Password

Album Review

Danger Is My Middle Name - Giant Killer EP Album Cover

Danger Is My Middle Name - Giant Killer EP

Reviewed by
Danger Is My Middle Name - Giant Killer EP
Record Label - Unsigned
Release Date: August 10th, 2010

Everybody has that loose relation with somebody or something. ‘I’m sixth cousins with Ben Franklin! No, honestly!.’ ‘My step-cousin took a picture with the guy that built the first Arby’s. I know, right?!’ This is exactly how I am with the band Danger Is My Middle Name. My best friend’s brother-in-law’s best friend’s brother is the singer. Beat that. It’s a sick brag, I’m aware, but it’s not the reason I’m doing this review.

Two EP’s in, and Danger Is My Middle Name was doing their best to survive in a diluted genre. Were they original? By no means, but they were better than a good amount of bands doing the exact same thing. Their first two EP’s were very well written and did their best to break away from the ever-drying cement of pop-punk. Rumors of a breakup began to surface soon after announcing a third EP, however, and it seemed it never would see the light of day. Those rumors were soon falsified, and all the ‘was’s’ turned back to ‘is’s,’ and the ‘were’s’ to ‘are’s.’

I won’t lie, though; after one listen, my first few thoughts of this EP were less than stellar. This album had everything that…well, every other mediocre pop-punk album in the last few years has had. Whether it’s the gang vocals, cheeseball lyrics, or simple and repetitive musical progressions, this album does very well at not standing out.

The album’s opener, ‘Armed And Dangerous’ starts out with a guitar riff that we’re all sure we’ve heard before we just can’t remember where. Speaking metaphorically about singer Gabe Atkins as something, you guessed it, armed and dangerous (probably a time bomb, original), this song fades quickly into the background. ‘Here we go, again/here we go, baby. I don’t need a friend/I need an enemy,’ Atkins croons at the end of the second chorus of the second song ‘Here We Go,’ continuing the lyrical regression many fans (myself included) never hoped would affect this band.

Don’t let major lack of substance turn you away from a fun angst-y summer EP, though; I never do. While none of these songs may make you question your existence here, they will possibly stir up frustrating thoughts about your girlfriend for dancing a little too close to some other guy, or your parents for unnecessarily grounding you (if either of those scenarios apply) while you drive down I-___ (insert freeway here) singing along to every word.

There’s a very good chance this EP doesn’t hold the attention of its listeners far past this summer. It does nothing to set itself apart, the way its two predecessors did, so dance and party to it while you remember it exists. I still have hope in the group, though, and I’m doing what I can to convince myself this is just a small misstep in a career that doesn’t even have a full-length in it yet. All in all, a giant killer Giant Killer is not, but Danger Is My Middle Name can still do some damage.

Track Listing 1. Armed And Dangerous - 2:43
2. Here We Go - 3:17
3. Nightmare - 2:42
4. Seeing Stars - 3:20
5. Here We Go (Bonus Remix) - 2:57
6. Revenge On The Radio (Acoustic Remix) - 3:52

RIYL Pop Punk; Punk Pop; Genericism; Pop Punk that could easily be better but the potential isn't reached
This review is a user submitted review from Cody Nelson. You can see all of Cody Nelson's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:51 PM on 08/30/10
cshadows2887
User Info.
"the drying cement of pop-punk"

Really nice turn of phrase. Thumbs up.
06:26 AM on 09/05/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
I'll always know them as the guys who did the theme song for FiveAwesomeGuys. Ah well, I like them anyhow.
01:39 PM on 09/05/10
unicornurine
User Info.
I really like these guys. Pretty solid release right here, too.
02:59 PM on 09/05/10
i_am_near_main
User Info.
I'll always know them as the guys who did the theme song for FiveAwesomeGuys. Ah well, I like them anyhow.
this is the only reason why I ever started listening to them lol

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this new EP... love all their other stuff though. Hopefully this does not disappoint
03:59 PM on 09/05/10
erinyvonne
Project LocalMusicLive
User Info.
"My best friend’s brother-in-law’s best friend’s brother is the singer. Beat that. It’s a sick brag,"
I assuming this is a joke.

Love these boys. had a chance to hang out with them in NYC when they played with a bunch of my friends. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the new stuff but I'm going to now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos