AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: My Favorite Highway - 11.18.06

My Favorite Highway - 11.18.06

Interviewed by
My Favorite Highway - 11.18.06Because My Favorite Highway ran into van troubles heading up to the show this interview was scheduled for, we had to switch to an email interview. I want to thank Dave and Bobby for taking the time to type this out. Enjoy.

Name of everyone in the band and what they play.

Dave: Vocals and Piano
Bobby: Drums
Will: Bass
Brian: Guitar

What has My Favorite Highway been up to lately?

Dave: Well, we’re about to release our new EP, Anywhere But Here, and we’re showcasing for a few different labels here and there. We’ve also been spending a lot of time writing new material.

How old are you guys? How long have you been doing this?

Dave: We’ve been a band for two years now, Dave is 21, Bob is 22, Brian is 20 and Will is almost 20, so we’re all pretty much old men now.

Was there a moment, a show or practice or anything, when you knew this was something you wanted to pursue full-heartedly?

Dave: Absolutely, I think the second we started the band we knew this is something we wanted to really invest ourselves in. Will and I started the band last November and we knew from the start that if we were going to do this we were going to do it for real, it’s not something you can really do half-heartedly, at least if you’re expecting to go anywhere.

Bobby: I knew this would be something worth committing to the moment I first played with the guys. I’ve always wanted to be able to play music for a living and be in a band with my brother. Getting to be apart of My Favorite Highway has already fulfilled 50% of that goal.

Some of you guys are related. Does this make it easier or more difficult to play together?

Dave: Well… we’re like 50% related…. Bobby and Brian are brothers, and Will and I are first cousins; the Morgenthalers and Cooks are in no way related - there hasn’t been any in-breeding…yet. It definitely has its pros and cons, I mean, since we’re all related we know how to deal with issues such as fist-fights and verbal disputes. At the same time you can get really annoyed with one another because we’ve been around each other our whole lives so there are like those little things that get under your skin if you know what I mean, but we generally all get along pretty well.

You are about to release an EP. Looking back, what would you have done differently?

Dave: Recording our new EP was definitely a very different experience compared to how we went about recording our last three song EP, if you can even call it that. We worked with the same producer, Paul Barber (MAD PROPS TO RELLI), but we definitely went into this project with both feet forward, we knew what we wanted to hear on the other end, it was all very deliberate. Our last EP was our first experience, as a band, working with an actual producer who was more than just an engineer, Paul brought a bunch of sweet ideas to the table and helped us build our songs into something way better than they were in their original state. So, after kind of learning the ropes of recording and production, when I went back to write these new songs I was able to write them from a production stand point, which made going back into the studio a lot more fun because we were able focus on other aspects of the songs rather than trying to figure out any way to cut them down to three minute and thirty second pop songs.

Bobby: Our sound has been maturing a lot lately and this EP is proof of that. We’ve been able to work with some really great people this year so it’s tough to say what we would do different. I think the songs turned out better than even we expected them to. One thing we can definitely do next time is record more songs.

What is your favorite track off the EP?

Dave: My personal favorite is “You’re Making it Come Alive”, but the most fun song to play live is definitely “Closer,” so probably somewhere in between those two songs.

Bobby: I love playing “Closer.” It’s important for every band to have one song that you don’t have to think about when you play. My favorite track to listen to though is definitely “Unaware.” There’s just something about that song.

What do you plan to do afterward the release? Will you be going out on the road? With who?

Dave: We’ll be playing as many shows as we possibly can, we’ve got a handful of shows booked between Thanksgiving and New Years, not too many because I’ll be spending a majority of that time writing over the holidays, but once 2007 rolls around you can expect to see us up and down the west coast.

What's the oddest show you've ever played?

Dave: Umn, we played a girl’s 13th birthday party once… don’t laugh, I had fun. The cake was good.

What song are you guys sick of playing live?

Dave: You know, I personally enjoy playing all of our songs live, and I think the rest of the band would agree with me on this one – because whenever we get sick of a song live we kill it and never play it again, haha, but that’s only happened once. AKA – “Counterfeit.”

I want to address some rumors - I have heard that you guys are waiting to tour because you want a good package and full financial backing. Why is this? Don't you think that it would be more beneficial for you to get out on the road as soon as you can?

Dave: We get nailed all the time for not having toured, by everyone, including our moms. Up to this point in time we have only played on the East Coast during weekends. The whole weekend warrior deal has kind of been our thing. The truth is, we’re not snobs, and we’re not waiting to go on tour with the All-American Rejects, or for someone to put $40,000 in our bank account – as lame as it sounds, two of the guys are still in school, and I have a full-time job, so touring on the weekends has been the most convenient alternative we’ve had. We also don’t have a reliable van, haha. Every time we get more than 100 miles away from home I get very nervous. The inspection sticker reads: May 2005… yeah, not very good. Anyhow, I’m not trying to make excuses, and I know we lose a lot of respect from people and other bands for not just hitting the road and touring till we bleed asphalt; believe me, all of us want nothing more than to be out on the road, but right now we have financial responsibilities and other obligations we can’t walk away from yet, and when we get to a point when we can walk away from those things, we most definitely will.

What kind of rituals do you have in the van? Anything to pass the time?

Dave: I’ve watched Brian play Texas Hold ‘Em on Game Gear for six hours straight, and that was just amazing.

Bobby: Driving the van is how I’ve been known to pass time.

I always thought the Northern Virginia music scene was dominantly hardcore? Do you find it more difficult to play shows around your area? What makes the area unique?

Dave: Well, you know, I enjoy a good breakdown just as much as the next guy. I think the local hardcore scene is slowly dying down now. When we first started playing shows two years ago the only shows we could get on were hardcore shows, now that we’ve built a fan base we book most of our local shows ourselves so that is no longer the case. Will and I use to be big supporters of our local hardcore scene, but it’s gotten to the point now where these shows are just an excuse to fight, people are getting hurt and that’s just lame. Punching someone in the head doesn’t make you tough; it also has nothing to do with music.

Bobby: Actually, playing shows with harder bands hasn’t been as bad as you might expect for us. We’ve had a really great response from kids with a heavier musical diet and it’s built up our credit a bit. We’ve been really lucky to have such great fans and friends who listen to a wide variety of music.

MFH has some serious fans out there - I read on a fansite that a fan was going to fly from Washington (the state) to VA for your CD release show. Do you ever feel disillusioned or surprised when you hear about fans like this?

Dave: Haha, oh yes, that would be Jacqueline, I think we can safely say that she’s our biggest fan. She’s definitely dedicated, and we absolutely love her. Not disillusioned, or surprised, more just like… umn, well if you really think we’re worth the plane ticket then we can’t wait to see you there. Jacqueline is a perfect example of why we keep making music.

Bobby: I have to admit to being just a little surprised. I thought the music was great when I first joined MFH, but honestly didn’t think that there would be people all over the country who would think so too. It’s an honor to have so many people enjoy what we do. I hope we can make Jacqueline’s trip worth it.

Why aren't you guys signed yet? I imagine there has been some label interest. Have you've been holding out for the perfect deal, or is something in the works? What labels would you sign with in a heartbeat?

Dave: We’re currently talking with a few different labels; we’ve played a couple of showcases and have a few more we’ll be playing in the near future. I would say we’re holding out for the right deal, I don’t think any deal is necessarily going to be perfect, but we want to sign with a label that fits our personality as a band and that supports us as individuals as well as artists. We would definitely sign to Fueled by Ramen , Epic or Virgin in a heartbeat.

What current bands or sounds do you admire? Can you recommend us an unsigned band that we should check out?

Dave: I’m really in love with the new John Mayer record; I think he and his band are geniuses, that and the Killers new record, I don’t care what the critics say, it’s a great record. You should check out the band, Lorien, and Steve Moakler – they’re good friends of mine, they’re both unsigned, but they have great songs and I guarantee you that they’ll both be signed in like a year, mark my words.

Bobby: I’ve been listening to The Feeling and The White Album a lot lately (I’m in a British pop phase currently, sorry). If you want to write a pop hit that’s the blueprint. Steve Moakler too, that kid can write.

Any last words for AP.net readers?

Dave: Yeah, make sure you get your hands on a copy of our EP, Anywhere But Here, and make sure you tell everyone you know about My Favorite Highway, and thanks for reading this interview.

AP Profilehttp://www.absolutepunk.net/myfavoritehighway

Listenhttp://www.myspace.com/myfavoritehighway

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:13 AM on 11/18/06
backstagebethy
part-time punk
User Info.
hearing "counterfeit" again last night pretttty much made my life.
11:36 AM on 11/18/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Good interview.
01:15 PM on 11/18/06
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.

haha, basically!
02:21 PM on 11/18/06
heavyheart_x3
User Info.
omgshh Jacqueline is going to flip out when she reads this :] haha

good band and good interview!
03:13 PM on 11/18/06
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Nice interview, Julia.

I'm loving this band as much as everybody else on here. Awesome stuff!
03:19 PM on 11/18/06
The Matt Kaufman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice interview
03:57 PM on 11/18/06
starsinwaves
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

ditto! obviously.
06:22 PM on 11/18/06
falloutboy.
yo
User Info.
great interview, great guys and damn good music.
11:21 PM on 11/18/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

Hah, I take it the CD release show was a success.
11:23 PM on 11/18/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
omgshh Jacqueline is going to flip out when she reads this :] haha

good band and good interview!

That girl definitely deserves a shout out. Flying allll the was across the country?! That's fucking beautiful.
11:27 PM on 11/18/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Nice interview, Julia.

I'm loving this band as much as everybody else on here. Awesome stuff!

03:22 PM on 11/19/06
dwtf15
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these guys for real never tour. i only live about an hour away and they don't play anywhere within 20 miles.
07:10 PM on 11/19/06
jacnrh
Let's Go Oakland
User Info.
That girl definitely deserves a shout out. Flying allll the was across the country?! That's fucking beautiful.
Haha that's me =)
They played "Counterfeit" for me.
Pretty much my favorite song of all time.

I'm very surprised he typed out "Jacqueline". Dave is sooo lazy. Haha. He always calls me J-Lin. That's pretty much my East Coast nickname now.
What sweet kids.
It was worth it. I just love them more now. <3

Great interview. I'm glad an amazing site like AP.net is into such bands like MFH. They really deserve it. Andy G of Friday Night Boys too. He played; he's so goood.
11:10 PM on 11/19/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Haha that's me =)
They played "Counterfeit" for me.
Pretty much my favorite song of all time.

I'm very surprised he typed out "Jacqueline". Dave is sooo lazy. Haha. He always calls me J-Lin. That's pretty much my East Coast nickname now.
What sweet kids.
It was worth it. I just love them more now. <3

Great interview. I'm glad an amazing site like AP.net is into such bands like MFH. They really deserve it. Andy G of Friday Night Boys too. He played; he's so goood.

You are awesome. My parents would think I'm on crack if I told them I was going to fly cross country for a show.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos