AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
City Side Up - Don't Say A Word Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

City Side Up - Don't Say A Word

Reviewed by: alienantidote (08/19/10)
City Side Up - Don’t Say A Word
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 1st, 2009

Do you remember the days of Fall Out Boy’s Take This To Your Grave? Yeah, most people don’t anymore. City Side Up is dealing out a timeless formula of pop-punk and whoa-oh-oh’s akin to that of Fall Out Boy’s past in this four-track EP.

Don’t Say A Word gets off to a bit of a slow start with a 20-second instrumental intro on the track “Run:” “I’ll never fail to see that this is where I want to be.” The lyrics speak to running with whatever it is that makes you happy in life, regardless of anything else. Something about this song just seems to lack though, whether the speed’s coasting a little too far behind what it ought to be or the vocals are just not quite tuned so well to everything else.

Track two, “Cross Your Fingers”, has that definite Fall Out Boy feel to it. Perhaps it’s the odd resemblance of some opening chords to that of FOB’s “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down.” Whatever it is, I like it. City Side Up finally starts to hit the mark with this song, throwing in some All Time Low-ish “Whoa-oh Whoa-oh”s in for good measure.

“Times Like These” tugs the music down a notch or five. Though the song has a beautiful note behind it, the track seems to hold back the rest of the record and would maybe have been best reserved for a full-length CD. Clocking in at four and a half minutes, this rock-ballad detracts interest from Don’t Say A Word as a whole and leads my finger to the skip button on most listens.

Fortunately, the closing track “Finally Found” brings this EP back up to par. “Finally I found my way, through the darkness I won’t stay. Finally I found my way back home,” the infectious chorus hums circles through any listener’s ears. It is the quintessential pop-punk track through and through. The melody is catchy, the drums hit all the right breaks, and the guitar and bass intertwine in the perfect accompaniment. If you’re going to take one listen to this band, let this song be it.

City Side Up has it down. Someone give them a bit more than four songs to prove themselves because I guarantee this New York City trio has more than enough to offer if given the chance.

Recommended If You LikeFall Out Boy – Take This To Your Grave; Blink 182; All Time Low

myspace.com/citysideup

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums