AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Megan McCormick - Honest Words Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Megan McCormick - Honest Words

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (08/23/10)
Megan McCormick - Honest Words
Record Label: Rykodisc
Release Date: Aug. 17, 2010

Dear Musical God(s),
Thank you for Megan McCormick. How is it this precocious Tennessee native is still so far under the radar? How is it she has stayed so far from the limelight? If you have any power at all, please allow her the chance to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greats. Whether it was your divine grace or not, someone is responsible for her near-perfect debut disc. From the achingly tender ballads to the bristling blues jams, this girl can flat out play. Songs like "Oh My Love," and "Lonely Tonight," come along so rarely it feels criminal to see her continue to stay so far removed from the limelight.

Thank you for letting her jazz musician parents teach her the way around a guitar and a song and thank you for that performance scholarship she earned at East Tennessee State. Whether these are the reasons for her awe-inspiring talent or not, only you know, but one can't help but think they've played a part. Thank you for Dave O'Donnell's production guidance and for bringing his experience with John Mayer, James Taylor, Aaron Neville and Keb Mo' to the table. This might have been an entirely different record without his help.

Thank you for the sultry seduction of "Shiver," "Things Change," and "Driveway." Thank you for the poignancy and honesty of "Addiction," "Wasted," and "Pick Up the Phone." Is it true you have a hand in the Grammy Awards? If so, don't let 2015 get here without Megan having won one. Certainly you have your hands full with trying to get Amy Winehouse on the straight and narrow and teaching Kanye West humility, but if you have a few moments, Megan would love the assist. Maybe in the end, you could sway the hearts of music fans and allow them to fall head over heels for her.

With gratitude,
-Greg

Track Listing 1. Shiver
2. Things Change
3. Do Right
4. Wreck
5. Oh My Love
6. Driveway
7. Drifting
8. Lonely Tonight
9. Addiction
10. Wasted
11. Pick Up the Phone
12. Honest Words

Recommended If You Like Bonnie Raitt, Tracy Chapman, Lucinda Williams, Michelle N'dege Ocello

Find Her Here Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:05 AM on 08/23/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Checked her out on myspace and she's awesome possum!
09:01 PM on 08/23/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
Not my typical cup but I like this. Her voice especially draws me in.
12:42 PM on 08/24/10
kruz1023
duh
User Info.
I am very impressed. Thanks for opening my eyes to a great talent.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests