Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

POS + Astronautalis = Awesome

Posted by: Christian Wagner (08/21/10)
A new interview with Astronautalis discussing his project with POS among other things can be viewed here.

Submitted by cipp299

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
04:38 PM on 08/21/10
perceptrons
[ ]
User Info.
Great guy, really looking forward to anything new from him.
05:49 PM on 08/21/10
signal to noise
User Info.
his project with POS is finished?! WANT.
07:04 PM on 08/21/10
xashkox
i'm over getting older
User Info.
this is the first i've heard that their album is based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's work. Should be extra awesome... I can't wait for its release!
09:12 PM on 08/21/10
kaduck2007
User Info.
Interested in hearing the ep with POS. Sounds like an interesting concept.
08:28 AM on 08/22/10
signal to noise
User Info.
i forgot to mention how i dont think i agree with him talking about there being no difference between hip-hop and rap. and while he can say that all he wants, but he knows he wont be making any shitty radio albums anytime soon.
08:56 AM on 08/22/10
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Agree with the title. I'm excited to hear The Four Fists.
11:08 AM on 08/22/10
J.L.
User Info.
i forgot to mention how i dont think i agree with him talking about there being no difference between hip-hop and rap. and while he can say that all he wants, but he knows he wont be making any shitty radio albums anytime soon.
There's not really any difference between Rap and Hip Hop, when it comes to radio, that's more-so Pop than anything.
On the other hand, the thing about indie rappers not being any different than mainstream rappers, there's overlap sometimes and there's a bunch of shitty "indie" rappers that are just indie because they haven't gotten a big single, but then there's the other large percent of them, that actually appreciate the art. I've been to a big concert with Ludacris, B.O.B., Trey Songz, etc. and it was in a stadium....it was nowhere near the experience I had seeing Atmosphere and P.O.S. live in a more intimate setting (which Ironically, Astronautalis performed at), where they actually work with the audience and put on a real show, unlike rappers that just play the beat and run around yelling for a few minutes.

and I COMPLETELY disagree with the statement about the mainstream being more exciting/innovative right now. I mean, the rap alot > Def Jux statement...that was just sad. Rap A Lot's BEEN dead, all the while camu Tao was onto something ridiculous, El-P put out I'll Sleep when your Dead in 07 and it was so far ahead of anything in the mainstream, theyre STILL trying to catch up...
07:01 PM on 08/22/10
astronautalis
User Info.
this is, of course, a matter of personal taste to some degree...but there are some things i think people should understand about the history and context:

i made the same kinds of distinctions between "rap" & "hip hop" for years, i have been a rapper for 15 years, battled at scribble jam, toured for 7, and i made the same kinds of distinctions. that changed for me when i started to realize two things:
1. i LOVED pop gangster rap.
2. every indie rapper i loved, LOVED pop gangster rap too.

ask POS about Rich Boy. ask El-P why he was ripping off the atlanta "AYE!" on his last record. ask Sole about Young Jeezy. ask every rapper you love about Devin The Dude. I think you will be surprised by how big a role these rappers play in your favorite rapper's creative lives.

additionally, i think it is important to understand that a label like Rap-A-Lot was indie before it was cool to be indie, they made rap repping houston when no one was checking for houston. they said, fuck these people who don't appreciate us, and did it themselves...and shortly there after...changed the rap world as we know it. these guys were rap's fugazi...having grown up on both...i am being very serious about the comparison. look into Geto Boys, Scarface, Devin The Dude, ABN, etc...this is some really creative stuff, really amazing music. you need to look at the history of these people, and though they may not make songs you can associate with personally, that doesn't matter, because they didn't ever pretend to make songs for YOU...they make songs for THEIR people. If Scarface started making songs to market to white kids who post on the AP message board...then you could call him a sell out. instead, he makes music about his life, for people who connect with that life, without ever having any major pop success. ...still he makes records the way he wants, on his own label, for a small niche of supportive people. aesthetics aside, what is not to like about that?! there is really nothing more indie than that. There is, in fact, a whole world of independent music that most people on a board like this have no idea about: the southern indie gangster rap scene. these people hustle like punk bands and have heart like no other, but they are not on your radar because you run in a very different circle. go to Texas and see what Swisha House and Rap-A-Lot does. Look into E-40 in Cali. Hell, even the G-Unit/Shady/Aftermath licensing food chain is something that indie artists bite all day...because it is good business and it allows an artist the creative freedom they want. you may not personally like what they create, but that is not a point to argue here.

I think all too often, people buy into the indie dogma, when most of the time, really, "indie" is just a sales pitch. All your favorite indie labels make distro deals with major labels, or they make licensing deals with giant corporations, or both. they hire the same publicists, they spend gobs of money, how are they different? ...aside from them appealing to a different demographic. I don't fault them for this, i have, would, and will do this...as long it never stops me from making the weirdo music i dream to make. Once music became free via file sharing...this became the future of artistic integrity. i encourage everyone to visit this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...ution_Alliance and read up on how a huge chunk of your favorite "indie" labels are owned, in part, by warner/subpop. This isn't a unique business model, every major label has this structure established in some capacity. I don't think it is an evil thing, i DO think it is a failing/foolish thing, but not evil. The deeper i get into the business of music, the more i start to understand that is a not a black and white issue between good guys and bad guys, major label and indie. I am not trying to make everyone love Rich Boy as much as i do, but i am trying to make it clear to people on the outside that it is not cut and dry. I ain't trying to make this some coded message about me wanting to sign to a major...they are sinking ships captained by fools...but i do think it is important to not write off an artist because of the label they sign to or the fan base they have.

With that being said, I saw Modest Mouse in a shit hole club in Jacksonville the late 90s...i saw Against Me when they had barely left Gainesville...i have loved both bands since then, and it makes me sad that lots of people won't listen to their new records because they think they sold out. those people are missing out on some great records...different from their old stuff...but great. I mean, who wants a band to make the same record over and over again, anyway? oh yeah...pop music fans. which, for me, addresses a personal aesthetics issue i have with a lot of indie rap artists. i have been listening to Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, El-P, etc, for a very very very long time, and i eventually grew bored with much of their work as it lacked growth in my eyes. They moved me when i saw them all over 10 years ago...but now...aside from select high notes, their songs all start to sound the same to me. I don't want anyone to perceive this as "dis", just a criticism, they are all talented people...they just don't meet my expectations anymore. They made the music they wanted to make, for their own personal reasons, and for my own personal reasons, i got bored with that music and found an exciting new world emerging from the "killers and drug dealers" rap i had a previously abandoned when i heard "8 steps to perfection" on Premier's Haze Tape when i was 14.

Just because it is made by black dudes who like 808s and synths more than old funk breaks and sing about a neighborhood you wouldn't set foot in, doesn't make it a bad record, it certainly doesn't make it insincere. On the flip side, just because it is made by a white guy from the suburbs and packed full of abstract word association, doesn't make it better than everything else. The "Rap VS Hip Hop" argument comes off as naive and arrogant, it is always fragranced with subtle undertones of, "what i like is smart and what THEY like is dumb"...and it is generally never based on any actual real research. I grew up talking houses of shit about southern rap...then i actually listened to it and i found it to be more unique and heartfelt than most of the NYC boom bap i was into. It really upsets me when i see people write off music because of the person making it or the publicity push behind it...that is about as terrible as it gets. What really changed it for me was the argument i used to make against traditional rap, "these guys just talk about how rich and tough they are", when a friend said to me, "all the indie rappers you like just talk about how sad and fucked up they are". those are both HUGE generalizations...but not totally unfounded either. Additionally, to say that Rap-A-Lot has been dead, is totally absurd, especially when you compare it to DefJux...which is ACTUALLY dead and out of business...while Rap-A-Lot continues to succeed without any big radio hits and plenty of quality rap. we can argue taste all we want, that is silly, your taste is your taste and i would never try to sway that, however, there a lot of people out there making terrible rip offs of atmosphere and sage francis all to make a lot fans...meanwhile, there are a lot of people making very creative music who just so happen to HAVE a lot fans. i think that everyone should check out all of it and see what all the fuss is about...instead of writing it off because it isn't like what you normally like.

i fell in love with the american indie scene (both rap and rock) over 15 years ago because it was all about working and listening outside your comfort zone...sadly, that scene bred a terrible "us vs. them" mentality that i think is played up by lazy artists to sell records to uninformed fans. Meanwhile, those indie artists are all on their money grab reunion tours, charging ungodly sums at the merch booth and hiring teams of people to lobby to make their song the official song the xgames or axe body spray or whatever...in the same era kanye west (who's music annoys me more times than not) is sampling Daft Punk and flying Bon Iver out to work in the studio while Jay-Z is watching Grizzly Bear at Cochella. The walls between indie and mainstream are gone...long gone...and i would suggest you get down to getting over that self imposed bias and enjoy what is coming out of this brave new world. The playing field is only going to get more level...and eventually...an artist you love is going to end up working with an artist you hate. Let the record show: i would make a song with Trick Daddy or Yelawolf in a HEARTBEAT...but i would pass that up any day to work with Joanna Newsom or Bill Callahan.

In the end, i like what i like, and you like what you like. I make the weirdo historical fiction music i want to make, inspired by the art i like, and that is that...all i can say in conclusion is, don't like me just cause i don't sell many records and don't just write someone off because they went gold. When stef and i were making this record, we listened to gangster rap and indie rock almost non stop...i can't recall listening to a single indie rap record. Besides, If we all wrote off pop music, we would all have a big gap in the B section our record collections where Beatles & Bowie used to be.

i am sorry for any typos and grammar embarrassments...it is almost 4am and it is waaaay past my bedtime. i need to try and get some sleep in this Prague hostel/hep c factory...despite my manager/best friend snoring like a lumber mill less than 3 feet away from me. I am curious to hear all of your thoughts on this issue, i think it is important that i understand where you guys stand, and i encourage all of you to post your thoughts...afterall, you guys are the reason i get to work at this funny dirt bag dream job i have. all internet message board artistic debate aside...i am forever indebted to you for that.

thanks for giving a damn enough to read my interview and have the desire to post about it...it really does mean a lot to me.
now...and let the debate begin!
07:03 PM on 08/22/10
astronautalis
User Info.
whoa...that was long. whoops.
10:03 PM on 08/22/10
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
whoa...that was long. whoops.
yeah it was, but man did you say everything. you're a stand up cat, astro. real psyched for this record.

p.s. devin the dude for the fucking win
10:47 PM on 08/22/10
J.L.
User Info.
It's good to see an artist interact with listeners and I am a fan. Anyways...
I, personally, never said all major label artists with radio play were bad and all indie labels are good. Politics are politics and can corrupt even those with the best intentions (a la, many indie labels, like Epitaph, Road Runner, etc.) never did I say sub pop was still the pure-little-indie-label it was KIND OF was (My profile on here isn't very fleshed out since I'm not on here for much more than news anymore) Rhymesayers is one of my favorite labels and yea, they're distributed by Warner.

I grew up largely on artists like 2pac ,Brand Nubian, R.Kelly, Jay-Z etc. Some of my biggest influences starting out (I'm a musician/hip hop artist/rapper/producer/cyclist/whatever the labels are anymore, yea, it's whatever) were artists like Kanye West, Just Blaze, Jay-Z, etc. and they DO have an undeniable influence on "indie" rappers/producers (yes, I know, mainstream/indie/underground/hip hop/screamo/alternative jazz-metal-pop are all labels made to sell records), but I also COMPLETELY disagree with your statement that "indie/underground" rapper/artists/people are boring now, more than they were in say, 03. On the contrary, I'd say they're actually more creative now than ever (of course I'm not talking about that whole chunk of rappers like J.Cole, Big Sean, etc.) but theyre actually the reason why I'm getting a better outlook on music in 2010. Since the technology is so far ahead of what it used to be, there's so many more possibilities, so I believe there 's now excuse artists like Soulja Boy (generic example) gucci mane, plies, to come out and sounding like uninspired/generic replica's, and then be rewarded for that.

And yea, I prefer a smaller setting for a concert as opposed to a huge generic stadium setting, where it's less of an experience and more like anything I could just dial up on my tv.

I know, you like what you like and I like what I like , and I can respect that, what I don't respect is untalented artists getting shine, simply because they know the right people and people bandwagoning on a rapper/band JUST because they're told that the rapper/band is good.

I especially appreciate DIY done right.
Look at Fugazi, they put on shows and made sure everyone could get in by charging no more than $10. They sold their own merch, and made their own profit all while giving something special to the fans. Doomtree, Immortal Technique, etc.

I know you know that major labels are just big ass dinosaurs and what's going to survive is the smaller more agile of the species. It might take awhile, but what I think inevitably is going to happen in a few years is that music is going to boil down more to personal taste, than the "next big thing" that everyone can bandwagon on.

I agree that plenty of underground hip hop acts have stopped progressing in a really moving way (sorry Atmosphere, but growth is.... still love me some god's bathroom floor, and performance wise, it's theyre though), but Aesop Rock and El-P are still as enthralling as ever lyrically and with production, in my honest opinion, if you get bored with them, that's fine, but to denying the fact they are still moving forward is foolish. El-P swacked the "Aye!", I know it and enjoy it all he did was show that people like Young Jeezy and Justin Beiber (even him, he can actually play a bunch of instruments, then he just shits out bland overdone pop) can be great when there's some kind of creativity behind them.

I'll listen to anything once, if I don't find it creative/interesting/stimulating I drop it. Shit, I'd be a Nelly fan if he came out with something that kicked me in the face like Ride wit Me did way back when. But as far as I'm concerned, that's not the case in 2010.

Thanks for taking the time to spark conversation on things, though.

p.s. The Chronic , Doggystyle, Me Against The World, The B. Coming (By Beanie sigel, imo a VERY underrated album) all gangsta rap and all classics...all were also inovative in some way.
11:35 PM on 08/22/10
signal to noise
User Info.
shiiiitttttt. well. andy thank you for writing that wall of text. had it been someone that doesnt make good music i would have not even skimmed it, but for you my man, i gave your insight a good read. and i must say that ive been swayed. you sold me on that point about Modest Mouse and Against Me. the way you see no different between mainstream rap and indie rap is pretty much the same way that i see rock music, but i guess i never really made the comparison. like you said, Against Me's new records are still really good, but people dont give them the chance because they sold out or whatever. and i'd definitely be a liar to say that there isnt any mainstream rap i enjoy (you and i disagree on Kanye West here hahaha). basically i dont really have a counterpoint to argue with you on, i just appreciate the input you gave into your statement. its always cool to see artists posting on here, but i dont think very many take the time to write the essay you did hahaha.

thanks man!
12:49 AM on 08/23/10
astronautalis
User Info.
up a few hours later, gotta press on to Brno for our next show.
i don't have time to post a full response to anything, but what i would like to know is, who are the indie rap artists you like right now?

everyone. anyone. lisztomania...go!
05:17 AM on 08/23/10
J.L.
User Info.
El-P/The Weathermen, (I'd say camu tao, but RIP) Toki Wright, Brother Ali, P.O.S/Doomtree in general, Sage Francis, B. Dolan, You, Print (More pre "Chris Faust", though), Diamond District, Aesop, Cubbie Bear, CunninLynguists, Immortal Tech, Eyedeas and Abillities, Graysul, Darktime Sunshine (love this group), I Self Devine, Blu, Exile, MURS/Living Legends, Miami Beat Wave, Dead Prez, Proplyphic, Reanimator, Jean Grae, JMT, One Day as a Lion/Streetsweeper Social Club...there's more, but I have to get to class.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS