AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 104
03:54 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
did victory pay you to write a good review?
Haha, check back a few posts and someone already tried to pull that. No, they did not. You can come over to my house and check my latest bills, I still owe 1 grand to Bank of America.
03:55 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Thanks to everyone for reading this, I will reply back later. I am going to go watch a movie and drink 40's. byes.
05:47 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
wow... one of the worst reviews i've ever read.... such a horrible album.. avoid at all costs
You thought it was a bad review as in my writing sucks? Or the fact that I gave them a good score?
05:49 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
the most frustrating part of this entire ordeal is that all of the reviews are either making this album sound like the biggest pile of shit on the planet or their sucking it's monster-sized whale penis...

where's the honesty? who really listened to the album? who's buddy-buddy with the band and who has some un-needed grudge against them?

i think these are the factors that are important when we're reading these reviews. the plain truth about this album is that even though there are some good points all in all it's very dissapointing. For anyone who knows anything about this band they would be just as disgusted as the rest of us by just the overall terrible sound of this record. Not that the songwriting is entirely bad...but the record sonically just sounds like shit. On their EP they had the songs 'The Ordinary Life' and 'Let's Call It A Night' (which is now re-titled 'Baby, You're My Bad Habit)...they re-did these songs and it's truly a shame that these new versions are the ways that these songs will be remembered. They just sound washed out and dull. Whoever mixed and mastered this thing must've been really forced to finish it quickly as it's clear that it is very poorly done. Anyone with an ear can agree with that. The instruments lack everything needed in a screamo/metal record...or whatever you want to call this thing.

and as far as the underoath comparisons...if you really want to say that they're not blatantly ripping off that band then take a second, put on this record to the 2nd track, and try to tell me that the breakdown at the end isn't an almost exact replica of the intro to UO's 'in reguards to myself'...the heavy off beat low-note riff into a high dissinant chord thing is almost identical. not saying that UO is the first band in history to write something like this...or even that FLL is the first band to mirror the style of another band...but this shit is just crossing the line between influence and out-right fucking musical plagiarism (if there is a thing...).

"let's just take the same riff, move it up a half-step, change a beat or two, and call it our own."

I say listen to the damn thing and make your own opinion...but for anyone to sit and say that this album is refreshing or anything is just bullshit. I've been a supporter of this band for a very long time...i loved the ep...but i hate this record.
I am confused, you really didn't think I listened to this band? You can ask them what I first said to their street teamers when they spammed the shit out of my e-mail trying to get them on Absolutely Unsigned. You have to be kidding if you think I have some sort of "bias." Ya, they talked to me everyonce in a while but it's not like I grew up with them or anything. Honestly, who cares anyways if I did have a bias. If I didn't like the band, I would have no problem telling them that. However, I do like the band, hence the reason I gave them a good review.
05:50 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Dude shuttup you list saves the day as one of your fav albums. Go dye your hair pink, this cd is beter than anything those douchebags have done.
Saves The Day is a great band, haha.. hmm, ya.
05:52 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I was given the new Victory sampler at the World Championship Tour, but I had the misfortune of listening to it on the way home. While Four Letter Lie is the best of the bunch, that's saying absolutely nothing. I'm a huge fan of so many different bands in the scene, and I will give credit when credit is due. But EVERY new band Victory is putting out is essentially a joke, and its sickening.
I can't sit here and say every band I listen to is revolutionary, but I wish they would try something even a little bit different. And if its not going to be different, at least make some effort to do it better! Make it mean something... basically if you want to play screamo, play it well, don't just go through the motions.
I just don't feel anything with this band, and they just don't deserve a good review IMO.
Everything that Victory is putting out is a joke? I don't fully agree but let's just wait, most of their roster is finished with releases and if you look back enough, you can find some INCREDIBLE albums. Maybe in the next year or so some of their stronger roster will put something out, but who know.

It is a shame, I feel like you guys aren't giving the label the benefit of the doubt. You simply fail to look past anything ya know about the label and don't give their bands a chance. Have you taken a listen to Moros Eros? Really interesting stuff.
05:53 PM on 11/18/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
my opinion: i love the album, i love the band, and can overlook the fact that the newly recorded versions of "ordinary life" and "let's call it a night" sound rather no. i've seen a million more screamo/melodic hardcore/ whatever you want to call them bands that are WAY more generic than these guys. atleast they do use some technique in their riffs, and aren't heavily repetitive. basically, for some reason or another, the album hits me in a spot and i absolutely love it, generic, cookie cutter or not, i don't give a fuck. they did a great album in my opinion and i enjoy it.
Exactly, it is enjoyable stuff.
06:50 PM on 11/18/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Maybe you suck at english but if you're saying true punks like fob, kill yourself.

No not really, the statement was pretty clear that I was saying that the reviews mix fans of fall out boy with true punks/metalheads/scenesters. As in it contains all of those groups, I clearly never said true punks jam to FOB.

Quote:
you seem to have problem with the fact that this reviewer stood so staunchly for four letter lie that he was being bias. right now you seem to be standing so staunchly for ap reviewers that i think you're being bias. standing by a shitty commercial-drive publication that true punks wouldn't dare work for, or standing by a cd that you actually enjoyed listening to even though it isn't the best or most original thing you've ever heard? i'll take the latter please.

Well Brian is actually a punknews reviewer, he just contributes to AP. And I don't stand for AP reviewers, but rather just realize why the scores are all over and they contradict theirselves in every single issue. And this album isn't that good, I listened to it and wrote down a review of it before I even read Brian's review. So...

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for reading this, I will reply back later. I am going to go watch a movie

It better either be Borat or the Bond movie. Borat is so offensive it's hillarious. And everyone's suing him now and the one woman got fired cause of it, it's just freaking priceless. The new Bond movie was good, minus the 15 minute lifetime-ish soap opera towards the end.
08:31 PM on 11/18/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
so i gave this a listen and didnt enjoy it very much. To each his own though, you did your job and got me to try. oh well.
08:57 PM on 11/18/06
Beyondclarity
User Info.
I just want to note how cool the Minneapolis scene has become....

Next up....

Declare This an Emergency
http://www.myspace.com/declarethisanemergency
09:46 PM on 11/18/06
jon_drummer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is a complete rip off of the band underoath. I tried listening to it all the way through and couldnt because it is so blantantly obvious...personally i found it discouraging to listen to. Dont get me wrong..they are catchy well written songs...but i had to remind myself more than once that no i wasnt listening to an underoath B side album, but a completely different band.
10:30 PM on 11/18/06
HiJailbait.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Im sick of all of you people who love MCS and FOB. get a life. they are not gods. and both are not that good.

i personally know these guys pretty well and i think they very good at what they do. i like to listen to them and im sick of you guys raging on them because of their label. yeah Victory is not a good label and has a lot of problems, but hey, they have a label. all of you burn outs with crappy garage bands wish you were just signed. like they are. saves the day is not a bad band either. Kevin has an amazing singing voice and their writing is actually very good. i havent really ever heard a song quite like "feel like fame" and im glad that they are a little more unique with some of their songs.
its hard to be unique in this music genre. its all heavy breakdowns and screamy screamy or pop punk crap that is on mtv non stop.
its hard to find a middle that doesnt suck. but i think they do it pretty well.
10:48 PM on 11/18/06
amac9029
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you listened to this band before they were signed, you knew that they were amazing and did a grea job representing Minneapolis. What Victory did to this band was terrible. Making Kevin the head man instead of Brian and putting the spotlight on singing instead of screaming is just not the Four Letter Lie we all knew and loved. I would think most of the old fans are disapointed, as I am, but I wouldn't say all of the songs on the CD are bad, but mostly a disapointment. Make your own dicision on the CD, this is strictly my opinion.
11:00 PM on 11/18/06
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
how much did alternative press pay u to say that

Worst comeback ever. There is no logic to this idea whatsoever.

Apparently the guy that wrote the revew for Four Letter Lie at Alt Press is in LOVE w/ ska. Right there, he has a bias. AND AGAIN he did not do his reserch and he cited Brian Nagan as the clean vocalist for Four Letter Lie. CLEARLY, the guy did not go into the review with no bias' ... he heard what some kids were saying, took it, and ran with it.

They should let me write ska reviews here, because they would ALL be negative. I don't like the genre.

I love ska? News to me considering I don't own a single ska CD.

If you're talking about ska-punk, I like a few third(/fourth?) wave bands like Streetlight Manifesto and Big D and the Kids Table. I'd hardly call it one of my favorite genres, though; ask anyone who knows me and they're likely to vouch for that fact. Even if I was madly in love with the style, say Brandon Allin-esque, I'm not entirely sure why that gives me a bias concerning some shitty nü-emo/metalcore band.

And why does such a minor error seem to somehow render my review invalid? I apologize that I did not correctly identify "Brian Nagan: contrived scream" and "Kevin Skaff: predictably 'endearing' clean singing;" the liner notes in Victory's promo simply did not state this.

As for Four Letter Lie, I'd never heard of them until they signed to Victory. I checked out their MySpace at the time and heard pathetically blatant Underoath aping. When I agreed to review the album, I heard the very same act.

Face it, this album is more forced than passing a stone.
12:10 AM on 11/19/06
saveyourshows
Brian Buckley
User Info.
i'm not going to be immature about this like some of the others, but this record is honestly horrible.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos