AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Evolett - For Your Consideration Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 10
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Evolett - For Your Consideration

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (08/20/10)
EvolettFor Your Consideration
Record Label: End Sounds
Release Date: August 24, 2010

Admittedly, I had never heard of Evolett before I received their record with my Death in the Park advance. After spinning DITP about ten times the day/night I received it, I opted to listen to Evolett’s For You Consideration. Prior to listening, I read up on the band and discovered their name means “to bring life,” as they’re an uplifting band with a female vocalist, Haden Brightwell. I then saw that this debut record was produced by Andy Jackson (Hot Rod Circuit, Death in the Park, Terrible Things) as well as Mike Porman (Hot Rod Circuit, Therefore I Am); hence why it was sent to me with DITP.

Due to having a female vocalist in this scene, both Evolett and Brightwell will be compared to Paramore and Hayley Williams; furthermore, Flyleaf comparisons will most likely also arise within listeners. That said, I will be comparing neither the band nor vocalist to either of those other acts, as discussions over said parallels are simply not necessary. Evolett are a different band than either of those, despite tracks and pieces of For Your Consideration resembling both parties.

First off, there is no question that Haden Brightwell can sing; her vocals shine throughout the Flyleaf channeling gloomy “The Portrait” and “Hang On Every Word.” Musically, the band forms around her vocals, as the guitar tones and musicianship surround her vocals (“We All Fall Down”). Guitarists Tyler Gates and Jonathan Flurry shine on “The Compromise” as Brightwell sings with fervor and passion while bassist Russ Daly opens “Circles” with deep bass notes. Lyrically, most of the tracks discuss uplifting themes, prevalent on opener “Only Time” and mellow “Hold On.”

Low guitars create a somber feel for the intense “Silent Illusion” as Brightwell continues to sing with intricate emotion. Vocally driven “Genetic Makeup” and “Careful Where You Sleep” allow Haden’s vocals to stand out. With the former allowing all ears on Brightwell’s vocals and the latter combining every aspect of For Your Consideration with pristine instrumentation and singing as Brightwell sings “careful where you sleep / you’ll get the poison on your tongue”.

For only a debut album, it’s prevalent just how much talent each and every member of Evolett possesses. From the vocal control and range to the well-structured musicianship, each facet allows For Your Consideration to come together as a cohesive whole. Despite the excellent work of Gates, Flurry, Daly, and drummer Stephen Taunton, Haden Brightwell steals the show with her fantastic vocals. There’s no doubt that she’ll be able to stand at the top of her genre amongst other female vocalists. Indeed, Andy Jackson can do no wrong, as the production is spot on. For Your Consideration commands attention, and Evolett acquire fans ubiquitously with this release.

Recommended If You LikeFlyleaf; female fronted bands; Christian music; Paramore

Listen ToOnly Time; We All Fall Down; Careful Where You Sleep

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Only Time
2. This Compromise
3. The Portrait
4. Circles
5. We All Fall Down
6. Silent Illusion
7. Genetic Makeup
8. Hang On Every Word
9. Hold On
10. Careful Where You Sleep

Evolett are:
Haden Brightwell – Vocals
Tyler Gates – Guitar
Jonathan Flurry – Guitar
Russ Daly – Bass
Stephen Taunton – Drums

myspace.com/evolett/

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums