Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (08/29/10)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (08/29/10)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
09:25 AM on 08/29/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Chad, Frank and Melissa for putting together.

Technology Round-UpApple

The co-founder of Microsoft, Paul Allen, is suing Apple for copyright infringement.

An Apple manager has been charged with taking $150,000 in kickbacks which he hid in shoeboxes.

Apple may improve video capture quality by utilizing sensor data that adjusts the recording using the location and temperature.

Apple says that Einstein and Lennon would have used Macs.

Apple has released a new firmware update for mid-year 2010 Macbook Pros that fixes freezing problems.

A Chinese case manufacture has shown off pictures of the fourth-generation iPod touch and sixth-generation iPod nano cases. Rumor has it that the new iPod nano might be officially introduced next week, as Apple has sent out invites for a "special event" on September 1.

China Unicom will include a free case with every iPhone 4 when it launches in September.

A new version of iTunes will be released next week, but it won't contain streaming across the web.

Even Steve Jobs doesn't have faith in the Apple TV, though the company is working hard to secure 99 cent TV show rentals.

Approximately 26% of "mobile workers" (the term is defined in the article) plan to get an iPad.

Internet

Zero-View shows the best videos from YouTube - the ones with zero views! Seriously entertaining stuff.

YouTube now offers some free, full-length movies.

New technology, EmoRate, uses a wireless headset and facial recognition software to determine how videos make you feel. It's currently being used to index and actually search for videos just by facial expressions.

Facebook competitor Diaspora will launch on September 15th.

Facebook chat will no longer be supported on Internet Explorer 6. It will stop on September 15, the day that the first IE9 beta will be released.

First, Facebook wants to trademark the suffix "book", which it claims Teachbook, a little-known networking site for teachers, is violating. Now Mark Zuckerberg wants to register "Face" also. This could be an issue, since Apple owns the trademark for Facetime.

Chatroulette has been down since last Monday. What do you think the cryptic message on the site means?

Hulu Plus only has 14% more content than Hulu.

The web's top 300,000 sites' favicons are sized proportional to their amount of traffic. AP made the list!

Google

Due to the lawsuit from Oracle over the use of Java in Android, Google has backed out of the upcoming JavaOne conference.

Google introduces Google Beat, a YouTube channel to showcase the most popular searches of the week.

Google has purchased Angstro, a company that finds accurate information about people you know, and not people with similar names. To see all previous acquisitions Google has made, check out this inforgraphic.

Gmail now allows calls to be placed to actual phones, not just computers, but only in the US and Canada. Even though Gmail calling appears to be a competitor to Skype, Google is actually using it as competition for Facebook. Both services integrate communication with pre-existing contacts.

Orkut, Google's social networking site that's popular in India and Brazil, got a major update this week to allow users to create friend groups and post different content per group.

Google image searches now offer an option to see more sizes of the same image.

Electronics

LG's new wardrobe cleans and sterilizes your clothing vertically.

LG is putting into production two flexible e-paper displays, a 7.9 in color display and 19 in black and white display. No word yet on what they will be used for.

New battery prototypes run by breaking down sugars and fats, just like the human body.

This waterproof bluetooth headset is perfect for listening to music, making business calls, and chatting with friends all while underwater.

Mitsubishi has released three HD 3D TVs, a 40 in, 46 in, and 55 in. Meanwhile, Toshiba is working on some glasses-free 3D TVs.

Kodak is releasing a new 14 megapixel camera with a share button to quickly upload photos and videos to Facebook, Flikr, and YouTube. Unfortunately, Twitter uploads will not be supported.

Mobile

There will be no solution to the BlackBerry censoring issue in India.

The Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 launch will cost more than half a billion dollars.

USA Today will be more optimized for tablets, smartphones, and other mobile platforms.[/font]

Engadget has reviewed the Sony Ericcson Xperia X10 for AT&T.

Pictures of an unidentified new HTC device have leaked.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab will have a HDMI dock, leather case, and many other accessories.

Fennec, Firefox for mobile phones, is now in its alpha stages for Android and Nokia N900.

Verizon confirmed the Android 2.2 update for Droid Incredible.

Computer

A professor at the University of Pennsylvania has developed software to predict criminal behavior. Minority Report much?

If anyone is in the market for a new computer, you might want to hold off until the fall for some serious deals.

The Blackberry BlackPad will run QNX rather than the Blackberry 6 OS.

HardOCP has investigated if there is any performance difference between x16/x16 and x4/x4 SLI PCIe performance.

AMD now has a separate mobile architecture called Bobcat. Check out the performance in previews of Bobcat and Bulldozer.

Tips/Tricks

Check out the top 10 things to do with a spare external hard drive.

Kaplan is giving away free study ebooks for the ACT, SAT, etc. for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad users.

Check out eight ways to take advantage of free calls in Gmail.

Learn how to tell if your boss is lying to you.

Learn how to make glowsticks.

If money is a little tight, BillFloat can help you get you through the month.

Learn whether travel by flight, bus, or car by cost alone.

Compare the libraries of Hulu, Hulu Plus, and Netflix.

TimeComX can perform computer actions based on different conditions.

Chrome users can keep the browser open after closing the last tab with the Last Tab Standing extension.

Change the default "save as" location in Windows 7.

Overclock or underclock your Android phone using SetCPU.

Grab album art for your Android phone's music library with Album Art Grabber.

Toggle automatic phone rotation quickly with AutoRotate.

Miscellaneous

4chan exposed a woman who put her cat in a trash bin for 15 hours. The web attacked her and she is now in hiding.

Kokoro has unveiled its latest fembot Actroid F.

Boeing is developing a resuable spacecraft to replace the retiring fleet of space shuttles. Take a look inside the simulator.

Nike Air Max's have been infused with Wii Balance Board controls.

Check out this Pikachu Nintendo DSi charger.

Chemists believe that we can pull electricity from air.

Frog cells have given an artificial nose more sensitivity.

--
Contributors: klawansie7, Sarcasm, CyberInferno
10:17 AM on 08/29/10
Crowe41
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.
User Info.
Lots of good stuff on here. Thanks guys.
10:33 AM on 08/29/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
There's never any real information on the H OCP sites that are linked here...or am I missing something? I see a random statement with no citations, which stinks because the topics seem really interesting.
Good choice of articles, thanks!
11:12 AM on 08/29/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Lots of good stuff on here. Thanks guys.
There's never any real information on the H OCP sites that are linked here...or am I missing something? I see a random statement with no citations, which stinks because the topics seem really interesting.
Good choice of articles, thanks!
Thanks for the comments!

With regard to the HardOCP articles, click the link(s) in HardOCP summary paragraph(s) to get the full source. For instance, on the "[a] professor at the University of Pennsylvania has developed software to predict criminal behavior" article, the words "this will work" in the summary are the link to the original article.

I'm not the biggest fan of the way HardOCP cites their sources either, but I consider it to be more journalistically ethical to link to their site rather than directly to the article since I found the article using HardOCP's RSS feed. The other way to do it would be to link directly to the article then include something like "[via HardOCP]", but that would make the round-up much, much messier
11:19 AM on 08/29/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Quote:
4chan exposed a woman who put her cat in a trash bin for 15 hours. The web attacked her and she is now in hiding.

seems as if 4chan is quick to protect the stock image models for their lolcats
12:28 PM on 08/29/10
Mandee, darling
stay useless.
User Info.
Am I the only person that can't view lifehacker? It seems like it's been down for days, and most of the articles I'm interested in are from that site.
12:43 PM on 08/29/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Am I the only person that can't view lifehacker? It seems like it's been down for days, and most of the articles I'm interested in are from that site.

Still up for me. If you're more interested in pure technology though, read Gizmodo. They're from the same distributor, but Lifehacker is basically more about applications of technology from Gizmodo.
12:44 PM on 08/29/10
Mandee, darling
stay useless.
User Info.
Still up for me. If you're more interested in pure technology though, read Gizmodo. They're from the same distributor, but Lifehacker is basically more about applications of technology from Gizmodo.
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks!

edit: apparently gizmodo isn't working either.
12:47 PM on 08/29/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.

That's weird. Both are up for me.
12:50 PM on 08/29/10
Mandee, darling
stay useless.
User Info.
Yeah, it shows that it's loading, but never goes to the site, or any site for that matter. Oh well, I guess I'll catch up on it all later.
12:52 PM on 08/29/10
EROW
Registered Listener
User Info.
soon enough, Facebook wont allow 2 syllable networking sites that rhyme with Facebook either...
02:29 PM on 08/29/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Or to put it in Technology Round-up terms, Lifehacker applies to the Tips/Tricks section and Gizmodo applies to pretty much everything else
Same here

Any time you're having problems with loading a website, downforeveryoneorjustme.com is a great site to check.
02:31 PM on 08/29/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.

Any time you're having problems with loading a website, downforeveryoneorjustme.com is a great site to check.
Never gotten anything other than Just Me before.
02:45 PM on 08/29/10
Mandee, darling
stay useless.
User Info.

And it's just me. both of them. Cool.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums