus" is the best work the band has ever done, "Limousine" is perfection in it softer parts, and "Not The Sun"/"Anchers" prove to me that the dudes still have some faster tricks up their sleeves.

3) Pompeii - Assembly

Explanation"Numbers" and "Catalogue" originally sold me on Assembly, but after a deeper glance, I noticed little quirks and lyrical itches that fulfilled a soothing, good-natured package I needed at the time. The end of my 2006 was frantic at times and disillusioning at times; Assembly always helped that.

2) Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

Explanation"Our Swords" is my favorite song of 2006. Hands down. The rest are awesome too, but "Our Swords" fucking guts it.

1) The Format - Dog Problems

ExplanationThe Format is everything I think a band should be. I remember listening to "The First Single" and my hands clapping along before i even learned the words. The best bands and the best songs invoke you physically like a reaction of nerves. Dog Problems plays less on the hand clap but still make an album that is utterly impossible to sit still to. Without fail, The Format changes my mood.

Honorable Mentions of 2006

Say Anything - …Was A Real Boy Re-release
Smoking Popes - At Metro
The Early November - The Mother, The Mechanic & The Path
The Audition - Controversy Loves Company
The Blood Brothers - Young Machetes
Saosin - Saosin
Punchline - 37 Everywhere
The Sleeping - Questions and Answers
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
The Forecast - In The Shadow of Two Gunmen

Worst Albums of 2006

Angels and Airwaves - We Don’t Need to Whisper
Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

ExplanationI cannot, for the life of me, figure out why HGB would release an album of tracks we have all heard before and nearly three years ago. Drive Thru or not, this album was as pointless as it gets. And Tom DeLonge, calling your music “epic” doesn’t actually mean that your music is “epic.” Lame.

Most Anticipated of 2007

Piebald
Valencia
Say Anything
Hot Rod Circuit
Ted Leo & The Pharamacists
Panic! At The Disco

ExplanationI may or may not have already heard Piebald’s Accidental Gentlemen ;], but all four of these releases, if all goes well, are very likely to make my Top Albums of 2007. The Hot Rod Circuit disco is one of my most prized possessions. Nonetheless, Reality’s Coming Through was one of my bigger let downs of 2004. I pray at the foot every night of my bed for HRC and the budding potentials of excellence. I'd like to see if Valencia's follow-up to This Could Be A Possibility will be a reiteration or advancement. As for Panic, I am dying to know what kind of overdone sophomore gimmick they will think up next. I'm sure it will be very interesting.

Most Overrated Albums of 2006

Gatsby's American Dream - Gatsby's American Dream
Hit The Lights - This Is A Stick Up, Don’t Make It A Murder
Over It - Step Outside Yourself
Anathallo - Floating World
Cobra Starship - When the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets

ExplanationIf Cobra Starship didn't have Mr. Saporta and a cute little film/internet buzz, I highly doubt anyone would've given this as much as a quick glance. I never was a big Midtown fan, so that's probably a big part of it. Anathallo and GAD I just don't "get," and I've tried. Take my street cred if you must. Over It bored me, live and on recording. And Hit The Lights' "Bodybag" irritated me more than any other song released in 2006. Really.

Biggest Letdown of 2006

Dashboard Confessional - Dusk & Summer

ExplanationI know every word to every Dashboard song, but when Dusk & Summer crooned Chris Carrabba as a washed up romantic, a little part of me died. I fully welcomed and enjoyed A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar even without the acoustic intimacy, so a full band wasn’t the problem. It just sucked.

Top Labels of 2006

One Eleven
Eyeball
Fueled By Ramen

ExplanationEyeball released Pompeii's Assembly, which makes me a happy girl. I think their lineup is like a hidden treasure chest. One Eleven was the campus whore; everywhere I turned, there was a new 111 banner or tour e-card. No matter how much you hate CIWWAF or that FOB went mega-popular, FBR know their shit.

Top Up and Comers of 2006

The Transit War
All Time Low
The Dear Hunter

ExplanationA friend suggested The Dear Hunter to me, claiming I MUST listen. When I did, I was blown away, and that's pretty tough to do nowadays. All Time Low had the big time formulas down since before they signed to Hopeless, and considering how fast they've gained national popularity, I think that's a good indication towards greener pastures. The Transit War have all the indie pop rock ingredients, and they're releases are good for solid executions.

Best ‘Other’ Webzine of 2006

Pitchfork
Pastepunk

ExplanationJordan Baker runs one of the top-notch and most well organized webzines out there. Oh, and he's an awesome writer too. In fact, when I was a baby writer fighting for the ranks, I sought after a style and finesse like his. I read Pitchfork when I have writer's block. I usually don't understand what they're saying in their reviews, but it sounds so damn hot.

Top Eps of 2006

Agent Sparks - Not So Merry
The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North

ExplanationLike I said before, The Dear Hunter left me lurking their Purevolume page for weeks straight. Agent Sparks' "Choke" hit up many of my mixed CD's this year.

Top Guilty Pleasures of 2006

Boys Like Girls - Boys Like Girls
Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now

ExplanationBoys Like Girls was ALWAYS in my car and it would magically make its way to my stereo on many occasions. As for Taking Back Sunday, Where You Want To Be was a sophomore slump, and I think a lot of fans are in agreement. Louder Now did some good things, and I thought "Make Damn Sure" was a killer single (the video was kinda neat too).

Saddest Break Ups of 2006

Rainer Maria
Downtown Singapore
The Juliana Theory

ExplanationI gave up after Love,but Emotion Is Dead still ranks up there. Even if it was TJT had run its course, I'll be lighting candles annually. Downtown Singapore was my favorite MD band of all time, and they were so close to bigger pictures.

Best Reunions of 2006

Texas Is The Reason
Gorilla Biscuits
Smoking Popes
As Cities Burn

ExplanationI love reunions. The make me all warm and fuzzy inside. As Cities Burn reformed because swarms of fans let them how much they will be missed, and the band decided to give it another show. Power to the people. The Smoking Popes, Texas Is the Reason, and Gorilla Biscuits are all considered "classics," if you will," an when the classics reunite, it brings back fond memories of pre-P!ATD days. Fugazi, it's your turn next

(Some) Top Songs of 2006

"Choke" - Agent Sparks
"Our Swords" - Band of Horses
"Jesus" - Brand New
"Hotel Song" - Regina Spektor
"Flashlight" - Punchline
"The Compromise" - The Format
"Bass Guitar" - Class of 98
"Hair" - The Early November
"Voices" - Saosin
"Don't Call Me Peanut" - Bayside

ExplanationThese are only some of the jewels I jammed to.

2007 Predictions

Already considering some upcoming releases, 2007 is destined for good things. I expect some really awesome and fresh indie-pop outfits and lots more gimmicky bands. I also expect P!ATD to fall and burn. Say Anything will continue rocking my face and the new Fall Out Boy leak will cause the Internet to temporarily turn off. I'm excited.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
04:45 PM on 11/08/06
Melissa Johnson
True Punk Fan
User Info.
I'm in your thread. Stealin yer postz.
12:34 AM on 12/21/06
ilovebrandnew
User Info.
I just wanted to say I love your taste in music and will definitely be checking out some of these bands. :)
05:23 AM on 12/21/06
NYC27
User Info.
I agree with a lot of your choices, particularly the song "Bodybag". That song makes me want to punch my iPod with a brick when it has come on on shuffle.
05:39 AM on 12/21/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.

That was released in 2005.

It's still catchy as hell though.
05:54 AM on 12/21/06
dillonzach86
Zachy D
User Info.
Anathallo, overrated?
06:29 AM on 12/21/06
sdbrown
I'll let you in something secret
User Info.
I had no idea you joined that recently; I'm not an old member by any stretch of the imagination but I definitely wouldn't have noticed. Good list btw, I totally agree with every one of your overrated picks.
07:49 AM on 12/21/06
Özgür Kurtoglu
-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey! You mentioned The Blood Brothers!

I've been waiting for this.
08:18 AM on 12/21/06
mdarket
visit - www.myspace.com/markadfour
User Info.
Yeah bad call on the Anathallo "overrated". I have not seen Anathallo on many lists anyways. It is the most well-crafted album I've heard in years from an independent. But I appreciate your time to consider them.
12:50 PM on 12/21/06
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
At least someone gave the Smoking Popes some props.
01:12 PM on 12/21/06
HiddenInNJ
User Info.
im glad someone else realizes Pompeii's stunning brilliance in the release of Assembly... i just found this band about 3 days ago and I didnt know Texas had it in them... i also agree with Eyeball being a treasure chest (Pompeii, The Modern Day Saint, and New Atlantic)... I agree with your opinion on "bodybag" but Hit the Lights is an extraordinary bunch of guys I have met on a couple of occasions and its a great debut full length... and i also cant wait for piebald... they put on such a great live show
01:36 PM on 12/21/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
That Hit The Lights disc got old fast, but "Bodybag" is still my primary ringtone. It's just funny for it to go off while I'm teaching and have the kids go wtf?
02:15 PM on 12/21/06
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
So FBR gets a best label nod for knowing their tweeny target market?
03:56 PM on 12/21/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
I just wanted to say I love your taste in music and will definitely be checking out some of these bands. :)

Those are some beautiful words.
04:00 PM on 12/21/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

That was released in 2005.

It's still catchy as hell though.

Fuck, I thought I checked all of them. Oh well, I still like it.

Yeah bad call on the Anathallo "overrated". I have not seen Anathallo on many lists anyways. It is the most well-crafted album I've heard in years from an independent. But I appreciate your time to consider them.

I really worked on Floating World but it never fell into place. I haven't be able to figure out why everyone loves it, and I'm open to anyone who can explain this too me.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version