AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sparta - 11.15.2006

Interviewed by
Sparta - 11.15.2006From Jim Ward, lead singer of Sparta:

How is everyone doing now that the album has finally been released?

Everyone is great. Thanks.

What sets Threes apart from Porcelain and Wiretap Scars, musically and influentially.

I think that the time we took to construct it led to a greater depth.

Is there anything the band has set to accomplish with Threes?

I would like for things to grow and evolve.

Since the infamous tear that made At The Drive In separate entities, how does the band deal with continuous comparisons and contrasts to your former band mates?

Try to ignore as much as possible.

Does this effect the way you approach the music for your fans?

No, I write what I write. I could never assume what people want, even if I could it would be horrible to play something you created for other reasons other than your own.

If they had to describe the new album in one word, what would it be?

Pathways.

How has the addition of Keeley Davis and the departure of Paul Hinojos changed the band and how did it feel to have Paul leave Sparta for the Mars Volta?

Keeley is a great person and an amazing musician. I have learned a lot from him and we write really well together. I think our band is better than it has ever been, line-ups change in bands sometimes. You just hope you grow, and I think we did.

While writing for Threes, what albums were in heavy rotation?

I like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's last record. I listened to it a lot while I worked, and Z from My Morning Jacket—old Americana stuff too.

What's your favorite song on Threes?

“The Most Vicious Crime”

Of Wiretap Scars and Porcelain, which song is the worst?

Couldn’t
tell you, every song means something to someone so I don’t see it that way.

Unlimited budget, dead or alive, name your dream tour.

Beatles, Radiohead, U2

What does "P.O.M.E." mean?

Paris of the Middle East, it refers to Beruit.

Jim, where do you draw your lyrical inspiration from? Do you have an agenda or message that you want to express before the songs are even written?

Some lyrics are from life experiences, some are fiction, I don’t have a specific agenda, no.

When asked about a possible At The Drive In reunion, what do you normally say to press and what is the actually possibility of that?

No chance, ever.

Are we reading into it too much, but why is there record called Threes? And could you explain the artwork, meaning and artist?

Threes is a reference to the number 3 being important in my life. A lot of intersections happen involving that number, this record was a big changing point for me. The artwork is left to be interpreted by the viewer, you get a lot of interesting ideas form folks, I like it.

And finally, what is your favorite film about Gladiators or ancient roman combat?

Don’t know, you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
12:57 PM on 11/15/06
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm glad that you asked a lot of my questions but it seems like this interview was just really brief. Nothing really came out of it. Cool "P.O.M.E." trivia though. Sparta is awesome and Threes is a top 5 CD of the year for 2006.
01:06 PM on 11/15/06
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
fuck, no ATDI reunion ever? that sucks
01:09 PM on 11/15/06
AmericanZen
Scene like Al Roker
User Info.
that was short
01:19 PM on 11/15/06
rpf0617
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These questions were pretty lame. Sort of a waste of what could've been a good interview.
01:31 PM on 11/15/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
These questions were pretty lame. Sort of a waste of what could've been a good interview.

Truth.
01:38 PM on 11/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
might have been an email interview. it's hard to get people to expand on their answers when they're essentially filling out a survey.
01:43 PM on 11/15/06
meekers
has been here longer than you
User Info.
Email interview or not, if you are that proud about something you've spent time on creating, you should be more than thankful that you and your new album are getting press. Undoubtedly, being asked the same questions over and over again (addition of keely davis, ATID questions) wouldnt make me excited to answer questions, but he just sounds like a pretentious asshole in this interview.
01:46 PM on 11/15/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I do not think it has anything to do with the questions. Obviously, the band does not give half a shit to put an ounce of effort into their responses. Get real.
01:46 PM on 11/15/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Email interview or not, if you are that proud about something you've spent time on creating, you should be more than thankful that you and your new album are getting press. Undoubtedly, being asked the same questions over and over again (addition of keely davis, ATID questions) wouldnt make me excited to answer questions, but he just sounds like a pretentious asshole in this interview.
Agreed. Don't know why they even agreed to do this.
01:53 PM on 11/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Agreed. Don't know why they even agreed to do this.
Let's not sour our relationships with bands and make us look ungrateful, eh?
01:55 PM on 11/15/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this guy seemed pretty lame.
01:57 PM on 11/15/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Let's not sour our relationships with bands and make us look ungrateful, eh?
Meh, I'll say what I want about this. It is kind of insulting to spend 5 minutes on an email interview. I'm not sure this is doing anything "good" for our site, and really, it makes the band look bad obviously.
02:04 PM on 11/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Meh, I'll say what I want about this. It is kind of insulting to spend 5 minutes on an email interview. I'm not sure this is doing anything "good" for our site, and really, it makes the band look bad obviously.
I choose the "I'm thankful for the interview and some information about the band" route instead of shit-talking them for not writing 2 paragraphs for each answer. I'd take this interview over nothing at all.
02:10 PM on 11/15/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I choose the "I'm thankful for the interview and some information about the band" route instead of shit-talking them for not writing 2 paragraphs for each answer. I'd take this interview over nothing at all.
Well, I guess that is where we would differ. I would choose nothing at all. To each his own.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos