AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Never Shout Never - Harmony Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.08
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 4.13
Production 4.54
Creativity 3.88
Lasting Value 3.42
Reviewer Tilt 4.13
Average: 40%

Never Shout Never - Harmony

Reviewed by: xHoodieWeather (08/21/10)
Never Shout Never - Harmony
Record Label: Loveway Records
Release Date: August 24, 2010

Harmony was actually a release I was anticipating. It should be the album in which Christofer Drew perfected his catchy, cheesy, acoustic love songs that launched him to fame in 2008 with fan favorite bigcitydreams. Instead Harmony became the type of album that makes John Lennon's corpse turn in it's grave. It's the type of 'experimental' album that many bands go through. It provides a new sound, and sometimes it turns out great (see: Brand New's Deja Entendu, Panic! At The Disco's Pretty. Odd.), and sometimes, it turns out very bad (see: Hey Monday's Beneath It All EP). Drew's latest effort lies in a very fine line between the two.

Harmony shows that Drew is either a genius, or just plain crazy. Before even listening to the album, a good look at the album art and the contents can tell you that. The album art is either a brilliant spoof of himself, or a terrible self discovery. The fact that the album comes with seeds to 'make the world a beautiful place' does not help the older fan's disappointment. Drew is exaggerating, and by this point Harmony comes off as a forced attempt to be 'himself'. This search for himself is coming off as rushed and over-the-top.

The album starts out hopeful with the title track showing some lyrical maturity in Drew's work. The Lennon influences are present throughout the song with lyrics about peace, war, he, she, we, and any other possible Grammatical person. Tracks like "This Shiz Gets Old," "Piggy Bank," "Trampoline," and "I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know" add no real value to the album, as they get boring within a couple of listens. Lovesick, Cheatercheaterbestfriendeater, and The Lousy Truth are better, with traces of Drew's older work.

The true gems in this album come from songs like the cheesy "First Dance," a painfully cheesy song that has the feel of an overproduced version of Your Biggest Fan, or Shesgotstyle. "Sweet Perfection" also provides one of the albums more memorable moments with a fast, cheesy ode to a girl Drew met.

The album ends with the track "Sellout," which lyrically, may be Drew's best work by far. The song is the type of 'haters-gonna-hate' song that is long overdue for Drew. It touches the accusations made by the people that grew up and quit enjoying his music that he has sold out. The music isn't the best, as the instruments come of as distracting and unnecessary as this could have been done simply with an acoustic guitar (no need for the piano and the unorthodox instruments Drew experimented with). The layered vocals also hinder the track. The track stands out from the rest of the album with lyrics such as "Fuck This Scene" and "I know that I should be the last one to speak about this, but even sellouts have their dreams/Set The Music Free."

Harmony is produced by Butch Vig, and there is absolutely no complaints on how the instruments or Drew's vocals sound. The album was clearly well produced, and the only complaint about it is Drew's identity crisis.

"I got a feeling deep inside my soul, that's taken three whole years to gain control." is one of the last lines heard on Harmony, and it leaves you thinking: has Christofer Drew really discovered himself in these overproduced experimental tracks? The album will be good news for some, but a painful 27 minutes for others. It's a hit or miss album. If you enjoy Drew's past work, definitely check this release out and judge for yourself. If not, leave it alone, because it does nothing to attract new fans.

Standout TracksSellout, First Dance

Recommended If You LikeAcoustic Pop Songs; Never Shout Never; cheesy love songs

myspace.com/nevershoutnever

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
05:15 AM on 08/22/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Lennon*
06:42 AM on 08/22/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Scores too high for the review. Especially musicianship and lyrics.
08:24 AM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

thanks, it was late. Fixed.
12:19 PM on 08/22/10
SingMeInsomnia
Because I can.
User Info.
Lyrics and vocals were definitely too high. But then again, my biased opinion against his cutesy voice does influence my judgment.

Funny or not, the cover art is just hideous and ridiculous. I guess one word to sum up this album in general would be "cute."
12:25 PM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Lyrics and vocals were definitely too high. But then again, my biased opinion against his cutesy voice does influence my judgment.

Funny or not, the cover art is just hideous and ridiculous. I guess one word to sum up this album in general would be "cute."

the album art, either is ridiculous, or a genius joke. i honestly can't tell which. I Don't think anyone would put that as a serious album cover.

His voice delivers well, the kid can clearly sing, although his talking voice is just annoying. Going back to it, the lyrics are definitely a tad higher than should be, although in his category of acoustic songwriters, he's definitely ahead, lyric wise. Better than most scene artists at least.
01:17 PM on 08/22/10
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
When did you hear this? A little too high of a score, by the way.
I sort of want to hear this though, I loved What Is Love.
04:04 PM on 08/22/10
hi_mynameisdrew
myspace.com/backfoottrailer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Streaming the album right now, and I undoubtedly like it better than What Is Love or The Summer EP. Which is certainly good news!

"Identity crisis" pretty much sums up this kid, but this theme is much less apparent on this release than his last couple. This time around, he doesn't seem to try quite as hard, and seems to let his natural style flow through a little bit more - whereas on WIL?, he seemed to be trying as hard as he could to suppress the stylings that made him famous, and on The Summer EP, he seemed to be trying as hard as he could to play into the cheesy, over-the-top cutesy pitfalls of the stylings that made him famous. Often times on WIL?, I literally got the feeling he was trying to make his voice crack (need I even mention "Sacreligious"?), whereas on the Summer EP, I literally got the feeling he was trying to be the most adorable singer-songwriter with a side-swipe haircut possible (need I even mention "Happy"?). Things seem, although still not perfect, much more steady on Harmony.

Solid review, although "I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know" is actually one of my favorites on the album. Personal preference, I suppose. Good job regardless :)

PS - where in the world is "If You Go, Leave Your Key In The Mailbox"?? I was looking forward to that track more than any.
04:54 PM on 08/22/10
ChristianFuller
I Am As Guilty As Every One Of You
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Christopher Drew is a good musician, this just dosent really have the sound of a full on studio album
05:50 PM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
Streaming the album right now, and I undoubtedly like it better than What Is Love or The Summer EP. Which is certainly good news!

"Identity crisis" pretty much sums up this kid, but this theme is much less apparent on this release than his last couple. This time around, he doesn't seem to try quite as hard, and seems to let his natural style flow through a little bit more - whereas on WIL?, he seemed to be trying as hard as he could to suppress the stylings that made him famous, and on The Summer EP, he seemed to be trying as hard as he could to play into the cheesy, over-the-top cutesy pitfalls of the stylings that made him famous. Often times on WIL?, I literally got the feeling he was trying to make his voice crack (need I even mention "Sacreligious"?), whereas on the Summer EP, I literally got the feeling he was trying to be the most adorable singer-songwriter with a side-swipe haircut possible (need I even mention "Happy"?). Things seem, although still not perfect, much more steady on Harmony.

Solid review, although "I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know" is actually one of my favorites on the album. Personal preference, I suppose. Good job regardless :)

PS - where in the world is "If You Go, Leave Your Key In The Mailbox"?? I was looking forward to that track more than any.

That is true, this album is more constant, but it's still searching for who he is.

If You Go has been retitled 'Mailbox' and it's the Itunes bonus track.
05:51 PM on 08/22/10
xHoodieWeather
User Info.
When did you hear this? A little too high of a score, by the way.
I sort of want to hear this though, I loved What Is Love.

I heard a few promo streams the press managers sent out, and yesterday the last few tracks leaked, and today it started streaming on myspace.

if you liked WIL, check this out and judge by yourself, it's a hit or miss.
07:36 PM on 08/22/10
broaddplease
life is like a song
User Info.
Soooooooo was it cheesy?
08:23 PM on 08/22/10
believemedani
turned into your broken tragedy.
User Info.
This album was surprisingly enjoyable, for me anyways, and I'm definitely not a fan of Christofer Drew or any of his associated acts. All the gimmicks surrounding the album are just too much though; the album itself comes with a flower seed packet apparently, to promote the spread of beauty in the world. Dead serious, I can't make this up. The dude did a fairly decent job this time around though, save for a few of the tracks.
10:20 PM on 08/22/10
RadiantEyes
Between The Heart and The Synapse
User Info.
8.75 lyrics?
12:25 AM on 08/23/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Great review, I'll be damned if it isn't these kind of reviews that get me stoked on a record and make me want to spend my time checking it out.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests