AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.88
Production 9.21
Creativity 9.54
Lasting Value 9.29
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (08/31/10)
Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats
Record Label: Sargent House
Release Date: September 7, 2010

Juggling technicality and accessibility is an art. When you think about it, music is a true division of art and entertainment. On one end (if you're in it for the right reasons) you're looking to be creative with it. Of course, you're also looking to have some fun with it and be entertaining. We've all seen both extremes of the spectrum. There are the elitists, and there are the Broadway performances. For me, I enjoy a nice compromise.

Without bringing out the old "pop" argument, Tera Melos' new full length Patagonian Rats is a bit more accessible than previous releases and contains some brilliant choruses. Do any of their chops suffer because of a few catchy riffs and lyrical lines? The answer is an emphatic no. The only thing their progression has done is encapsulate the idea that you can be creative and technical but still enrapture your audience without reaching too far "outside the box."

The first four tracks are prime examples. From the bright "Kelly" to the beautiful blend of the band's single "The Skin Surf," to the personal favorite "Aped," it makes you want to throw yourself into the blistering Sun while reading up for your Trigonometry III final. "In Citrus Heights" and the first half of "Party With Gina" are this season's flu that you want to catch and have take over your body. The songs are a brightly infectious timbre worth being bedridden.

Where Patagonian Rats may fall apart is in their closing sequence. It begins with the tail end of "Party With Gina," and then shifts to the feedback funhouse jam session of "Another Surf" and the fireworks display of "Westham United." While there is nothing wrong with how these songs are executed, it will take the listener for a Zappa-meets-Omar Rodriguez-Lopez spin that's a bit different from the rest of the record. If this kind of deviation is your thing, you'll absolutely love it. For others, it may just be too much noise for too long.

It's funny that so many older fans were taken away by the release of "Frozen Zoo," a track that seemed like a perfect throwback to '80s no-wave. If anything, the track is a mid-album rest from the party going on at the beach house at the end of the summer. In the end, after repeat listens, there's something new to enjoy with every return to Patagonian Rats. Some will deem it noise. Some will be turned away by the band's A.D.D. tendencies in timing and structure. To me, it's a headcase of sheer joy and excitement. Just as I'm beginning to grow sick of the heat, Patagonian Rats helps me feel refreshed again during this sweltering season.

Track Listing1. So Occult
2. Kelly*
3. The Skin Surf*
4. Aped*
5. Trident Tail
6. Frozen Zoo
7. In Citrus Heights*
8. Skywatch
9. Party With Gina*
10. Another Surf
11. Westham United*
12. A New Uniform/Patagonia

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeFang Island's Fang Island; Fall of Troy's Manipulator; Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band's Safe as Milk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
03:41 AM on 08/31/10
TheSkinBirth
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Was not dissapointed at all with this. "Aped" and "Westham United" are my favourate tracks here
03:50 AM on 08/31/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Great review. Album is so good.
04:39 AM on 08/31/10
givemegravity
nvr slp
User Info.
Perfect review. I can't stop spinning this album.
05:22 AM on 08/31/10
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
Great review, however I think you should have added Patagonia to those songs that "make you want to throw themselves yourself into the blistering Sun while reading up for your Trigonometry III final."

The last half of Trident Tail is one of my favorite moments on this record. That guitar line is so catchy & the sax solo is odd but fits so well.

Love this record.
06:37 AM on 08/31/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good record.
07:23 AM on 08/31/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Was not dissapointed at all with this. "Aped" and "Westham United" are my favourate tracks here

Love love love "Aped." one of my favorite tracks this year!
08:49 AM on 08/31/10
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
Great album.

Third paragraph in the review:" makes you want to throw themselves yourself"
10:01 AM on 08/31/10
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Great album.

Third paragraph in the review:" makes you want to throw themselves yourself"
aaaannnd fixed!
10:24 AM on 08/31/10
thehereaway
snickers at the swine flu
User Info.
I am really surprised with this album. I had a brief period with Drugs to Dear Youth but it never really held my attention long enough. However, this album is insanely good - the vocals are a really nice addition and it's a little more accesible. Tera Melos have certainely found themselves' a new fan.

Great album, although I do agree with the review that it slightly tails off toward the end.
12:17 PM on 08/31/10
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
man, i have never seen 'favorite' spelled that way.
12:29 PM on 08/31/10
funnypunk1988
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hmm, this band/record sounds nothing like the fall of troy. it's unfortunate that they are constantly compared to them. now that their wikipedia page is gone perhaps they'll stop getting that. that aside, good review!
12:33 PM on 08/31/10
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
hmm, this band/record sounds nothing like the fall of troy. it's unfortunate that they are constantly compared to them. now that their wikipedia page is gone perhaps they'll stop getting that. that aside, good review!
not exactly, but some of the guitar parts reminded me of Thomas...just sayin'
02:14 PM on 08/31/10
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
not exactly, but some of the guitar parts reminded me of Thomas...just sayin'
I can see some of the comparison, but certain parts (especially the stuff with the horns) remind me of Naked City.
02:22 PM on 08/31/10
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
I can see some of the comparison, but certain parts (especially the stuff with the horns) remind me of Naked City.
ahhh....I can see that...for some reason, some of that stuff reminded me of Dark Side of the Moon a bit...the latter half...but prob cause I'm a huge fan of that album...

now, to get my hands on that Face Tat record....
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums