AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

We Came As Romans - 08.01.10

Interviewed by
We Came As Romans - 08.01.10Interview with Joshua Moore of We Came As Romans
----------------------------------------------------------------

First off, how have the first couple dates of the Scream It Like You Mean It tour been?

So far the Scream It Like You Mean It tour has been awesome. We've been hanging out with a lot with the other seven bands and the shows have been drawing a ton of kids :)

What are your feelings on the lineup?

It’s pretty diverse, given that the bands are all somewhat alike, but at the same time not at all...if that makes sense. Everyone on the tour, they're all great dudes and all of them deserve to be on a tour that's doing as well as this one. The kids seem to enjoy the diverse lineup of the tour as well.

I see after the SILYMI tour you have some shows overseas, is this your first tour out of the states and how excited are you for the tour?

I have been looking forward to this tour since before it was booked, since before we released a CD, since before we signed, etc. hahaha I have ALWAYS wanted to tour Europe and I am beyond excited for it.

Being from Michigan you have a pretty different scene, do you feel like it’s hard to make a name for yourself with bands like Chiodos already paving the way for heavier music from the area?

I think our music is pretty different from the style that Chiodos has taken, and I'm really happy with the progress we've made as a band in Michigan , going from local to national.

It will be a year in November since your latest album dropped. Have you been writing or recording any new material or are you still riding the songs off that release and the EP? If you have been recording new material when do you expect the public to hear some of it?

We have definitely been writing new material and I'm super stoked for everyone to hear it. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about the recording and releasing of new material, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised soon enough.

Do you think you will experiment with some new sounds in the future with your music as the band progresses?

I definitely think we will. Every band grows as they grow as people. Our music is a reflection of who we are as people, so as we change so will the music, little by little.

How did the signing with Equal Vision Records come about? The label seems to be going towards a heavier direction than in the past. Do you feel like that helped with the signing?

We had contacted them back in the summer of '08 and they asked us to get better recordings, so we recorded the Dreams EP and self-released that in September of 2008. In the first business week of the new year, our A&R contacted us, a week later he came and saw us, and then the contract was finalized and signed in late March 2009.

What is your opinion on the current state of music especially with bands making music similar to yours? Do you support this movement? Or do you feel that bands are jumping on the bandwagon to get a quick way into the music scene?

There are always going to be bands that rip off other bands, bands that lack creativity, and I'm not one to say that my band makes the absolutely most original music ever. What's going to make a band succeed is the heart, message, and drive they have, with a little bit of common sense about business.

What is one band that you think is overlooked in music right now?

I would say Our Last Night and This Or The Apocalypse, both just put out GREAT cds.

What can fans expect out of your live show, that they may not expect from just listening to your record?

We put a lot of energy into our live show. Kids pay for a performance, and we try to perform visually as well as musically.

What are some other things we can look forward to from the band in the future.

More touring and more music :)

Any last words?

Check out Our Last Night and This Or The Apocalypse's new CDs. The Word Alive has a CD coming out in August and A Bullet For Pretty Boy just finished recording and their CD is coming out relatively soon. These are all my buddies, so support them! :)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:04 AM on 08/18/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
There are always going to be bands that rip off other bands, bands that lack creativity, and I'm not one to say that my band makes the absolutely most original music ever. What's going to make a band succeed is the heart, message, and drive they have, with a little bit of common sense about business.

Never got into this band but I like this answer, it sums them up pretty well.
11:12 AM on 08/18/10
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
New song tuesday!
11:41 AM on 08/18/10
xfletchurx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they are still one of the worst bands i have ever seen live. They sound nothing like their record and it's pathetic really.
12:01 PM on 08/18/10
Ashur
Shitty musician.
User Info.
Good interview. Saw them recently and they DEFINITELY invest time into their live performance, it was pretty entertaining. Thanks for the interview!

EDIT: Good to hear they're humble as well, I'm glad they don't think of themselves as all too unique, and their message is really great as well.
12:10 PM on 08/18/10
killbrand.com
Ezekiel 36: 26-28
User Info.
they are still one of the worst bands i have ever seen live. They sound nothing like their record and it's pathetic really.
I disagree, but whatever.
12:17 PM on 08/18/10
Kyleisraddd
I win.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved the Dreams EP, and I was extremely excited to hear To Plant a Seed. I used to watch them play before they were signed, and they were one of my favorite local bands. I was really disappointed with TPAS, but it has grown on me like crazy! I love it now, but these days I really don't like seeing them live... funny how things change I suppose. I have never really been too fond of their clean vocalist. He is really hit or miss, and it's usually a miss.
12:28 PM on 08/18/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I loved the Dreams EP, and I was extremely excited to hear To Plant a Seed. I used to watch them play before they were signed, and they were one of my favorite local bands. I was really disappointed with TPAS, but it has grown on me like crazy! I love it now, but these days I really don't like seeing them live... funny how things change I suppose. I have never really been too fond of their clean vocalist. He is really hit or miss, and it's usually a miss.
Dislike the clean vocalist as well but the kids love it, rest of their stuff is pretty much the same going on right now but at least they have a message.
12:31 PM on 08/18/10
march-of-flames
Unregistered User
User Info.
Love them. Vocals don't sound the best live, but it's still definitely worth it to see them play.
12:34 PM on 08/18/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You must have gone on a bad night. I mean they're no August Burns Red when it comes to tightness and stage presence but it wasn't bad by any means. Especially their screamers vocals are awesome live (notsomuch on the cleans, oh well).
01:59 PM on 08/18/10
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Their screamer destroys it live. I don't know why anyone would bitch about him. It's cool though. I think this band is great at what they do and are full of potential. I am glad to see they have the right message. Their screamer was also the man when I met him briefly. Stoked on any new material they release.
02:05 PM on 08/18/10
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Their screamer destroys it live. I don't know why anyone would bitch about him. It's cool though. I think this band is great at what they do and are full of potential. I am glad to see they have the right message. Their screamer was also the man when I met him briefly. Stoked on any new material they release.
I really dig their screamer live as well, one of the best in the gerne, but for some reason I just can't get into the band as a whole, besides the not so great clean vox
02:08 PM on 08/18/10
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
nice dude
03:01 PM on 08/18/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really dig their screamer live as well, one of the best in the gerne, but for some reason I just can't get into the band as a whole, besides the not so great clean vox
I get that. I like their sound but at least on TPAS I can only listen to like 3 songs at a time because it gets a little monotonous. I'm hoping they can do better on the next release though
03:54 PM on 08/18/10
KatastrophiE
idiot savant
User Info.
i like their myspace layout...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT