AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bad City - Welcome to the Wasteland Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.3
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 6.8
Production 8
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.65
Reviewer Tilt 7.05
Average: 74%

Bad City - Welcome to the Wasteland

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (08/24/10)
Bad City Welcome to the Wasteland
Release Date: August 23rd, 2010
Record Label: Atlantic Records

It was February of 2010 when the ultimate musical blue balls occurred. Powerspace decided to call it quits. Even though I was less than impressed with their debut full-length, I still adored their EP, Houston, We Have a Party back in 2006. I rocked it all throughout 8th grade. When I heard new songs that were played live and a change of direction from dance-pop to hard rock for their follow-up, I was eagerly awaiting the new record. Titled American Machine, it became one of my most anticipated albums, even after constant delays. But alas, with the announcement of the break-up, it meant there would be no American Machine. Sad face.

Turns out, Powerspace wouldn't technically go anywhere. Months later, Bad City formed which included all members of Powerspace with the exception of vocalist Alec Cyganowski. It was nice to know that they had a new project going but part of me (okay, all of me) was still bitter that I'd never get to hear the album I waited so anxiously for. This was prior to realizing that Bad City's full-length, Welcome to the Wasteland, essentially WAS American Machine, as this is what it probably would have sounded like. Most of the songs on the album were even written as Powerspace songs. I ended up coming to terms with them breaking up when I finally heard Welcome to the Wasteland. It was clear that ending Powerspace was the best thing they could have done.

Though I was of a fan of Cyganowski's high pitched vocals in Powerspace, it didn't seem like they would have translated well into the material that would become Bad City. Luckily they managed to enlist Thee Armada vocalist Josh Caddy, who ends up complementing Bad City's musicianship relatively well. Guitarist Tom Schleiter is easily one of the most talented in the scene. It was evident on Powerspace's The Kicks of Passion, but Welcome to the Wasteland allows him to truly shine. Some songs even give off a Smashing Pumpkins-esque vibe. A lot of credit however needs to go to producer Johnny K (Plain White T's, Disturbed, Sevendust). His spot on production makes the record sound absolutely massive with every riff and hook. "Showdown in Central Park" opens the album and immediately shows what Bad City is all about - soaring choruses, electrifying melodies, and songs made to blow out the speakers of arenas. Even with the ballad "Fire in the Pouring Rain", no intensity is lost. Welcome to the Wasteland finally reaches its boiling point on "Look Out!", a ferocious number with a hard-hitting hook that's bound to become a fan favorite live.

It becomes more apparent with each listen of just exactly why Bad City exists and Powerspace doesn't. Even though the reason may not be because the two seperate sounds couldn't co-exist under one name, it doesn't erase the fact that, because of Bad City, the slate is clean. They're no longer tied to a name that made music catering to a younger crowd, or a label which had bands that teenage girls wrote creepy fanfiction about. Instead they've crafted an album for all ages - something I can oddly even see my dad rocking out to. Although the Powerspace era may have ended along with my 13 year old self, the Bad City era begins along with my sudden new adulthood. Change isn't a bad thing.

Buy ItAmazon - Amazon MP3

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Showdown In Central Park
02) Take Me for a Ride
03) Do You Believe In Rock n Roll
04) Wildlife
05) Fire In the Pouring Rain
06) Call Paul Stanley
07) Heatwave
08) Look Out!
09) Touch
10) Straight to the Grave
Produced by: Johnny K
Clear-cuts: Don't Stop (iTunes/Amazon Bonus Track), Look Out!

Bad City is:
Josh Caddy - vocals
Tom Schleiter - guitarist
Max Perenchio - guitarist
Jake Serek - bassist
Kevin Kane - drummer

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
06:05 PM on 08/24/10
cwhit412
User Info.
This album seems boring to me. I hate the vocals in this, mostly cause I loved Thee Armada, and he changed the vocals around a lot.
But whatever. maybe i'll give it another listen. maybe.
07:30 PM on 08/24/10
ChinsesDog
User Info.
Great Review! so happy for the guys. it's been a long time coming.
09:07 PM on 08/24/10
allanmil
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best release of the summer, I can't stop listening to this cd.
09:10 PM on 08/24/10
Knifeovich
We are the music makers...
User Info.
Hey I just went and bought this album based on your review! Considering I had never even heard of these guys you should take that as a compliment about your writing! Great review!
10:42 PM on 08/24/10
HometownHero
User Info.
I thought this was awful. Miss Powerspace, miss Thee Armada. This actually is embarrassing to their former bands. Great write up though, and to each their own.
10:59 PM on 08/24/10
brokencyde
I regret making this my username...
User Info.
Great Album, I'm still wondering what happened with Alec though
01:13 AM on 08/25/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
to me, a new band formed with all of the members except you would be a slap in the face? idk
03:12 AM on 08/25/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Totally agreed with the review.
04:42 AM on 08/25/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good review. Need to hear this, love me some good ol rock and roll.
05:02 AM on 08/25/10
sigger53
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review Joe, and fantastic album!

The fact is, Tom Schleiter and Kevin Kane are the only band members remaining from The Kicks of Passion. Adding Jake, Max, and Josh completely changed the sound and the band. Bad City not only has produced the most powerful music I've heard in years, but their live shows are fantastic, and perfectly complement the album! I liked Powerspace, but this isn't Powerspace.

Welcome to the Wasteland.
05:34 AM on 08/25/10
wheresadalia
breathe slowly, speak softly
User Info.
this album is fantastic, and as much as i loved alec and his voice, idk if it would have worked as well for their new sound. i think josh pulls it off better, but i guess we'll never know. i would really like to know what alec is up to these days though.
and lol at the link to my video. i haven't watched that in so long, brings back memories. i fucking loved that tour
10:22 AM on 08/25/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
love your last paragraph. nice review joester
12:52 PM on 08/25/10
hello299
User Info.
I still enjoy Powerspace from time to time, but I can't get into Bad City at all.
01:10 PM on 08/25/10
TopperHarley
User Info.
Def Leppard. Awesome summer jams.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles